Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I always see this Midland 75 in the top 10. It has a lot of features, good quality build, and support for different accessories. I have it and like it, but haven't used it that much since I have a CB in my rig. I keep the handheld for emergencies.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

A handheld CB isn't very good due to the antenna requirements of CB, unless they are connected to an external antenna. The Midland that Rolando linked is unique as it can be converted from a handheld to a mobile as desired.
A handheld CB is bad enough but trying to use it inside the vehicle with it's stock little rubber duck antenna will just not provide the performance you probably want.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
A handheld CB isn't very good due to the antenna requirements of CB, unless they are connected to an external antenna. The Midland that Rolando linked is unique as it can be converted from a handheld to a mobile as desired.
A handheld CB is bad enough but trying to use it inside the vehicle with it's stock little rubber duck antenna will just not provide the performance you probably want.
To add to this... I find handhelds clumsy to use while paying attention to the trail - all the wires and buttons and grabbing for the unit. I much prefer the simplicity of grabbing for the mic of a permanently mounted mobile radio - just a lot easier and less to manage while driving. And you really want to get your antenna mounted outside of the vehicle as high and centrally located as possible - way better reception and less eye pokey badness.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Honestly yelling out the window will probably be more effective than a handheld cb, heck its nearly better than a mobile mount cb . Most folks are using frd/gmrs and ham nowadays and for good reason they work better farther. Having said that I do have all 3, and cb just because I was an 80s kid and remember grandpa using one. Since cb airwaves are dead in my area and there is noone to talk to i use mine primarily for the external pa function to yell at people on the road that do something stupid.

A handheld cb will be a line of sight deal, where if you can see em on the trail you can talk. If you can't see em then it will be spotty if works at all. Alot like an old radio shack walkie talkie. You might get 3 miles of range out of a handheld cb without an external antenna.

Mobile base unit cb with external antenna will get about 18 mile range on a good day .

Frs/gmrs handheld radios will get around 27 mile range on radio to radio operation and much further if there is a repeater

Handheld ham radio will get probably around 30 ish mile range in normal radio to radio and with a repeater can reach across country and on odd days even across the world.

Last edited:

Traxx

Rank 0

Contributor II

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Grishom
Good idea, I looked into it a bit and it seems like $49 to $99 price range. I believe it would work well during a trail run to keep in contact with other rigs.
Uniden, Midland and Cobra all have a model.
Good option for not having a hard mount radio.

Reactions: Ubiety

Stinkbug 867

Rank 0

Contributor III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Shawn
Member #

I have cb and also gmrs as well I like the gmrs because u can have a better reach with them in the mountains and desert areas plus if some one needs one I have a extra to loan them.

Reactions: RoarinRow

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

Honestly yelling out the window will probably be more effective than a handheld cb, heck its nearly better than a mobile mount cb . Most folks are using frd/gmrs and ham nowadays and for good reason they work better farther. Having said that I do have all 3, and cb just because I was an 80s kid and remember grandpa using one. Since cb airwaves are dead in my area and there is noone to talk to i use mine primarily for the external pa function to yell at people on the road that do something stupid.

A handheld cb will be a line of sight deal, where if you can see em on the trail you can talk. If you can't see em then it will be spotty if works at all. Alot like an old radio shack walkie talkie. You might get 3 miles of range out of a handheld cb without an external antenna.

Mobile base unit cb with external antenna will get about 18 mile range on a good day .

Frs/gmrs handheld radios will get around 27 mile range on radio to radio operation and much further if there is a repeater

Handheld ham radio will get probably around 30 ish mile range in normal radio to radio and with a repeater can reach across country and on odd days even across the world.
Respectfully, no way a handheld FRS/GMRS radio is getting a 27 mile simplex range under anything but extraordinary circumstances, such as mountain top to mountain top, or over open water.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

The Midland that @RoarinRow posted is probably your best option because it can be easily connected to an external antenna and power. I have the Cobra WX ST75 in the Jeep and have been happy with it. It’s permanent mount but all the controls are on the mic and it tucks out of the way when not in use.

As for the questions about range, GMRS and Ham radios are generally limited by terrain and line of sight more than power. The radio horizon for any of these options on flat ground with an antenna about 8 feet above the ground is about 5-7 miles. If both antennas are 8 feet off the ground, you‘re looking at 10-16 miles realistically for the radio horizon. If your antenna is higher off the ground you can calculate your expected range here. CB is another story. 3-5 miles on flat open terrain is about the best you can hope for and it’s usually going to be less than that.

I have Ham, CB, and GMRS/FRS in my truck. CB is the busiest on the interstate by far. Ham gets used the most off road. I have yet to hear anyone outside of my group on GMRS/FRS.

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

The Midland that @RoarinRow posted is probably your best option because it can be easily connected to an external antenna and power. I have the Cobra WX ST75 in the Jeep and have been happy with it. It’s permanent mount but all the controls are on the mic and it tucks out of the way when not in use.

As for the questions about range, GMRS and Ham radios are generally limited by terrain and line of sight more than power. The radio horizon for any of these options on flat ground with an antenna about 8 feet above the ground is about 5-7 miles. If both antennas are 8 feet off the ground, you‘re looking at 10-16 miles realistically for the radio horizon. If your antenna is higher off the ground you can calculate your expected range here. CB is another story. 3-5 miles on flat open terrain is about the best you can hope for and it’s usually going to be less than that.

I have Ham, CB, and GMRS/FRS in my truck. CB is the busiest on the interstate by far. Ham gets used the most off road. I have yet to hear anyone outside of my group on GMRS/FRS.
I have the same CB in my JKU. I'd 100% get rid of it if it wasn't so heavily used by truckers on the highways... I've avoided several huge delays because of the info I've gotten via ch. 19!

Reactions: J.W. and RoarinRow