Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Looking for recommendations on camp showers, something under $50 that is reliable. Looked at a number of foot pressurized showers, the hand held battery operated pumps, but reviews are mixed.

I have sort of honed in on this one. What I like about it:
  1. Small, compact
  2. Sill holds 1.5 gallons, seems to be enough to rinse off if you lather up separately using a face cloth and soap
  3. No electrical parts to break
  4. Not cloth, more reliable than water pouch type showers

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
That's what I use, picked one up at Lowes. I boil water in a pot then mix half hot half cold and it works like a champ.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I've been using this for 4 years. Probably not as reliable as manual pressurized methods but I use a large pot or collapsible dish tub for double duty. One charge (via USB) lasts many showers.

Reactions: lhoffm4

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I've been using this for 4 years. Probably not as reliable as manual pressurized methods but I use a large pot or collapsible dish tub for double duty. One charge (via USB) lasts many showers.

I use the same version of this sold by Bass Pro. A collapsible bucket with warm water works great for a warm shower and the entire kit crambs into a small cubby in the back of the car.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I can't see any of these pictures or links or whatever ya'll are posting.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

Small size is important to me. After trying several devices (Big Kahuna, Zodi , early Nemo with the tiny fill hole(?), etc) I settled on this Nemo. When compacted for travel, it is 1/4 the size of the Hudson sprayer types. If I had less money, I could probably work with a bucket and a washcloth pretty much just as well .

Reactions: Sparksalot

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

The little black one I’ve been using for many years, can’t beat the little bleach pump sprayers. The other one is my new 2 gal 3.0 version and on the back side there’s a valve stem so I can use the air compressor (with regulator) for pressure. Adapting the sprayer hose to a kitchen sprayer was a worthwhile upgrade.

Attachments

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

The little black one I’ve been using for many years, can’t beat the little bleach pump sprayers. The other one is my new 2 gal 3.0 version and on the back side there’s a valve stem so I can use the air compressor (with regulator) for pressure. Adapting the sprayer hose to a kitchen sprayer was a worthwhile upgrade.
I'm the OP. Many thanks for the ideas. I did exactly this above over the weekend. I was going to use a garden hose sprayer but found someone on youtube that recommended a sink side sprayer like you did. The hose is nice and long and the 1/4" barb to NPT fittings made it super easy to assemble.

Works great! Trial run I got a little bit over 3 minutes of constant spray from the 2-gallon sprayer and the pressure is decent. I think the garden hose would not restrict flow enough and would not get the same run time. This will work great for my basic needs.

I do want to buy quick connect fittings to use close tot he tank side so I can remove the hose easily for packing up and in transport. It is a little awkward as-is, or maybe I just need to use a bungee of some sort to wrap the hose around the tank and hold it in place.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I'm the OP. Many thanks for the ideas. I did exactly this above over the weekend. I was going to use a garden hose sprayer but found someone on youtube that recommended a sink side sprayer like you did. The hose is nice and long and the 1/4" barb to NPT fittings made it super easy to assemble.

Works great! Trial run I got a little bit over 3 minutes of constant spray from the 2-gallon sprayer and the pressure is decent. I think the garden hose would not restrict flow enough and would not get the same run time. This will work great for my basic needs.

I do want to buy quick connect fittings to use close tot he tank side so I can remove the hose easily for packing up and in transport. It is a little awkward as-is, or maybe I just need to use a bungee of some sort to wrap the hose around the tank and hold it in place.
See if you can find a threaded cap that fits where the sprayer line comes out. I started looking but it was easier to just wrap the hose around and tie off

Reactions: Nickel

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I love my 2 gallon bug sprayer setup. Not only is it useful for showering, but it works great for dishes duty and putting out a fire.
View attachment 239370

Seriously what's not to like?
  1. Portable
  2. Reasonably compact
  3. Light
  4. No electronics to fail, worst case is a pressure leak due to o-ring or hose, but it likely won't be a 100% failure and will still be usable until repaired (see #5)
  5. Easily Repairable or easy to find replaceable parts
  6. Inexpensive
  7. Easy to customize hose length to suit needs

Reactions: KonzaLander

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Well perhaps one that was stainless steel that could be heated directly over a camp stove would be nice. Plus a temp gauge would be optimal. =)

Reactions: MazeVX

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Well perhaps one that was stainless steel that could be heated directly over a camp stove would be nice. Plus a temp gauge would be optimal. =)
Years ago we used a Hudson Sprayer (brass) heated on a fire, it was a mess to transport.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

I had the Zodi** Extreme unit, which was exactly this, and made out of stainless steel. Used it 3 or 4 trips, happily sold it to a guy who wanted a way to wash down his youngsters. Too big, too heavy, and the parabolic bottom superheated the Coleman propane stove when heating the water.
** Now dead, apparently.

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I had the Zodi** Extreme unit, which was exactly this, and made out of stainless steel. Used it 3 or 4 trips, happily sold it to a guy who wanted a way to wash down his youngsters. Too big, too heavy, and the parabolic bottom superheated the Coleman propane stove when heating the water.
** Now dead, apparently.

Appear to still be around. This feels like overkill. I was going for simple, basic. Not too hard to leave it out in the sun to warm up or mix in a pot of hot water with cool water for a quick camp shower. Also not sure heating up water in a pressure tank is a smart idea.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
** Now dead, apparently.
Well, if too large, they come in smaller 1 and 2 gallon sizes which are no larger than the equivalent plastic version. 2 gallons would probably be more ideal and better matched to typical camp stoves. Make the base 10-12" in diameter for better stability. The "parabolic bottom" could have vents out the side, like a jet boil. Or the bottom could be more flat like a stovetop pressure cooker.

Appear to still be around. This feels like overkill. I was going for simple, basic. Not too hard to leave it out in the sun to warm up or mix in a pot of hot water with cool water for a quick camp shower. Also not sure heating up water in a pressure tank is a smart idea.
You would certainly heat the water first before pressurizing.