Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
You can always start here - HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools

Assuming you want to start out with the first type of Ham license which is the 'Technical Class' license. You could read the 'Read Questions' section to give you an idea of what questions will be asked.

I picked up this e-book from Amazon and used it in conjunction with Hamstudy.org. This way I had a logical way to remember the questions/answers and had a way to quiz myself. Once I started passing the Practice Tests on Hamstudy.org with consistent results, then I took my test online...

If you don't already know there are about 400+ questions, but you will only be asked 35 questions of the pool of questions based on different sections of the book/questions from Hamstudy.org. The 35 questions are different for everyone.

Good luck!

TIER 7

Rank 0

Contributor I

USA
First Name
J
Last Name
T
I'm looking for some info on getting my ham license.
Buddy -

How do you learn best? Visual learner listener, hands on, reader?

I have 7 children who got their initial licenses at ages ages 8 up through 18.

They were all different in their learning styles and our approach was different with each on how to help them pass the test.

Let me know what style learner you are and I might be able to help. I’ve instructed many classes and am volunteer examiner.

Happy to help any way I can.

James

Reactions: RainGoat

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'm looking for some info on getting my ham license.
Buddy,
We can help you, several of our Sierra Foothills members are VE's and will get you hooked up with training and a test locally.
Email Dave Dingal he is the guy that gave the class the other night at the meet-up. daved3285@gmail.com
Drop buy on your way home if I am in the shop and we can talk about it.

Buddy kirkes

Rank V

Traveler III

Ione, CA, USA
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Kirkes
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Buddy -

How do you learn best? Visual learner listener, hands on, reader?

I have 7 children who got their initial licenses at ages ages 8 up through 18.

They were all different in their learning styles and our approach was different with each on how to help them pass the test.

Let me know what style learner you are and I might be able to help. I’ve instructed many classes and am volunteer examiner.

Happy to help any way I can.

James
I'm a visual hands on learner.

Buddy kirkes

Rank V

Traveler III

Ione, CA, USA
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Kirkes
Member #

Service Branch
Army
You can always start here - HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools

Assuming you want to start out with the first type of Ham license which is the 'Technical Class' license. You could read the 'Read Questions' section to give you an idea of what questions will be asked.

I picked up this e-book from Amazon and used it in conjunction with Hamstudy.org. This way I had a logical way to remember the questions/answers and had a way to quiz myself. Once I started passing the Practice Tests on Hamstudy.org with consistent results, then I took my test online...

If you don't already know there are about 400+ questions, but you will only be asked 35 questions of the pool of questions based on different sections of the book/questions from Hamstudy.org. The 35 questions are different for everyone.

Good luck!
Thank you

Reactions: RoarinRow

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Maybe this post will help you.

I do need to update it though, given the current situation most of the testing currently is being done through apps such as Zoom where the VE team can watch you take the test.
Hamstudy.org/sessions will show the virtual test sessions and provide sign up info. ((How to article has been updated with current testing situation))

Last edited:

Buddy kirkes

Rank V

Traveler III

Ione, CA, USA
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Kirkes
Member #

Service Branch
Army

I do need to update it though, given the current situation most of the testing currently is being done through apps such as Zoom where the VE team can watch you take the test.
Hamstudy.org/sessions will show the virtual test sessions and provide sign up info.
Thank you

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hamstudy.org/sessions will show the virtual test sessions and provide sign up info. ((How to article has been updated with current testing situation))
Thanks for the info, I’d put it on hold figuring no way for in person exams right now.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Thanks for the info, I’d put it on hold figuring no way for in person exams right now.
Many clubs have gone to offering virtual exams. Check out www.hamstudy.org/sessions
It does involve a computer or device with a camera so the VE (Volunteer Examiners) can watch you to make sure you aren't cheating but with few clubs doing in person testing right now it may be the only way to get your license for a while.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
On the eastern side of your state they are testing every other month. 20 people got their tech license last Sunday, 5 upgraded to General, and 3 Extra Upgrades from one test session.

My club is offering testing case by case. In fact we tested last Saturday and I hear we are testing again very soon.

To find a test session go to Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area and fill in the search tools.

Wildcat-01

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Bay Area, California
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Tonelli
I see that you're in Ca, are you anywhere near Sonoma County?
My Dad is part of the Sonoma County Radio Amateurs club and helps teach licensing classes, they typically have a class every few months, it's one long weekend.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Here in Germany, tests have started again recently. It s a class room event. Due to Covid-19 aof course with a hygiene concept now. I have an appointment for the test next week. Will share experiences afterwards here.

Have a nice weekend!
Bjoern

Reactions: Wildcat-01

2xAGM114

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Just got my Technician a few weeks ago. I used HamStudy.org exclusively. Two weeks of studying in my off time and I was ready to test.

The test is easy, and I have no engineering in my background. Some questions you choose to hit the "I Believe" button and move on (memorize the answer and get on with it). I didn't have the time nor inclination to learn every aspect of some concepts.

Get 'er done!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just got my Technician a few weeks ago. I used HamStudy.org exclusively. Two weeks of studying in my off time and I was ready to test.

The test is easy, and I have no engineering in my background. Some questions you choose to hit the "I Believe" button and move on (memorize the answer and get on with it). I didn't have the time nor inclination to learn every aspect of some concepts.

Get 'er done!
Congratulations. When you get your call sign add it to your profile, and make sure to add it to the Call Sign Registry.

We have a Weekly Net every Friday at 5:30 Pacific time on EchoLink.

An introduction on EchoLink and how to access Grits N Garvey

Welcome to OB. Fill in your profile so we can get to know you better. I am the Director for the Northwest. Knowing you are in Eastern Washington, your closest Member Representative is either @Sandpoint Steve (Spokane and further north) or @PNW EXPLR (Tri Cities).

Why Didn’t I get Invited? How do I become more active?

Once again Congratulations and welcome to the Overland Bound Comunity.

Mike Rose
KJ7MFV
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

Get 'er done!
Congratulations!

OscarMk

Rank III

Educator I

Humble, TX, USA
First Name
George
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5GDA

Get 'er done!
Thanks for the hamstudy.org link! I had been toying around with the idea of getting my license. This site was the perfect prep course for me.