Cerritos, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Pagan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IYM
I'm new to HAM but would appreciate an educational overview of Off-Road Communications using HAM. As a trailmaster in my group, we use GMRS to communicate Vehicle to Vehicle. I often communicate with the last vehicle to make sure they are in range and still moving. I will also give warnings to other drivers about trail obstacles, especially when it's dusty or dark, to avoid vehicle damage. We also discuss if we still want to take side trails if time is in question to reach our next campsite, when to take breaks for food or "business". Sometimes we are just joking around and giving people hard times about the days adventure... we are of course good friends!

How often should we broadcast our callsign?
Can we address each other by name after we broadcast our callsign?
Do we really have to do it every 10 minutes? Sometimes we are on a trail for hours...
I know there is CB Lingo and it's frowned upon in the HAM world, but is there HAM Lingo?

We use the Baofeng Handheld and have Channels pre-programed into our radios memory but I create a Numbered Frequency Card before each trip so if we have to switch to alternate channels we are using our Numbering system to select frequencies instead of broadcasting the frequency over the radio or stoping to change channel.

Anyway, thanks for the ongoing support! I'm glad I joined Overland Bound!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

For ham radio, see my responses in green.

How often should we broadcast our callsign? Every 10 minutes and when the conversation is over
Can we address each other by name after we broadcast our callsign? You can address each other anyway you would like, by name or tactical call sign (ex: Bravo 1, Tailgunner, sweetie... :yum: ) as long as you ID using your ham call as noted above.
Do we really have to do it every 10 minutes? Sometimes we are on a trail for hours... It is the rule.... middle of the nowhere, not using a repeater, running low(ish) power.... don't ask.. don't tell. :wink:
I know there is CB Lingo and it's frowned upon in the HAM world, but is there HAM Lingo? There are a lot of Q codes, some are used on FM such as QSL, QSY, .... Just say what you need to say especially if you are running in a group. No cussing and no music but other than that just say what you need to say like you are having a conversation.
And to be honest if GMRS is working for convoy/trail comms I don't see any reason to switch to ham radio. Having ham radio capability is good but no reason to replace a system that seems to be working well.
We have a nice communication section you should check out if you aren't already familiar with it as there is a lot of good info: Overland Communications

Last edited:
Reactions: LostInThought

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
There is a group I wheel with which is very ham radio focused and they have much of this down pat.

The biggest issue for them is that everyone have a true dual band radio. This is a big deal because they have one channel for chit-chat (i.e. trading insults) and a separate channel for the trail boss. Doing this means the trail boss can always get important instructions through to the group without having to wait for a break in the banter. This matters. The trail boss needs to let everyone else know which way to go at a fork in the road, if there is oncoming traffic or if that dip on the left really means it. And that information needs to get out in a timely fashion. With that taken care of the rest of the group can roundly rib the poor soul who missed that detail about the dip while his third harmonic (i.e. offspring) was messing with the codes in the radio.

Many details of etiquette are going to vary by group and geography. If you are out in the boonies where no one else can pick up your simplex signal then some of the usual restraints will go out the window. Use of call signs is often the first thing to go. Politeness may be next (depending on the group). How far it devolves will depend on who is there to uphold a standard.

But not everyone is willing to step up to a dual band radio, so different expectations will be needed.

(And lest anyone think the folks referred to above are low-born cretins, most of these guys have known each other for decades. The group itself is 50 years old this year. They have lots of history together and it is all in good natured fun.)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
How often should we broadcast our callsign?
Can we address each other by name after we broadcast our callsign?
Do we really have to do it every 10 minutes? Sometimes we are on a trail for hours...
All of these are answered in the Technician’s study guides and are actual questions on the test.
When wheeling with groups in simplex I notice one of us forgets to use our call sign but another one of us reminds the rest by saying his call sign during his banter, then the rest fallow suit... also last trip we had “Kalifonia”, “Old Dady”, “TG” and a few other “Handles” we through out there.

I highly recommend getting yourself a radio to set up as a base station... nothing fancy, even a cheap single band mobile will work... set up onto your local repeaters and join in on a few “Rag Chew” Nets. If you’re not comfortable talking just an ounce your name, Call Sign and Location to the net as an “In and Out”. Then just listen in.

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
For ham radio, see my responses in green.

And to be honest if GMRS is working for convoy/trail comms I don't see any reason to switch to ham radio. Having ham radio capability is good but no reason to replace a system that seems to be working well.
We have a nice communication section you should check out if you aren't already familiar with it as there is a lot of good info: Overland Communications
I second that. My handheld wouldn't allow me to transmit so I brough backup GMRS radios that worked just fine. I like HAM but these were just as good. I decided to always have a HAM because more people have licenses now.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I second that. My handheld would allow me to transmit so I brough backup GMRS radios that worked just fine. I like HAM but these were just as good. I decided to always have a HAM because more people have licenses now.
And it’s going to get easier to get licensed in the future...