Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
Well, there's a lot to all that. So let's break some of it down.

Bonding/Grounding: Things like the Gobi rack don't make bare metal to bare metal contact. They attach over painted surfaces and while they may show a DC current short, at RF frequencies you may have several thousand to a few million ohms of impedance. To keep any spare current you develop on the rack from grounding through the shield of your coax back to your radio (and possibly causing damage to the radio) you should use straps (1/4" to 1/2" wide is good start) from each leg with the paint removed between the contact points, and painted over to prevent corrosion after final install to the body and preferably the frame as well. Make sure you use flat strap and not just wire as the higher surface area of the strap lowers the impedance of the connection and makes it the more desirable path for stray RF.

I have my radio wired straight to the battery with a 40A circuit breaker, 40A solid state relay, and 4 position fuse block for future add ons. The relay is triggered by a 12V switched signal from one of my accessory ports in the Xterra. This has worked very well and could easily be set up to be triggered by your SPOD if you choose. But I run my radio 24/7/365 when driving. The only time it doesn't get used is when the wife drives the X for some reason and cuts it off. (is off when key off)

MARS/CAP is not legal unless you are a registered MARS member. So don't worry much about it right now.

As for the radio coming pre-programmed, that's understandable from someone coming from radio services with established channels and frequencies such as CB, FRS/GMRS or business licenses. However there's so much more to Ham and being able to program your radio on the fly and make changes in order to make contact are key to getting the most out of your radio. Buy a Nifty manual for your radio and spend some time getting used to using it. It's hard to help a radio user who's having trouble on the air if they don't know how to operate their radio.

I always recommend getting at least lightly involved in a local radio club if for nothing else than to have good help available when you have issues with gear or procedures. They can be a huge help and I've made lots of good friends in my local club as well as having a blast operating during events like Field Day and local QSO parties.

Thank you very much for the reply and the info! I will be going into full learning mode prior to the test!

Reactions: TerryD

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Just because the cable and connector is the same does not mean the antenna will "work" If you learn the info in the test instead of doing a cram session, you will learn that antennas are very frequency specific. CB antennas are designed for 27mhz normally. While that is close to the 10 meter band and can be tuned, it will not work for 2 meters and .7 meters and the mismatch can damage your radio.
I think there may be a misunderstanding here. I was simply responding to the earlier comment that "Some may argue the coax cable is different for HAM and CB ", and not making any comment about antenna length, resonance, or impedance (other than the cable).

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I'm looking for a good setup for my truck, hopefully under $200. What are you guys running in your builds?
You didn't mention what bands you were looking for or what you need/want to do with your radio so here's my $0.0.

If you're looking for 2M only it's hard to beat a Yeasu FT-2900R, I see them for $125-140 a lot. The 2900 is a 75 watt, 2M radio that pretty much bullet proof, it's got a 10 channel WX band built in, and has a 3 watt built in speaker so it's easy to hear too. Yes I know Yaesu has replaced it with the FT-2980 with is pretty affordable but you could get a 2900, quality antenna, coax and pretty much everything else you need for $200 and have money left over for coffee and donuts.

@64Trvlr Thanks for your advice. I should probably update my initial post with more detail. Currently I plan to use ham as a way to connect to others when overlanding/offroading and to connect to other information like weather. So talking to others in my group, talking to spotter, receiving weather updates. Also as I've read through peoples advice and done more research on my own I found APRS capabilities interesting. However I know if I want something with APRS I will need a bigger budget.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I don't know about guru... #radionerd maybe.
@Dr. Rock/Paper/Rumble you can get a nice name brand (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood) 2m mono band for $125-$150, add some coax, antenna, and mount and you are in it for about $200.
You can get a Yaesu FTM-7250 dual band for just a smidge under $200 itself.

You might look at some used gear as well from ebay, eham, qrz...etc.
Of you can get dual band Chinese radios ranging from $70 up to $200.

I prefer a dual band radio with a remote head as it makes for an easier install especially in a newer vehicle where space to mount a radio may be limited.

I run 3 ham radios... a dual band for voice , a 2m mobile for APRS, and a HF radio.
For general comms you can get by with less, but I also dove into ham radio as a hobby.
Dual band on the left, tablet controlling the 2m radio, and HF on the right. All 3 radios are mounted in the rear.
View attachment 136634

Antennas:
View attachment 136636
How do you like APRS on the 2m and a tablet? I am trying to decide between the Yaesu FTM=400xdr and the Icom 7100 ... If I go for the Icom, I will probably do what you did because APRS is something I'm really interested in.

Thanks

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
For all of us that are wanting to get the YAESU FTM-400XDR within the next few months, do you think we could contact YAESU and initiate a group by to lower the price a little bit? just a thought

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
For all of us that are wanting to get the YAESU FTM-400XDR within the next few months, do you think we could contact YAESU and initiate a group by to lower the price a little bit? just a thought
Highly doubt that. They probably sell thousands of radios a month.

Reactions: M Rose

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

How do you like APRS on the 2m and a tablet? I am trying to decide between the Yaesu FTM=400xdr and the Icom 7100 ... If I go for the Icom, I will probably do what you did because APRS is something I'm really interested in.
Thanks
I like it because I can still use my dual band radio to monitor two frequencies and the APRS radio just does it's thing, but it's another radio you have to place somewhere..another antenna you have to mount. I assembled my system over time as I could afford it, consequently I ended up with 3 radios. But if you like having the extra capability of monitor two frequencies AND having APRS then a separate dedicated APRS radio may be good for you.
I also like that I can leave my APRS radio on, turn the tablet screen off and stow it away and still have it tracking my Jeep.... poor man's lojack I guess.

Reactions: Itacal and TerryD

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I'm SORRY ! I couldn't wait any longer...pulled the trigger and bought mine two nights ago. It will be here today!
Congrats on the new radio, but what did you buy?

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
I'm SORRY ! I couldn't wait any longer...pulled the trigger and bought mine two nights ago. It will be here today!
I have a 7900 in my truck and a 400 currently wired up in the garage feeding a Diamond X300 antenna. The 400 is BY FAR the better of the two. Programming is a breaze using the memory card, true dual band and dual monitoring. In field/mobile memory entry is intuitive. Channel memory seems almost endless and also is separately programmable for the upper and lower controls. Already thinking about moving the 400 to the truck and using the 7900 in my field kit for ECS.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Is there a similar RAM ball mount for the KENWOOD 710?
The 710 does not have a nice place to connect a single ball, however there are a couple of options.
Lido Mounts has a mount that uses the quick release head mount with a ball below it. I am not sure on the size of the ball though I am sure they would tell you if you contacted them, it may be usable with Ram mount or 67 Design products. A little much to pay for only using 1/3 of the item you purchased. Dash Suction Cup Mount For All Kenwood Mobiles

There are a number of 3D print files to make a ball mount for the Th-D710. ram mount for kenwood d710 and ram ht holder

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I like it because I can still use my dual band radio to monitor two frequencies and the APRS radio just does it's thing, but it's another radio you have to place somewhere..another antenna you have to mount. I assembled my system over time as I could afford it, consequently I ended up with 3 radios. But if you like having the extra capability of monitor two frequencies AND having APRS then a separate dedicated APRS radio may be good for you.
I also like that I can leave my APRS radio on, turn the tablet screen off and stow it away and still have it tracking my Jeep.... poor man's lojack I guess.
Any thoughts on the Icom 7100?

Thanks

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
The 710 does not have a nice place to connect a single ball, however there are a couple of options.
Lido Mounts has a mount that uses the quick release head mount with a ball below it. I am not sure on the size of the ball though I am sure they would tell you if you contacted them, it may be usable with Ram mount or 67 Design products. A little much to pay for only using 1/3 of the item you purchased. Dash Suction Cup Mount For All Kenwood Mobiles

There are a number of 3D print files to make a ball mount for the Th-D710. ram mount for kenwood d710 and ram ht holder
Option1: I like the printed ball adaptor which utilizes the quick release.
Option2: I found that RAM Mounts base attachment with ball ... that MIGHT work. Need to check the Kenwood backing mounting holes.

For now I used my RAM Mounts phone holder ... fits quite well. This will do for now and give me time to decide on the long term solution.
ABDEB21F-083F-40E6-B4E5-822BCB1BFA21.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Any thoughts on the Icom 7100?
Thanks
I have no personal experience with one but a co-worker does have one and seems to like it. He has had MANY mobile HF radios and I think he has stuck with this one the longest.
The control head seems a bit more difficult for a mobile install. He has a F-150 and there is a cubby hole in the console that the radio fits down into well but most other vehicles will likely have a harder time.

For an all band, all mode rig with dstar, digital voice, and a nice touch screen, it seems like a pretty good deal at the current price ($749.95).
If I was currently in the market for an HF radio if would be a toss up between the 7100, though as I mentioned the control head would cause me some frustration, and the Yaesu FT-891.
The FT-891 does lack the VHF/UHF capability but is it also $200 cheaper.
To keep the number of radios to a minimum, the 7100 would be the better choice... in my opinion.

Reactions: Itacal

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

For now I used my RAM Mounts phone holder ... fits quite well. This will do for now and give me time to decide on the long term solution.
I did the same thing for my TS-480. It works ok, I do like the easy of removing it, but the control head does rotate a little bit over rough roads.

Do you have a link to the ram mount you mention?

Reactions: 06tacodude