Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The one @Sandpoint Steve gave a brief review of is the YASU FTM-400D, it’s now a FTM-400XDR. Currently on sale for 449.95 until the end of the month at both Ham Radio Outlet and Gigi Parts, it normally runs $549.95.
It's been running around the $450 mark for probably a year now. Shortly after the sale first hit they were on back order, but things have leveled out now.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Prerunner1982 after looking more into it and seeing all the possibilities of things like aprs I think my 200 price range will need to be shifted. I think I would want aprs features, whats the go to do it all ham radio or what setup would you recommend if more than one radio is better? I need to figure out how much I need to save haha.
The Kenwood TM-d710G and the Yaesu FTM-400XDR are about the only two mobile radios on the market right now that do APRS and voice at the same time.
At the time I starting purchasing mobile radios, almost 7 years ago... if the 400XDR would have been the price it is now, I would have gone that route.
I pieced my set up together over time as I could afford another radio so that is how/why I ended up with a separate APRS radio. I like it as I still have the dual band for voice on to monitor another frequency while the APRS radio does it's own thing but installing multiple ham radios really isn't the best option when you are short on space to mount the bodies, especially if you are also going to run a CB and GMRS.
For the average overlander that wants ham and APRS the TM-D710G or the FTM-400XDR is really the way to go for the easiest install.
If you already had a ham radio and wanted to add APRS after the fact I may advise differently but if you have NO radio and already know you want APRS those two radios are really the best option.
Some people do get by with using a cheap handheld for APRS, either having it wired directly to a phone or tablet or using a bluetooth TNC (Terminal Node Controller) which is wired to the radio but bluetooths to the phone/tablet.
I tried the cheap HT route at first but was not happy with it and went to a 2m mono band specifically to be used for APRS.

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I love my Kenwood... Smaller form factor. I have never had any issues other than an old microphone giving a pinging sound but that was resolved with switching to a different mic. I have no experience with the 400.. Pretty colors but also a larger display. If you have room for that cool. My Kenwood sides above my rearview mirror out of the way.

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
The 400 will allow you to monitor and talk to 2 frequencies at the same time. this makes it easier to talk to different people in your group easily.

Also, it has the ability to output APRS data with the supplied cable to a pc or android(I can not confirm or deny apple device). This will let you plot onto your Topo maps the locTion of anyone in your group broadcasting APRS data(gps)

If you wait for it to be on sale you can save a bunch of $. You will not be disappointed.

View attachment 136983
Can you attach a HAM to a CB Firestick for better distance?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Can you attach a HAM to a CB Firestick for better distance?
???

Antennas are not the same. Firestik does make a ham antenna though. It’s also not that simple. Like any antenna location is everything. The higher the better. Some may argue the coax cable is different for HAM and CB but I have not had any issues with using the same mount with the different antennas.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I am going to muddy the water a little bit.
Can you use a cb antenna for ham radio? Sure.. it's just not as easy as plug and play.
It's typically a 102" whip (really a 10m antenna but commonly used on CB) and requires an antenna tuner or loading coil and is used for HF frequencies.

But it won't necessarily improve the distance over any other mobile HF antenna.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
Can you use a cb antenna for ham radio? Sure.. it's just not as easy as plug and play.
It's typically a 102" whip (really a 10m antenna but commonly used on CB) and requires an antenna tuner or loading coil and is used for HF frequencies.

So Im pulling the trigger on a Yaesu 400xdr. Im going to get the "Diamond K400SNMO mount" for the hood of the JK and the "Diamond NR770HBNMO antenna". Will these suffice for most Overlanding situations?

JPaul

Rank V

Pioneer I

Mendon, UT, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1JPA
Antennas can be a whole topic on it's own, but yes, the above will work just fine for overlanding or any other general travel. Diamond makes good antennas from my understanding, and the hood is probably the best place on a Jeep for the antenna since you want as large a metal surface area as possible to act as the groundplane for the antenna. Normally the middle of the roof is best overall. But there is a conspicuous lack of sheetmetal on the roofs of Wranglers.

I suggest looking at KØBG.COM for information relating to mobile installations, you'll want to pay particular attention to the bonding section. You don't necessarily have to worry about it just right now, but it is something that will help immensely with reception and transmission. I still need to add good bonding to my rig once I get my Icom installed, which will hopefully be in the next month or two.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Antennas are not the same. Firestik does make a ham antenna though. It’s also not that simple. Like any antenna location is everything. The higher the better. Some may argue the coax cable is different for HAM and CB but I have not had any issues with using the same mount with the different antennas.
Both HAM and CB should use standard 50 ohm cable, often RG-58 in automotive applications.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

So Im pulling the trigger on a Yaesu 400xdr. Im going to get the "Diamond K400SNMO mount" for the hood of the JK and the "Diamond NR770HBNMO antenna". Will these suffice for most Overlanding situations?
Oh absolutely. I don't have personal experience with Diamond but they are a popular brand among hams.
However, if you wanted to save a little money... a flat fender mount (such as https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/mobile-antenna-mounts-264/fender-bracket-mounts-268/nmo-straight-brackets-1514/) works good as well.NMO CB 2.jpegNMO CB 3.jpg

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
If you are looking for a tough little NMO antenna, the Tram dual band NMO is a tough little unit. Mine has been smashed into roofs in garages, bent back by limbs, and generally abused for about 3 years now. Not bad for a $20 antenna.

Also remember that gain numbers don't always make the antenna. Depending on terrain, a standard 1/4W can be much more useful even though it doesn't post the high gain numbers of some of the other antennas out there. Some times higher radiating angles are needed to make contact in deep valleys and foot hills.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
If you are looking for a tough little NMO antenna, the Tram dual band NMO is a tough little unit. Mine has been smashed into roofs in garages, bent back by limbs, and generally abused for about 3 years now. Not bad for a $20 antenna.
I have a GOBI Ranger Rack on order...10 weeks to go :( ... in my ignorance I do not know if I should mount the antenna on the hood of my jeep (drivers side close to the a-pillar), fender, or the Gobi cage... I will keep reading and researching and asking questions as I move forward. Its funny that I have talked on radios my whole adult life (Air Traffic Control) and do not know boo about Bonding, what MARS CAP does or doesn't do as an upgrade, how to program a $500 radio that I feel should come programed for $500 :) , if I should connect straight to the battery or is connecting to the Spod okay....and on and on ....

Reactions: TerryD

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Both HAM and CB should use standard 50 ohm cable, often RG-58 in automotive applications.
Just because the cable and connector is the same does not mean the antenna will "work" If you learn the info in the test instead of doing a cram session, you will learn that antennas are very frequency specific. CB antennas are designed for 27mhz normally. While that is close to the 10 meter band and can be tuned, it will not work for 2 meters and .7 meters and the mismatch can damage your radio.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I have a GOBI Ranger Rack on order...10 weeks to go :( ... in my ignorance I do not know if I should mount the antenna on the hood of my jeep (drivers side close to the a-pillar), fender, or the Gobi cage... I will keep reading and researching and asking questions as I move forward. Its funny that I have talked on radios my whole adult life (Air Traffic Control) and do not know boo about Bonding, what MARS CAP does or doesn't do as an upgrade, how to program a $500 radio that I feel should come programed for $500 :) , if I should connect straight to the battery or is connecting to the Spod okay....and on and on ....
Well, there's a lot to all that. So let's break some of it down.

Bonding/Grounding: Things like the Gobi rack don't make bare metal to bare metal contact. They attach over painted surfaces and while they may show a DC current short, at RF frequencies you may have several thousand to a few million ohms of impedance. To keep any spare current you develop on the rack from grounding through the shield of your coax back to your radio (and possibly causing damage to the radio) you should use straps (1/4" to 1/2" wide is good start) from each leg with the paint removed between the contact points, and painted over to prevent corrosion after final install to the body and preferably the frame as well. Make sure you use flat strap and not just wire as the higher surface area of the strap lowers the impedance of the connection and makes it the more desirable path for stray RF.

I have my radio wired straight to the battery with a 40A circuit breaker, 40A solid state relay, and 4 position fuse block for future add ons. The relay is triggered by a 12V switched signal from one of my accessory ports in the Xterra. This has worked very well and could easily be set up to be triggered by your SPOD if you choose. But I run my radio 24/7/365 when driving. The only time it doesn't get used is when the wife drives the X for some reason and cuts it off. (is off when key off)

MARS/CAP is not legal unless you are a registered MARS member. So don't worry much about it right now.

As for the radio coming pre-programmed, that's understandable from someone coming from radio services with established channels and frequencies such as CB, FRS/GMRS or business licenses. However there's so much more to Ham and being able to program your radio on the fly and make changes in order to make contact are key to getting the most out of your radio. Buy a Nifty manual for your radio and spend some time getting used to using it. It's hard to help a radio user who's having trouble on the air if they don't know how to operate their radio.

I always recommend getting at least lightly involved in a local radio club if for nothing else than to have good help available when you have issues with gear or procedures. They can be a huge help and I've made lots of good friends in my local club as well as having a blast operating during events like Field Day and local QSO parties.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Antenna height is key, but you may have to compromise depending on your height requirements. I don't have any real height requirements so my antennas are on the roof, just keeps me from going through drivethrus.... probably better that way.
Bonding helps tie all the large metal parts of the body together, it makes a better "ground plane" and may also help reduce RFI. Straps are commonly run from body to frame, hood to body, and exhaust to frame/body.
MARS/CAP mod opens up the transmit frequency of the radio to frequencies outside of ham radio. Most people that do it aren't MARS (Military Auxiliary Radio System) members and do it to use their ham radio on frequencies that the radio is not certified to be used.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ

I've cut down a 102" whip for a 6m antenna before. It worked good but 6m isn't useful mobile (at least in this area).

Now, to further confuse this issue, it's possible to build a matching circuit to get the antenna to "look" like it's tuned. It's hard to say how it'd work though. Probably some odd radiation angles coming of that sucker. The little coil type dummy loads for 11m (Looking at you Firestik) would be a nighmare of reactance and might even serve to short themselves out or appear as an open circuit depending on the inductance in those coils at those frequencies.

Let's say for the sake of simplicity, DON'T DO THIS. Can it be done? Probably. Is it going to be anything other than a convoluted mess of circuitry that only serves to lower your ERP and turn your output power into a heater in the back of your rig? Probably not....

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Just because the cable and connector is the same does not mean the antenna will "work" If you learn the info in the test instead of doing a cram session, you will learn that antennas are very frequency specific. CB antennas are designed for 27mhz normally. While that is close to the 10 meter band and can be tuned, it will not work for 2 meters and .7 meters and the mismatch can damage your radio.
He wasn't saying the antennas would work, just that the coax would work for either.
It was in response to 1Louder's comment that some may say the coax is different.

Reactions: slomatt and 1Louder