Ham Radio....This thing on? Radio check? QST?

• HTML tutorial

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Sooooo, I got my HAM radio license a few months back. I immediately re-programmed and jumped on my Baofeng handheld radio to key up on some local HAM frequencies. To this day....I've had ZERO response to my inquiries on the channels, my callsign, etc.

I have ensured that my frequencies and sub-tones in CHIRP are correct, and am using proper etiquette for keying up. In addition, I've tried multiple channels. I know my radio works as I have used HAM UHF/VHF frequencies with other friend off-roaders recently. Yet, when it comes to to local amateurs....nothing, no response, no feedback.

I'm beginning to believe that others who can hear me are disregarding cause they don't know my callsign and/or perhaps, I'm doing something wrong.

Any thoughts? I just want someone to talk to me! Even if it's just to let me know my radio is working. LOL.

#Lonelyhammer

CUCVDRIVER

Rank 0

Contributor II

Sooooo, I got my HAM radio license a few months back. I immediately re-programmed and jumped on my Baofeng handheld radio to key up on some local HAM frequencies. To this day....I've had ZERO response to my inquiries on the channels, my callsign, etc.

I have ensured that my frequencies and sub-tones in CHIRP are correct, and am using proper etiquette for keying up. In addition, I've tried multiple channels. I know my radio works as I have used HAM UHF/VHF frequencies with other friend off-roaders recently. Yet, when it comes to to local amateurs....nothing, no response, no feedback.

I'm beginning to believe that others who can hear me are disregarding cause they don't know my callsign and/or perhaps, I'm doing something wrong.

Any thoughts? I just want someone to talk to me! Even if it's just to let me know my radio is working. LOL.

#Lonelyhammer
Hey are you using a local Repeater? Have you researched any local Ham clubs? And have you tried calling CQ CQ CQ (Your call sign) most clubs have a weekly net on a Repeater around 8 pm local time. Also where are you located I can try and help.

Kevin
KB1KBT

Reactions: ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Hey are you using a local Repeater? Have you researched any local Ham clubs? And have you tried calling CQ CQ CQ (Your call sign) most clubs have a weekly net on a Repeater around 8 pm local time. Also where are you located I can try and help.

Kevin
KB1KBT

Hey Kevin,
Yes, I've tried the repeater channels with the sub-tones. I have tried throughout the day, often right after I hear other conclude their conversations (so as not to disrupt). I haven't tried the CQ as I was under the impression the C codes are a bit outdated. I'm in the Central Valley, CA.

CUCVDRIVER

Rank 0

Contributor II

Hey Kevin,
Yes, I've tried the repeater channels with the sub-tones. I have tried throughout the day, often right after I hear other conclude their conversations (so as not to disrupt). I haven't tried the CQ as I was under the impression the C codes are a bit outdated. I'm in the Central Valley, CA.
CQ is definitely not outdated we use it on HF all the time. But also make sure your radio has the right offset programmed. either negative or positive. You should hear the Repeater beep or "curchuck " when you stop transmitting. If you don't you might not be actually keying the repeater. Also you may be out of range to reach the repeater with a hand held even though you can hear it. I hope this helps. Any way I can help let me know

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
You don't normally hear someone call CQ on a repeater. Generally throwing out your call and "monitoring" IE "KT4OZ monitoring" and you may or may not get a response. It seems that a lot of repeaters have just turned into local watering holes but I've made several contacts while traveling. I also try to answer calls from people I don't recognize just to have some traffic on the machine.

As mentioned, monitor it throughout the day as you are able to listen for a net and check in to that net.

I've also had folks reply to me throwing out a "testing" IE "KT4OZ testing". Some published tones are incorrect so you may be kerchunking the machine but not opening the voice because the info isn't up to date online. Check it against a few data bases such as Repeater Book, ARTSci, and Radio Reference just to be sure the info is accurate.

Attend a meeting of your local club and make some face to face contact with folks and they are much more likely to reply to you when you call on the machine. Plus it's a great way to gain knowledge in amateur radio in general.

One question, are you hearing the repeater tail after you unkey? I don't know what kind of terrain you are in or what distance you are from the machine but HT's can be finicky about getting into a repeater even though you might hear it perfectly.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
You don't normally hear someone call CQ on a repeater. Generally throwing out your call and "monitoring" IE "KT4OZ monitoring" and you may or may not get a response. It seems that a lot of repeaters have just turned into local watering holes but I've made several contacts while traveling. I also try to answer calls from people I don't recognize just to have some traffic on the machine.

As mentioned, monitor it throughout the day as you are able to listen for a net and check in to that net.

I've also had folks reply to me throwing out a "testing" IE "KT4OZ testing". Some published tones are incorrect so you may be kerchunking the machine but not opening the voice because the info isn't up to date online. Check it against a few data bases such as Repeater Book, ARTSci, and Radio Reference just to be sure the info is accurate.

Attend a meeting of your local club and make some face to face contact with folks and they are much more likely to reply to you when you call on the machine. Plus it's a great way to gain knowledge in amateur radio in general.

One question, are you hearing the repeater tail after you unkey? I don't know what kind of terrain you are in or what distance you are from the machine but HT's can be finicky about getting into a repeater even though you might hear it perfectly.
I do hear the kerchunk on a local amateur repeater. Which I guess leads to my frustration.

I will double check my +/- offsets again on my frequencies in CHIRP, however, I'm pretty sure they are correct.

I was also hoping not to have to join a club to talk on HAM, as time is tight and I figured HAM was an easy way to talk to others locally (and not locally for that matter.) Let me look into it though. Thanks @TerryD and @CUCVDRIVER

Reactions: CUCVDRIVER

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

#Lonelyhammer
One important step when programming your boefang that is not in the manual you have to program the transmit frequency INCLUDING the offset. So if you would enter 146.460 for the recieve ( The next step is what the manual dosent explain) when you enter the the transmit frequency including the offset so you would enter 147.060 not 146.460 the baofengs dont change the transmit frequency by just changing the + or - in the menu.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
All I can say is, as a new HAM, every HAM I’ve met so far is so eager to talk to new people and “Spread the Gospel of HAM,” if you’re not getting a response it is UNDOUBTEDLY because no one is hearing you. Good luck finding your solution.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
One important step when programming your boefang that is not in the manual you have to program the transmit frequency INCLUDING the offset. So if you would enter 146.460 for the recieve ( The next step is what the manual dosent explain) when you enter the the transmit frequency including the offset so you would enter 147.060 not 146.460 the baofengs dont change the transmit frequency by just changing the + or - in the menu.
I use Chirp to program my baofeng, but thanks for the tip in case I manually have to program a duplex channel.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
All I can say is, as a new HAM, every HAM I’ve met so far is so eager to talk to new people and “Spread the Gospel of HAM,” if you’re not getting a response it is UNDOUBTEDLY because no one is hearing you. Good luck finding your solution.
Ha! Its gotta be me then....I just find it odd I get no response on simplex, duplex or all the above. I'll keep pushing PTT and trying! LOL

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Are there weekly nets? If so try to check into them.
Does the local club do any events? Try to attend some and help out. Field day (June 29-30) is a big event, if they participate they would likely appreciate any help they can get setting up and tearing down (especially tearing down) even if you aren't a member and it's good hands on experience for you. You can also get on HF and make some contacts.
Just have to get your name, face, and call sign out there.
And sometimes people are just so stuck in their little groups, that happens in every hobby I think.
You might think about getting your General license, get on HF, and move outside of the local stuff. There are almost always a contest going on every weekend (QSO parties), DX, and people who like to chat. I'm not a chatting person (can't tell that here huh?) so I enjoy the quick exchange of contest and DX.

Reactions: TerryD

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
I was also hoping not to have to join a club to talk on HAM, as time is tight and I figured HAM was an easy way to talk to others locally (and not locally for that matter.)
You may not need to join a club to find a local net - a few of the clubs around me publish details of their weekly nets on their websites.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I was able to talk to a repeater today successfully from my area. As I am waiting for my daughter at school, I chimed in on the Salinas, CA repeater and got a response from a city about 15mi away.

I took your advice and keyed up with my call sign KM6YFE and "Testing" and got a response back within seconds.

I feel honored. Haha!

And I know my offsets and sub tones are working! [emoji6][emoji4]

Thanks all, Mike

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Another way to get the hams talking is to follow up your "testing" with "checking a new setup / change" and you will have all of them asking what radio, antenna, etc, etc.... The crowd local to me is pretty tight, so, talking equipment is a quick way to get them to open up tp a new person.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Throw in another vote for the "CallSignHere radio check / testing setup". Another one to break the ice is asking for a local traffic report if you are commuting.

When I started, I got a lot of the same, outside of the group I was with when I got licensed. What helped me the most was an app called RepeaterBook on my phone which gave me the settings for stuff based on proximity.

One hint with repeaters, is that you should be able to hear the CallSign message every 10ish minutes if you are dialed into something active/functional.

Also, on the west coast if you are along I-5 you can use the Peak network repeater system which connects the I-5 corridor pretty much from top to bottom. I have always had good luck making contacts using Peak.

More stuff I learned to recognize...

If you are just using the HT, you are likely able to pick up much much more than you can hit at full power, especially on the stock antenna. Make sure the HT is high, held up straight, and outdoors for best conditions. Calling from inside a vehicle without an external antenna is also killer if that applies to you.

As for simplex, I have never made a random contact yet.

Last edited:

Red Earth Runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bethany, OK
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5AXG
Throw in another vote for the "CallSignHere radio check / testing setup". Another one to break the ice is asking for a local traffic report if you are commuting.

When I started, I got a lot of the same, outside of the group I was with when I got licensed. What helped me the most was an app called RepeaterBook on my phone which gave me the settings for stuff based on proximity.

One hint with repeaters, is that you should be able to hear the CallSign message every 10ish minutes if you are dialed into something active/functional.

Also, on the west coast if you are along I-5 you can use the Peak network repeater system which connects the I-5 corridor pretty much from top to bottom. I have always had good luck making contacts using Peak.

More stuff I learned to recognize...

If you are just using the HT, you are likely able to pick up much much more than you can hit at full power, especially on the stock antenna. Make sure the HT is high, held up straight, and outdoors for best conditions. Calling from inside a vehicle without an external antenna is also killer if that applies to you.

As for simplex, I have never made a random contact yet.
I’m curious - have you tried calling on the national calling frequency 146.520 FM at the top of the hour?

It’s possible you might catch someone who monitors that frequency. I think that would be about your best chance to make a random contact on vhf FM. I made a few simplex contacts testing my mobile install on the NCF.