Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
Installed my radio, got APRS working/ was able to listen to NOAA. Installed solar/charge controller, now APRS won’t work, can’t listen to NOAA. Anyone have this issue, and how did you resolve it?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

What solar controller are you using?
When I was looking at solar equipment I often read that the PWM type controllers were more likely to cause RFI than the MPPT controllers.
I found a review on the Renogy Voyager 20a waterproof PWM controller from a ham noting that it did not cause any RFI.
I took the leap of faith and so far I have not had any RFI from it, I use it often when operating ham radio though that typically consists of HF.
In a couple weeks I will be using it again while playing ham radio and will have my APRS and dual band rigs going as well and will note if any interference exist.

Reactions: RoarinRow

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have the Renogy Voyager (PWM) controller and haven't experienced any RFI either. APRS transmissions still get out and are received with the same regularity as they did prior to the solar install.

What panel and controller are you using? Are your solar power and ham power/antenna wires run together? Does the RFI stop if the solar panel is unplugged?

Reactions: Prerunner1982