Rank 0

Contributor I

Chicago, IL
First Name
Eimis
Last Name
Savickas
Hello all!

I've been researching about HAM Mobile powered by 12V cigarette socket (2016 Toyota 4runner) and getting mixed info. Maybe someone could help me out here. I know that ideally connecting it to a battery is the best way, however, i am not sure how often i will be using the radio, so I'd like to explore other options that allow me to quickly install and remove the setup when necessary. So far, i found out that - if using cigarette power socket, i won't be able to use all 50W of the radio (most likely), but 25W would do it for me. Also, there's a risk of blowing fuses and so on, but not sure if its 100% true. I did find cigarette plug cables to connect to the radio.

What are your thoughts on this?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I only use the lighter socket for a handheld. A mobile radio should go to the battery, not only due to the amperage, but for noise isolation. The lighter socket wiring is bundled with everything else, so can be a path to a noisy signal transmitted.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hello all!

I've been researching about HAM Mobile powered by 12V cigarette socket (2016 Toyota 4runner) and getting mixed info. Maybe someone could help me out here. I know that ideally connecting it to a battery is the best way, however, i am not sure how often i will be using the radio, so I'd like to explore other options that allow me to quickly install and remove the setup when necessary. So far, i found out that - if using cigarette power socket, i won't be able to use all 50W of the radio (most likely), but 25W would do it for me. Also, there's a risk of blowing fuses and so on, but not sure if its 100% true. I did find cigarette plug cables to connect to the radio.

What are your thoughts on this?
You could probably run a dedicated power feed from the battery into the cab, and use a rated fuse and plug. This would allow you to unplug and remove the radio, and get the benefits of full power.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

What is the amp rating on the cig or power port socket?
If it is 20amps you could probably use 50 watts, but I would personally turn the power down.
The Yaesu FTM-400 is a 50 watt radio and it comes with a 15Amp fuse but does recommend a power supply with at least 20 amps current capacity.
Also cig/power ports may also induce RFI or Radio Frequency Interference, which is another main reason to go directly to the battery.

emtuzas

Rank 0

Contributor I

Chicago, IL
First Name
Eimis
Last Name
Savickas
Hmm, I guess Handheld radio is a possibility, if I could find one that can be charged (by cig plug) while being used at the same time? But then I will have signal issues, that means I would still have to run antenna cable into the cab and plug it in to that handheld radio, correct?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am going to make my Mobile Unit swappable between rigs. For my power plug I am going to be using Anderson Power Poles:

For the Radio Side

For the Vehicle Side

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hmm, I guess Handheld radio is a possibility, if I could find one that can be charged (by cig plug) while being used at the same time? But then I will have signal issues, that means I would still have to run antenna cable into the cab and plug it in to that handheld radio, correct?
You should be able to find battery eliminator's for most radios. They replace the battery and have a cable to plug into the cig/power port.
You may also want a radio holder and a hand mic.
You can get an adapter to connect an external antenna to the handheld radio.
You kind of end up with cord/cables running in every direction.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
it depends. The ht rubber duck won't go far inside a vehicle, but that may not matter depending on distances in your situation. Are you trying to hit repeaters, or talk to vehicles nearby in a convoy?

In general a temporary/portable setup will be a mess of cables, especially with multiple radios.

Reactions: Downs and M Rose

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
So I'll start with the original question. No a mobile rig should ever be powered off a cigarette light plug. They simply are designed for that kind of power draw. And no matter what if you have an external antenna you are going to be running wires into the cab of the vehicle. My advise is this. Run a quick disconnect power cable for a mobile rig. That way you can still quickly and easily remove the radio if that is what you desire. As for a handheld, you can and it might meet your needs. But I am one of those people who says if you are going to do something do it right. So if it were me I'd just take the time and effort and do a full blown mobile radio install. The radio doesn't have to be expensive and if you do it right the radio is not intrusive.

Last edited:

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Look in your trucks user manual in the electrical section and see what size fuse they are using for the cig Jack. Then look in the radios manual and see what the Current transmit spec is. It’s probably around 13 amps. If you didn’t buy the radio yet look on the net for the user manual and get the data there. Cig lighters are usually around 10 amps. So the answer is no on 50w. We have the same problem when we go to Colorado, we rent Jeep Rubicons. I have a 2M Kenwood 281 set up for portable use in a pelican case. I can’t use the Jeeps cig jacks for the power. I made a 10 foot DC extension cord with alligator clips so I can run directly from the battery from under the hood to the cab with a cig lighter plug so I can plug the radio in. Being careful not to damage or mark the rental. Now the issue is the new Jeeps are mostly plastic and the only place I could find for the mag mount antenna was the rear wheel well inside the cab which sucks even though the signals will go thru the fiberglass top and the glass rear side windows.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm late to the party. How about this?

I wouldn't personally bother with that gizmo. Hamocans are neat and this one looks well built but that is NOT a 25-50 watt radio as the reviewer (who appears to know very little about radios overall) says it is, it's a 10 watt VV-898 dual band radio. It's a 60 dollar radio. I ran one for about a year and a half in my Jeep because it's so tiny and the 10 watts it puts out was adequate for what I needed it to do and I talked all over SOCAL with it.

You're basically paying someone 200 dollars to put a 60 dollar radio into a 10 dollar ammo can with a 10 dollar UPS battery.

That 279 dollars would be much better spent on a good mobile unit to put in your vehicle.

Reactions: glade8r