First Name
Philip
Last Name
Casteel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB4RIP
Hi all!

I was just posting here to see if anybody may have any experience modifying a TYT TH 7800. My issue seems to come from that I bought it from a US distributor, so it is properly locked down to the 2m and 70cm band. I would like to be able to monitor our GMRS and NOAA channels, but in its current configuration will not allow me to tune into those frequencies.

Most of the TYTs come with a frquency range that is out of the HAM bands, but as I said, mine does not. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it!

Thank you, and stay safe!
Philip KO4DDM

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Reactions: Ubiety and pcjfro

pcjfro

Rank II
Launch Member

Member II

Troutville, VA, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Casteel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB4RIP
Looks like "Joe" was able to get it to work with the programming software. Does that work on your radio?

Does this radio support gmrs and frs transmit/receive?
Answer:
Yes, but the radio needs to be unlocked through the program:
In the software, go under Frequency Range, press F11, and input password 9800TYT.
It is illegal to transmit on FRS/GMRS frequencies, but not for emergencies and for listening.
By Joe on April 22, 2020

Awesome! This is exactly what I ended up needing. these instructions, and the TH-7800 programming software from grapevineamateurradio.com are what worked for me. For some reason the software I got from TYT and from MTC would not recognize my radio.

Thank you for the link!

Reactions: Ubiety and Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Next time you need to change up a radio like that google "MARS CAP MOD" Nearly any radio can be opened up like that, a lot of the "Big three" use a part on the board that has to be snipped out or a wire cut and others only require software changes.

Reactions: Ubiety and pcjfro

pcjfro

Rank II
Launch Member

Member II

Troutville, VA, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Casteel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB4RIP
Next time you need to change up a radio like that google "MARS CAP MOD" Nearly any radio can be opened up like that, a lot of the "Big three" use a part on the board that has to be snipped out or a wire cut and others only require software changes.
I had tried to find some info based off of that, but most of the TYT radios weren't locked down like that. This was a software lock that had been added to comply with the FCC.

Thanks for the info though!

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I had tried to find some info based off of that, but most of the TYT radios weren't locked down like that. This was a software lock that had been added to comply with the FCC.

Thanks for the info though!

I helped a buddy install a Btech UV25X2 in his truck a few days ago. Open as a barn door lol. Either they're still working though old stock or they dont care.

Reactions: pcjfro

pcjfro

Rank II
Launch Member

Member II

Troutville, VA, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Casteel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB4RIP
I helped a buddy install a Btech UV25X2 in his truck a few days ago. Open as a barn door lol. Either they're still working though old stock or they dont care.
I think it depends on where it comes from. This one I bought from a US dealer who kept them in stock in their storefront as opposed to getting one that shipped straight from China. I'm assuming that is the only difference and where my problem arose from.

I was even told by another friend that their TYT was open already and I shouldn't have a problem haha

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
These are shipping straight from Amazon.

Reactions: pcjfro

pcjfro

Rank II
Launch Member

Member II

Troutville, VA, USA
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Casteel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign