Jamestown, Fentress County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
I just got my technician license for amateur radio. I bought a TYT TH-7800 with a removable head unit and I Own a 2013 GMC Terrain. I am mounting the body of the radio on the underside of the dash and the removable head unit under the stereo in the center console. I am having trouble finding a place to get the power wire through the firewall and don’t want to run it through my fender and through the doorway. Does anyone have any info about how to approach this.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I don't know the Terrain at all, but do you have a positive post in the interior fuse box? Some older GM vehicles had that. There are also the "add a circuit" piggy back adapters that you could use. These give you the option of switched, or non-switched, depending on what you need power for.

Just make sure it's installed the correct direction or it won't be fused correctly.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I would recommend going directly to the battery, I know its a pain in the butt. A lot of circuits cannot handle the current load. I also would go directly to for the ground also. I have a Kenwood 2M I have set up for portable use, when we travel to Colorado we rent Jeeps to do the trails. The cigarette plug in the dash cannot handle the current and the radio will,shut down if you try to transmit. The jeeps accessory jack in the back of the jeep will so I use that one for the radio and the dash one for my GPS. The radio draws 14A on transmit.

Tallen79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
I would recommend going directly to the battery, I know its a pain in the butt. A lot of circuits cannot handle the current load. I also would go directly to for the ground also. I have a Kenwood 2M I have set up for portable use, when we travel to Colorado we rent Jeeps to do the trails. The cigarette plug in the dash cannot handle the current and the radio will,shut down if you try to transmit. The jeeps accessory jack in the back of the jeep will so I use that one for the radio and the dash one for my GPS. The radio draws 14A on transmit.
My intention is to connect directly to the battery. The problem I’m having is finding an area to go through the firewall. Right now I have the wires running through the top of the fender then through the doorway into a removable panel on the side of the dash down to the bottom where I have the body of the radio mounted. I’d prefer to have the wires through the firewall but I’m not seeing an area I can go through. I have been busy with my 2yo boy since I started this post. Once he lays down for a nap I’ll post some pics of how I have it right now

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Sounds like a drill and a properly sized grommet is your answer then. And don’t forget the fuse.

Reactions: Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

My intention is to connect directly to the battery. The problem I’m having is finding an area to go through the firewall. Right now I have the wires running through the top of the fender then through the doorway into a removable panel on the side of the dash down to the bottom where I have the body of the radio mounted. I’d prefer to have the wires through the firewall but I’m not seeing an area I can go through. I have been busy with my 2yo boy since I started this post. Once he lays down for a nap I’ll post some pics of how I have it right now
Look for speedo cable, wire or hose, basically anything going through the firewall there is usually a rubber grommet or seal around it. Put a little bit of dish soap on your wires and push them beside the existing cable or whatever to see if you can slide/push it through the same hole. I would go with what m_lars above suggested.

Tallen79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
Only thing that’s going through the firewall that I can find even putting it up on the rack is the ac/heater lines, main harness (which is basically a big plug that bolts the inner main to the outer main) and the transmission shift linkage. I agree the drill and grommet sounds like the best solution. As of right now they are not linking or chafing so I’ll just leave it the way it is and take it into a radio shop somewhere and have them do it. Was hoping that someone on here had some experience doing this on this model of vehicle and had a solution. But here’s some pics. IMG_0145.JPGIMG_0144.JPGIMG_0141.JPGIMG_0142.JPGIMG_0146.JPG

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Only thing that’s going through the firewall that I can find even putting it up on the rack is the ac/heater lines, main harness (which is basically a big plug that bolts the inner main to the outer main) and the transmission shift linkage. I agree the drill and grommet sounds like the best solution. As of right now they are not linking or chafing so I’ll just leave it the way it is and take it into a radio shop somewhere and have them do it. Was hoping that someone on here had some experience doing this on this model of vehicle and had a solution. But here’s some pics. View attachment 73369View attachment 73370View attachment 73371View attachment 73372View attachment 73373
Yeah, I see what you mean. Looks like you would have to take a lot of stuff out even to get to the firewall , might want to try coming in from the other side. Use something you can see and get to for a point to drill close to. If you keep your harness where it is at put some splitloom on your wires to clean it up and prevent chaffing.

Tallen79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
Yeah, I see what you mean. Looks like you would have to take a lot of stuff out even to get to the firewall , might want to try coming in from the other side. Use something you can see and get to for a point to drill close to. If you keep your harness where it is at put some splitloom on your wires to clean it up and prevent chaffing.
Good call on the wire loom. Wasn’t even thinking about that. Will get some on my next trip to the store.

Reactions: Flipper

Dillon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ8J
Congratulations on your license! I can’t tell from your photos, but you can usually find space to get through the firewall on the driver’s side. There may be space near the steering wheel or there may be an unused plugged hole on that side.

A good place to get vehicle specific info like this is in a Terrain forum, or stereo installation forum. You should run the power an ground wires from your radio all the way to the battery and fuse both sides.

Good luck with your installation!

Tallen79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
Congratulations on your license! I can’t tell from your photos, but you can usually find space to get through the firewall on the driver’s side. There may be space near the steering wheel or there may be an unused plugged hole on that side.

A good place to get vehicle specific info like this is in a Terrain forum, or stereo installation forum. You should run the power an ground wires from your radio all the way to the battery and fuse both sides.

Good luck with your installation!
Yea the powers wires are ran straight to the battery with both sides fused. I tried getting to the steering shaft but I’m just not flexible enough to get there ... so I’ll just take it into a radio shop or the dealer and let them deal with the headache [emoji57]

ArmyGrunt

Rank 0

Traveler I

I just got my technician license for amateur radio. I bought a TYT TH-7800 with a removable head unit and I Own a 2013 GMC Terrain. I am mounting the body of the radio on the underside of the dash and the removable head unit under the stereo in the center console. I am having trouble finding a place to get the power wire through the firewall and don’t want to run it through my fender and through the doorway. Does anyone have any info about how to approach this.
So, I have zero experience with GM products...but...some experience with Ford and Toyota. On both of those there is generally enough room around the steering column collar through the firewall. On the Toyota I can squeeze 2 or 3 good sized leads through there if I had to, on the Ford and my guess is on most GMs you could fit a small child through the opening. On most vehicles foreign or domestic in the vicinity of the steering column you will typically find the passthrough for the main wire harness there is usually room to spare or will be with a very quick modification of the grommet...just snip off a bit of the internal diameter. Another option is to use any one of the environmental passthroughs for the AC or air vents. Any and all will work generally with minimal effort. Good luck and happy hunting.