Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
It works great for my needs. Multi-band, inexpensive (relatively!), cross-banding to my HT when needed, clear as a whistle, etc. I've been very happy with it and I can monitor airband in my area. Recommended!:sunglasses:
I got my TH-7800 today. What software did you use to program the unit? I tried Crirp and that didn’t work with my Windows 10 laptop. The unit came with a mini CD but my laptop doesn’t have a CD slot lol.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I got my TH-7800 today. What software did you use to program the unit? I tried Crirp and that didn’t work with my Windows 10 laptop. The unit came with a mini CD but my laptop doesn’t have a CD slot lol.
Is your software from RT systems? They have a download page to use in case you don’t have a cd drive. You’ll use the same software key to activate it.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Is your software from RT systems? They have a download page to use in case you don’t have a cd drive. You’ll use the same software key to activate it.
The disk that came in the box is generic. No name. But I just like 5 mins ago I saw the RT systems website who charges $25 for the software.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
The disk that came in the box is generic. No name. But I just like 5 mins ago I saw the RT systems website who charges $25 for the software.
The disk came with the radio? Was it new? Kenwood May have a similar download feature on their support website.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The disk came with the radio? Was it new? Kenwood May have a similar download feature on their support website.
Check out Kenwood’s site for software. I had to get some programming SW recently for a Kenwood HT and had to download free programming SW direct from K’s web site.

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
After having moved I finally got around to reprogramming my HT yesterday to the local area repeaters, It was nice to be able to talk again.

Reactions: Ubiety

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yup the radio is new but is made by TYT. RT Systems does have a software download, but you also have to buy their special USB Programming Cable. Oh well lessons learned.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I upgraded to General at the beginning of the month... thinks about getting a vanity CS.
Awesome, congrats! I'm still waiting for my vanity CS for my Tech license... I hear it takes 2+ weeks to process..

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Dang, how did you know lol. 'JJS' are the first name initials of my 3 kids in order of their age. :)
Excellent! If you would have waited much longer that one wouldn't have been available either since they are currently issuing suffixes starting with JI.

Reactions: RoarinRow

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I probably shouldn't even be bothering with this, but when I got my Technician license & CS in March I didn't really like my CS, partially because I'm having trouble remembering it. So, knowing nothing about how this all works, I decided to apply for a different/vanity CS. I've tried 5 times & each time it gets denied. Each time took about 2-3 weeks to find out. I called the FCC help desk and was told I just have to keep trying... I'm using the RadioQTH.net web-site to locate available calls. I tried using the ae7q.com web-site, but found it a bit too confusing.

I'm curious to know if it's really this much trouble just to change your CS, or if I'm doing something wrong?