First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
KJ6DHG
Past - Yaesu R7900
Baofeng handheld for temporary HAM use until permanent radio is purchased.

Last edited:

CavGeek

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ. 85027
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Reiner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ZWC
Service Branch
U.S.Army
KJ6DHG
Past - Yaesu R7900
How do you like that Yaesu R7900, thinking that may be the new rig for my truck based on features and specs, but I'd be interested to hear real world opinions on it. I was thinking mounting the radio under the passenger seat and using remote faceplate and speaker in a more user friendly location.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using OB Talk mobile app

Jon Lee

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Dallas, OR, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Lee
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ON
How do you like that Yaesu R7900, thinking that may be the new rig for my truck based on features and specs, but I'd be interested to hear real world opinions on it. I was thinking mounting the radio under the passenger seat and using remote faceplate and speaker in a more user friendly location.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using OB Talk mobile app
You can also use the AUX input for the external speaker. That's how I have my rig setup in my car.

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
1. I had the unit mounted under the driver's seat and had an auxiliary speaker mounted to the roll bar near my ear. A friend set it up for me and set the head unit on top of the windshield near the loose that you use to tie down the windshield when you put it down on the hood.

2. What sucks is when the TJ got stolen, I had the head unit and mike on my kitchen table which is useless. Had I lost the head unit instead of the radio, that could have been replaced

3. I am going to get the same unit for my JKU. I'm not a steady HAM user so no need to buy anything past that. I loved being able to take the head unit indoors with me. Solid dual band radio, you can easily program channels that you use on the regular. I used this radio on the Rubicon Trail and local runs.

Reactions: Road

CavGeek

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ. 85027
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Reiner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ZWC
Service Branch
U.S.Army
1. I had the unit mounted under the driver's seat and had an auxiliary speaker mounted to the roll bar near my ear. A friend set it up for me and set the head unit on top of the windshield near the loose that you use to tie down the windshield when you put it down on the hood.

2. What sucks is when the TJ got stolen, I had the head unit and mike on my kitchen table which is useless. Had I lost the head unit instead of the radio, that could have been replaced

3. I am going to get the same unit for my JKU. I'm not a steady HAM user so no need to buy anything past that. I loved being able to take the head unit indoors with me. Solid dual band radio, you can easily program channels that you use on the regular. I used this radio on the Rubicon Trail and local runs.

Thanks much, that sounds like that is exactly the Radio I am looking for.
Strangely enough I had the opposite happen with My XJ they stole the remote head unit for the IC706MK2G, I was so glad they left the actual radio it was safely tucked away behind a steel grate all the way in he back of the jeep so they missed it. Replacing that head unit was not cheap, but it was a lot less that buying a new radio! sorry to hear about the theft, hope the insurance at least covered it.

Vantams

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Plain City, Utah
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Tams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7UFV
KI7UFV here, just upgraded the setup for mobile use! Any repeater in the Ogden, Salt Lake City, Utah area is well within reach for me.

Reactions: CavGeek

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
KN4LPZ just got tech license in April. Baofeng HTs UV5R-V2+ and BF-F8HP
Similar setup here. Got license about a year ago. No plans to buy much more equipment than Baofengs, they are meeting my needs just fine. I do have a mag mount antenna and speaker/mic for the Jeep when I'm mobile.

Fun radio-net trick: when someone asks what you are using (and they will) tell them its a $25 Boafeng. Then at some point tell them you are switching over to your Yaesu rig as a comparison. Then continue transmitting on your Boafeng. It will instantly boost the volume, clarity, and tone of your Boafeng.

Reactions: #slowlaneJKU

Dfountain45

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Citrus heights ca
Member #

Call Sign Just issued. Plan on going back and getting my General license to open a bit more up. Currently only have a UV-5X3 5 Watt tri-band radio to listen in and see how things are done. Looking around at other Gen 3 Tacomas with Hams to see where they are mounting the face plates and what they are running to come up with a plan to add to the communications already in the truck.

KM6TBF

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

KB5TQT Been ham radio operator for about 20 years... havent setup my new rig equipment into Disco yet... used to have some ICOM equip... my buddy who has his extra class had some Alinco /kenwood gear he was going to sell but he kept for another vehicle but I sold my gear to 5 fingers :flushed: on a river trip years ago then moved down here to Florida... Im currently looking for a new setup! I work with computers when Im not roasting coffee or building things ( Coffee roasting my main business) and so much has changed with HAM radio I kind of stalled out from buying new gear but now Im looking for a decent dual band setup... dont know if Ill need anything more than that.. still researching...