Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
My new call is in the database this morning! KT4OZ. Dropped the J out of the prefix and moved the T from suffix.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Any particular reason why you haven't?
1. I have no idea what I'm doing. I've either been too lazy or lacked the motivation to get into this. I had kind of hoped for a simple plug and play solution. I don't want to build antennas, go contesting or speak to people all over the world. I think all of that stuff is cool but I have too many hobbies already. I just wanted something I can throw or mount in my rig and be able to talk to other people in whatever locale I happen to find myself in.

2. I don't have the proper equipment. I have a couple of the little Baefong radios and they are programmed. However, I live in the country and I never here anyone on the frequencies. I've had it on in town several times and overheard 1 conversation but the static was pretty bad.

3. I don't have anyone to talk to. I don't have any friends with any interest in it. I don't even like talking on the phone so I'm not really the type to get excited about talking to a random stranger on the radio. If I had some people to communicate with, I might be more likely to give it a shot.

I originally got my license thinking it would be a good idea to have an alternate communication on remote trails. The technician was pretty easy so I went ahead and got general too. I attended meetings at two fairly sizable and active clubs. The people were very friendly but also pretty technical. Everything thing they talked about in the meeting or in private conversations was over my head.

One of these days I will run into someone who knows what they're doing and doesn't mind dumbing it down for me. It just hasn't happened yet. I would be cool to be able to connect with other OB members on the radio, especially when traveling.

Reactions: John R

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Sooner I can understand where you are coming from.
I do find the contesting and DX enjoyable but that is because like you I don't like to just talk to strangers about random meaningless stuff. Contest and DX are quick exchange and then move on, but it's not for everyone and that's ok too.

What part of Oklahoma are you in?

Reactions: soonersfan

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Sooner I can understand where you are coming from.
I do find the contesting and DX enjoyable but that is because like you I don't like to just talk to strangers about random meaningless stuff. Contest and DX are quick exchange and then move on, but it's not for everyone and that's ok too.

What part of Oklahoma are you in?
Oklahoma City. You?

ChuckS

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

king george, va
Member #

New OLB member, long time ham. I'll check in here with my first post on the forum.

Drive a 2011 JK with a Kenwood TM=D710ga for VHF/UHF and a TS-480hx on HF. I'm the SOTA 'summits on the air" manager for Virginia.

Chuck

K4QS

Reactions: brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
New OLB member, long time ham. I'll check in here with my first post on the forum.

Drive a 2011 JK with a Kenwood TM=D710ga for VHF/UHF and a TS-480hx on HF. I'm the SOTA 'summits on the air" manager for Virginia.

Chuck

K4QS
Welcome to OB, Chuck!

I've been diligently studying morse code for the last couple weeks. I have a buddy here who is active with SOTA and i've set my sights on activating some peaks myself... once I can operate CW competently.

Brien K7XPO

ChuckS

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

king george, va
Member #

Welcome to OB, Chuck!

I've been diligently studying morse code for the last couple weeks. I have a buddy here who is active with SOTA and i've set my sights on activating some peaks myself... once I can operate CW competently.

Brien K7XPO
Thanks Brien and welcome to SOTA. If you haven't found CWops CW academy yet check them out. I'm a CWops member as well, though not an academy advisor. Folks that have gone through the program become excellent CW operators.

73, Chuck K4QS