HAM Radio Call Sign Check-In Thread

• HTML tutorial

John Fury

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Buckingham Co. Virginia
Member #

Thanks! I'm going to get a Kenwood TM-D710GA. I think APRS will be useful for overlanding applications, and I like the unit's format and reputation for reliability and relative ease of use. I can't wait! The install should be interesting but I'll get it worked out. I may add HF down the line as well...but I have a lot to learn as is. 73!
I really like my D710GA. The abilities that it has are more formatted for what I like to do with it. I just switched from a wrangler to a tacoma. When I did, I just put the D710GA in it. I never really used the 857D so I didn't put it in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks! I'm going to get a Kenwood TM-D710GA. I think APRS will be useful for overlanding applications, and I like the unit's format and reputation for reliability and relative ease of use. I can't wait! The install should be interesting but I'll get it worked out. I may add HF down the line as well...but I have a lot to learn as is. 73!
This is the mount I have used and it works great without any problem, control head is easy to reach and the mic can go next to it. All without drilling into the dash

Congrats on the lic.

https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/dashboard-mounts/9610-jeep-wrangler/2011

Judge

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Woodland Hills, CA
Member #

This is the mount I have used and it works great without any problem, control head is easy to reach and the mic can go next to it. All without drilling into the dash

Congrats on the lic.

https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/dashboard-mounts/9610-jeep-wrangler/2011
Thanks...I'll consider that. I have a JKE-Dock so a Ram Mount solution is a likelihood as well. How to run the control head wiring so it's clean and not visible will take some thought. I hate clutter...prefer as sterile an environment as possible.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks...I'll consider that. I have a JKE-Dock so a Ram Mount solution is a likelihood as well. How to run the control head wiring so it's clean and not visible will take some thought. I hate clutter...prefer as sterile an environment as possible.
Awesome! The JKE is a nice set up. Look forward to seeing your set up at the next OTG

Reactions: Judge

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
KE3R here. Have 2m, 70cm, GMRS/FRS, and CB abilities in Ruby...

KE3R-i on APRS while traveling, also trackable via SPoT/spotwalla.com (cf. signature for URL.)

Last edited:
Reactions: GoXplore

Sierrahotel83

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Shrock
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4HVZ
I passed Both Tech and General on Saturday... Patiently waiting on a call sign... yeah right... Then I have to decide what where and when on radios, aside from a couple Baofeng HT that I have

Reactions: Wotan