Fields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AF5RY
KJ4PGD
John Fury
Central Virginia
Extra class.

Mobile: Kenwood TM-D710G with greenlights lab GPS and Garmin NUVI350 with G trans cable. Yaesu FT-857D with LDG YT-100 and Alpha Moto 6-80 HF antenna.

Track me on APRS.fi at KJ4PGD-9

Home/Portable: Kenwood TS-2000, Kenwood TS-440, Kenwood TM-D72, Yaesu FT1DR, TYT TH-9000, G5RV antenna.
Hello John,
I also have a FT-857d. How do you like Alpha Moto? I've been using mine as a base connected to a G5RV but want to move it to my Suburban. The ATAS is a little pricey and doesn't get very good reviews.

Reactions: John Fury

atcbrad

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

Wb4bsd, Kx4ew. I was just trying to get you on ft8. I need hi!!! Lol. I was trying in my jeep at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My bad. It was a close callsign. But not yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Chomley

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bouldercombe, Qld Australia
Member #

Call signs here are VK4JRC and VK4LM, operate HF only on trips with voice and digital modes etc.
Radio is KX3 with PX3 display, amp is HF Packer 30w, tuner is Elecraft T1. Antennas used, depending on camp are LNR Endfedz and Chamelion MIL whip on hybrid base. Sound modem is SignaLink USB and Macbook Air PC. Station is permanently installed in camper unit.

IMG_3869.JPG IMG_3868.JPG

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
W4DKY here. General class. I never got around to upgrading to Extra. I might try to do that next year.

Have been running a Yaesu FT-7900R for a while but have a new Icom ID-4100A sitting here on the floor next to my desk that I hope to install in my truck this weekend.

Reactions: TerryD

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
KK6DWJ checking in...

Running 857d in my Jeep. Initially got into amateur radio as a backup way to communicate while off grid. Have continued to dabble in it and explore. It still brings a smile to my face when I send/receive an email (over HF) to folks back at home while we are in the middle of nowhere. Generally use my Buddipole while out in the field. Fun to set up and tweak. I also have ft-60 i use to check in to local repeater club when i am stuck in town. Hope to link up with some of you from the group down the road. 73!

John Fury

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Buckingham Co. Virginia
Member #

Hello John,
I also have a FT-857d. How do you like Alpha Moto? I've been using mine as a base connected to a G5RV but want to move it to my Suburban. The ATAS is a little pricey and doesn't get very good reviews.
The Alpha Moto is the way to go in a off road vehicle. It performs great and the whip antenna handles tree branches alot better than the ATAS.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
Got my Tech ticket just today! KM6NMI checking in! Who Hoo!
Congrats! Got any ideas for what radio to put in your rig? 857d was my choice.. pretty spendy for a radio, but I thought I may get into HF one day. Sure enough... I did. HF is nice when you are out of repeater range on 2m. 73!

Judge

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Woodland Hills, CA
Member #

Congrats! Got any ideas for what radio to put in your rig? 857d was my choice.. pretty spendy for a radio, but I thought I may get into HF one day. Sure enough... I did. HF is nice when you are out of repeater range on 2m. 73!
Thanks! I'm going to get a Kenwood TM-D710GA. I think APRS will be useful for overlanding applications, and I like the unit's format and reputation for reliability and relative ease of use. I can't wait! The install should be interesting but I'll get it worked out. I may add HF down the line as well...but I have a lot to learn as is. 73!