Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Hey there! I have net to make it to a club meeting. It keeps conflicting with school activities for my children. I seriously need to get out and learn some goodness. I'm such a novice, and totally need an Elmer :smile: I've yet to actually transmit beyond a test.
Would love to have join the NET test tonight. Load up Echolink (free) and join us. Look for Net thread for details. Brent KJ7BHN

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
What are you running for a radio?
My portable setup is a Yaesu FT-818ND powered by a small BioEnno Power battery pack. I use a couple of wire antennas: HyEndFed 4 Band Ultra Light Mini (10,15,20,40m) and an N9TAX dual band slim-jim. The whole deal fits in an old camera bag. I have a couple of fiber glass poles to string up the antennas.

I've only run it a few times on my travels, although I should do it more as I'm amazed how much I can hear outside of the city!

Reactions: whiskey7backroads

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF
Sounds like you have a lot of based covered. If your interested, we are trying our first OB NET tonight via Echolink. There is another thread I started with more info. I have been on the Alaska Morning Net and find it to be one of the better ones in US. Feel free to contact me anytime via Echolink if I am logged on. Brent KJ7BHN
I will keep track of how it goes and try for future nets. With the quakes in town today, I’m gonna be busy helping people and fixing stuff. Thanks for the invite.

Reactions: Graeman and ru108

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Hey there! I have net to make it to a club meeting. It keeps conflicting with school activities for my children. I seriously need to get out and learn some goodness. I'm such a novice, and totally need an Elmer [emoji2] I've yet to actually transmit beyond a test.
That's me. I'm my own Elmer and almost a year after I got my license I've made maybe 20 contacts, only 3 on my own, the rest with someone else helping in a 2 hour span.

Reactions: Graeman and Jimmy P

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
That's me. I'm my own Elmer and almost a year after I got my license I've made maybe 20 contacts, only 3 on my own, the rest with someone else helping in a 2 hour span.
I think there are a lot of us on here that are new to Ham and don't have a lot of experience and contacts. This will be one of the topics for the NET we are setting up. First one tonight at 6pm. But, I am on Echolink a lot and if he see me not in conference, feel free to connect to me and we can practice aka have a conversation. Brent KJ7BHN

Reactions: Jimmy P

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I just passed my Technicians License Test today. So, in 2 weeks I will be officially official on the Baofeng. I plan on purchasing another radio and turning the UV-5R into my APRS unit until I can afford a Kenwood or Yaesu.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I just passed my Technicians License Test today. So, in 2 weeks I will be officially official on the Baofeng. I plan on purchasing another radio and turning the UV-5R into my APRS unit until I can afford a Kenwood or Yaesu.
Congratulations!

Reactions: Graeman

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
The wife @Firemom and I went down today and tested for our Ham licenses. Proud to say that there are now two new Ham technicians in the word! Won't have our call signs for about 7-10 days, that's what the proctors said anyway, but glad to get that done.

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Just an FYI, Ham Radio Outlet has a sale on the Yaesu FTM-400 & the ICOM 5100! Take a look pretty good pricing...

Reactions: whiskey7backroads

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Congrats and join us on the Friday net when you get your callsign

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
The wife @Firemom and I went down today and tested for our Ham licenses. Proud to say that there are now two new Ham technicians in the word! Won't have our call signs for about 7-10 days, that's what the proctors said anyway, but glad to get that done.
Congrats and same as last. Join us for Friday net when you get your callsigns

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Congrats to the both of you. I told my wife that she now needs to start studying so that she can get her license as well. She laughed at me... What did you use to study for the test? I used AA9PW.com it was very close to what I was questioned on with a couple of different questions that I had not seen in my studies. Don't know how many I missed as it is a pass/fail test result.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Just an FYI, Ham Radio Outlet has a sale on the Yaesu FTM-400 & the ICOM 5100! Take a look pretty good pricing...
Be careful with the IC-5100. I'm sure it's a solid rig and I love my 7100, 7300, and 2730. I even almost bought a 5100 but when I had it in my cart I noticed that instead of APRS it does DPRS. That means if you are relying on it to leave a trail of breadcrumbs like APRS does almost everywhere, you need a DStar repeater to be in range! If you are ok with that, go ahead and pull the trigger.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Awesome! congrats to you and firemom

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Be careful with the IC-5100. I'm sure it's a solid rig and I love my 7100, 7300, and 2730. I even almost bought a 5100 but when I had it in my cart I noticed that instead of APRS it does DPRS. That means if you are relying on it to leave a trail of breadcrumbs like APRS does almost everywhere, you need a DStar repeater to be in range! If you are ok with that, go ahead and pull the trigger.
The wife and I got the FTM-400's. Couldn't turn down $394.65 each.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
@Magic Mike and @Firemom congrats to you both and welcome to the top of the rabbit hole! I have an FTM 400 and an FTM 7250. The 400 is a great radio so far and I’m still trying to learn to use everything it offers. The 7250 is a more simple one and is what I use in my daily driver.

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
@Magic Mike and @Firemom congrats to you both and welcome to the top of the rabbit hole! I have an FTM 400 and an FTM 7250. The 400 is a great radio so far and I’m still trying to learn to use everything it offers. The 7250 is a more simple one and is what I use in my daily driver.
Yeah I have started reading the manual, wow this thing does a lot..... Looking forward to the trip down the rabbit hole.

Reactions: ru108

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
That's what I ended up with too. Now to wait for a nice day to install it in the truck since the Mic and head cables aren't the same as my 2730
Put mine a week or so ago, started raining as we’re installing!