Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Duncan
Last Name
Neish
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE1NEI
Is your antenna a 2M antenna? I'm looking for a 2M fiberglass whip to ad to my Jeep.
Hi,

That is a CB antenna, so I guess probably 1/4 of 11 metres? I don't have an Amateur license yet, but I'd really like to run a 6 metre. Of course there would have to be a 2 metre as well since I probably only know one other person who'd roll with a mobile 6 metre so the conversation would be a little on the lean side.

Off-Camber

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Moncton, Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE9JEP
Hi,

That is a CB antenna, so I guess probably 1/4 of 11 metres? I don't have an Amateur license yet, but I'd really like to run a 6 metre. Of course there would have to be a 2 metre as well since I probably only know one other person who'd roll with a mobile 6 metre so the conversation would be a little on the lean side.
Thanks for the info, it looked like a longer antenna on the photo. I'll try to make it up to one of your meets.

Reactions: Canoehead

Canoehead

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Duncan
Last Name
Neish
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE1NEI
Hi all,

I'm planning to take my family out for a campfire in the woods tomorrow, and would like to invite you all to come along. I see this as a chance to hang out and also to discuss ideas for future trips in the most inspiring of environments. This is going to be very laid back. If you are interested, but want to arrive late or leave early, that is cool. The location I have in mind is an easily accessible camp site, should anyone be interested in scoping out overnight possibilities. I see this as a kind of follow up to last week's meetup, so I'll keep posting info in this thread (if that's okay) but if we do this again I'll start a new thread for the trip. I think that there are a few folks who had wanted to get out last weekend but couldn't.

Weather forecast suggests a cool morning with a dusting of snow, warming to around 6 degrees in the afternoon with a few mm of rain. Basically cloudy, cold, and wet, like is seems to be every time I want to go outside!

Timings
Saturday, April 6
12:30 - meet up just off Exit 5, Hwy 103
1:00 - roll out to the trailhead on Hwy 103, then into the woods!
2:00 (estimated) - campfire on the shore of Five Mile Lake
5:00 (or whenever we feel like it) - head out and back to our lives in civilization.

Rendezvous point
Parking lot South of the McDonald's
Map pin: 44°42'08.4"N 63°51'33.5"W

Trailhead
Hiking Trail Road intersection with Hwy 103. *Note, currently there is an overpass being built here as part of the ongoing twinning project for this section of the 103. Use caution here, I suggest signal early and reduce speed well in advance of the right turn. It is possible to over shoot the turn if you are not familiar with it, but so long as we are in convoy there should be no problems.
Map pin: 44°42'39.2"N 63°54'00.9"W

Proposed campfire location
There is a small dam on the Southwest shore of Five Mile Lake, with a few established fire rings along it. Not hard to find, and as the roads go back in the Old Bowater Lands, these are in great shape. I am 100% open to other ideas!
Map pin: 44°49'59.6"N 63°59'09.1"W

Route
Follow Hiking Trail Road past the 17 Km mark, then take the next track down and off to the right. You will cross a small bridge and then the road climbs the last little bit up to the lake. We can travel in convoy to make it easy, but no drama either way.

Conditions
If the road is bare this can be done in a car. Two weeks ago there was still ice and snow on parts of the road. I am sure that a lot has melted since, but can make no promises. A little ground clearance may be important if there are ruts in the snow. Any truck or SUV will definitely be fine, if you want to come but have any concerns feel free to contact me.

What to bring
Water, snacks, a lunch, something to cook over a fire if you are so inclined.
Clothing for the weather.
I run a CB radio, and will also bring a couple FRS radios, but I see these as a convenience and not necessary.

Duncan (me), Mary (7 year old), and Andrew (4 year old) are looking forward to an afternoon in the woods. So much the better if any of you can come along!

dolli310

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Halifax, NS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dollimont
Member #

Sounds like a time. Unfortunately, I'd be a liability in the woods right now. I have a hard time hobbling to the bathroom at the moment.