Rank III

Enthusiast III

Minot, ND, USA
First Name
john
Last Name
Kuziomko
Member #

I was wondering what size hail would go through soft top rooftop tent ? I have been In some pretty good storms with small hail and high winds but what about golf ball size or larger.

RAMM

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ballarat VIC, Australia
First Name
David
Last Name
Ramm
Member #

Honestly I would be reluctant to be out in that sort of weather. I doubt golf ball sized hail stones would peirce a tent. They may pummel it flat.

Also I'm pretty sure that sized hail is where it starts denting vehicle panels and occasionally breaking vehicle windows.

Where on earth are you that this is common?

Kuzi

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Minot, ND, USA
First Name
john
Last Name
Kuziomko
Member #

Honestly I would be reluctant to be out in that sort of weather. I doubt golf ball sized hail stones would peirce a tent. They may pummel it flat.

Also I'm pretty sure that sized hail is where it starts denting vehicle panels and occasionally breaking vehicle windows.

Where on earth are you that this is common?
Here in North Dakota there has been hail that size this year. I left early couple week ago because storm was coming that ending up producing penny size hail. Trust me I don't purposely want to be out in that weather. But place I was in it was a freak storm. This was more about what if ?

Reactions: RAMM

RAMM

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ballarat VIC, Australia
First Name
David
Last Name
Ramm
Member #

The only thing I could think of, would be to rig up a heavy canvas tarp above the tent to take the bulk of the hail. But I'm not an expert.

I would love to know if anyone out there has a proven solution.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

IMO most fabric RTT ‘s are pretty sub par. The hard tops are better built and most likely do mush better. If you are dealing with golf ball sized hail or smaller with a hard top you might be OK. The wind will be a major factor too. If you are in bigger than golfball sized .... well you might have a great story. Most overlander’s are fair weather camper and will bug out with major weather on the way. Usually hail is a short term event which does help, however when big sized hail is falling I will be in my truck.

Reactions: Kuzi

Kuzi

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Minot, ND, USA
First Name
john
Last Name
Kuziomko
Member #

IMO most fabric RTT ‘s are pretty sub par. The hard tops are better built and most likely do mush better. If you are dealing with golf ball sized hail or smaller with a hard top you might be OK. The wind will be a major factor too. If you are in bigger than golfball sized .... well you might have a great story. Most overlander’s are fair weather camper and will bug out with major weather on the way. Usually hail is a short term event which does help, however when big sized hail is falling I will be in my truck.
Yes I would be to.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Just a note for those who may get caught anywhere in a hail storm. If you have a blanket, spread it out over the large flat panels of your vehicle. When wet, it does an exceptional job at distributing and absorbing the impact of larger hail stones. I have successfully gotten a vehicle through larger than golf ball sized hail with this technique.

Kuzi

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Minot, ND, USA
First Name
john
Last Name
Kuziomko
Member #

Just a note for those who may get caught anywhere in a hail storm. If you have a blanket, spread it out over the large flat panels of your vehicle. When wet, it does an exceptional job at distributing and absorbing the impact of larger hail stones. I have successfully gotten a vehicle through larger than golf ball sized hail with this technique.
I was thinking about something like that for windows in case I get stuck in hail. Thanks for tip.