Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
He wasn't using the tie rod to tow. It just broke pulling me up a hill.
Tie rods don't break, they bend. Tie rods "ends" may break if they are trash to begin with. I cant see why pulling you up a hill can damage anything except an automatic transmission deciding to crap out from years of use.

Reactions: Tacobard

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Whenever we (myself or my friends do a recovery of a stranger) we always get a phone video of them releasing all liability if things go to sideways. They understand they asked for help and we offered it, same goes for our rigs. Individuals are responsible for their rigs. PERIOD. Also be careful offering money, if he were to try and sue you the rules of proof are VERY different (at least in CA). Intent matters. You're offering money could be seen as acceptance of some responsibility and thus put you on the hook for some or all. Not likely but possible if he's a real piece of work. And even if he's wrong and law is not on his side, you still need to go defend yourself, just not worth it. Again, we would do the same here because, like you, I would probably offer to pay his gas or split the tow, but I would get a video of us agreeing this is not an admission of guilt or responsibility, just a charitable act. And we agree to go our separate ways after, end of it.

We might be over cautious but you never know when you'll get "that" guy. 30 seconds of video can save everyone a TON of headache later.

Tacobard

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

Bury St Edmunds, UK
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Bardsley
Member #

Whenever we (myself or my friends do a recovery of a stranger) we always get a phone video of them releasing all liability if things go to sideways. They understand they asked for help and we offered it, same goes for our rigs. Individuals are responsible for their rigs. PERIOD. Also be careful offering money, if he were to try and sue you the rules of proof are VERY different (at least in CA). Intent matters. You're offering money could be seen as acceptance of some responsibility and thus put you on the hook for some or all. Not likely but possible if he's a real piece of work. And even if he's wrong and law is not on his side, you still need to go defend yourself, just not worth it. Again, we would do the same here because, like you, I would probably offer to pay his gas or split the tow, but I would get a video of us agreeing this is not an admission of guilt or responsibility, just a charitable act. And we agree to go our separate ways after, end of it.

We might be over cautious but you never know when you'll get "that" guy. 30 seconds of video can save everyone a TON of headache later.
I like this! Obviously he ended up being a piece of trash so it just proves that you never know.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

WOW !!!I didn't consider the legal ASPECT of something like this. I really like your advise here and glad you tuned in to the thread. I'm still old school where a mans word is worn like a badge of courage. Now days people seem to just look for an excuse to sue whether it's justified or not. EVERYBODY, listen closely to this very good advise from someone that has been close to this sort of issue. Good ol OB guys and gals always come up with good information. Thank you OB forum !

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
You're supposed to point at his broken tie rod, laugh, and say "'That's what you get for buying (insert trucks brand here).''

Toss a empty beer can in his bed and tear off without him.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
I hook up my end and I am liable for what happens on my end. You hook up your end and you are liable for what happens on your end. That is the end or we will have no beginning in the first place. I didn’t force you to hook up. You did it of your own volition. I owe you nothing at all. Stuck or pulling makes no difference. That is how I do it.

Who I am dealing with will determine the volume of charity I contribute to the rectification of their misfortune. Ones attitude can have a severe effect on my gratitude.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
WOW !!!I didn't consider the legal ASPECT of something like this. I really like your advise here and glad you tuned in to the thread. I'm still old school where a mans word is worn like a badge of courage. Now days people seem to just look for an excuse to sue whether it's justified or not. EVERYBODY, listen closely to this very good advise from someone that has been close to this sort of issue. Good ol OB guys and gals always come up with good information. Thank you OB forum !
This one of those situations where I learned from someone else’s mistakes. I didn’t come up with it but it is the way I do things now. Fact is once they’re over the recovery and reality of repair sets in, it could be a different story and they may not be the same person you met on the trail anymore.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This one of those situations where I learned from someone else’s mistakes. I didn’t come up with but it is the way I do things now. Fact is once their over the recovery and reality of repair sets in, it’s a different story. And they may not be the same person you met on the trail anymore.
Helper beware, HUH ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Unfortunately.
Some people are givers and others are takers.(nothing to do with the subject in this thread) I wish I had all the money I have loaned to people that I never saw again. And all the tools that were never returned form "friends" ???? My wife always complained that I was an easy touch (she meant sucker but wouldn't say it). I haven't changed but I am more careful who I choose for a friend.
In my rural area people stop and help you when they see you are in need. It's kind of a cultural thing here where everyone looks after the other. People are mostly poor and Hispanic. Families are very close which makes me envious of their life style. You hardly ever see a homeless Hispanic or what I would call a bum. They may only have beans and tortillas to eat but they will always offer you food and drink. No family member is ever without a place to lay their head or eat a meal.
They live in their houses for generations in any given area. Makes me feel very humble to live among them. Lanlubber

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Honestly when it comes to most recoveries theres just too much that can happen, for this reason Ill never hook a strap to anyone I dont personally know as good to go, and likewise I will not accept a strap from someone that I dont know is personally good to go. Now that being said, if one of my friends broke something pulling me out, I would help pay for parts if not buy them and help do the work.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
How do you break a tie rod pulling someone uphill? You break a tie rod by hitting a large rock at speed or some other stupid thing

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
How do you break a tie rod pulling someone uphill? You break a tie rod by hitting a large rock at speed or some other stupid thing
I had a tie rod ball joint pop due to a relatively mild jolt. Best I could figure the combination of steering input and wheel spin when I tried to crawl out of a rut was just enough. Being a mechanic I get to see lots of failures, and its amazing sometimes how mild a situation can result in breakage when load, steering or power inputs, and terrain conspire...

Reactions: Tacobard

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

He never asked actually. He was just mad because I didn't offer to help pay. He's saying he had to replace both tie rods and get an alignment.
This is not related to the recovery unless the guy had no clue how to do it.
Flat out you were a challenge he accepted.
His tie rods are the result of incompetence or poor maintenance.

Sounds like he has a big ego and thought rescuing you would stroke it.
And if he is being a dick about it let him pound sand.

I drive a tow truck and I 4wheel. Before offering my "personal" services...
I consider the option of calling a tow truck.
Very affordable if you have AA.

1200px-The_Automobile_Association_logo.svg.png

and

logo-visa.jpg

I always travel with both.

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Its always nice to offer something but not necessary. Had you called him out and something happened then yeah Id say offer to pay some of the bill.

Last year I was in the back country and came upon a guy and his son riding dirt bikes. He was on a Fat Cat and had a major punctured tire. I stopped to ask if he needed help and he asked if I had a can of fix a flat. I didnt but I offered him my cheap $10 slim tire plug kit and told him I had an air compressor. We got him back up and running after a little while and he tried to hand me $50.
I said it was not needed, that kit I carried for emergencies and it had served its purpose. He insisted and he dropped it through the window of my pickup and said to use it and buy a few more to carry.
It made my day I was able to help someone. It made that guys day that he didnt have to ride up and over a mountain back to his truck. Had anything gone wrong I honestly would have been bummed but it was me that offered my assistance.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
In my world, the standard is to help without question and to refuse payment without question. If I break something while helping someone, that something was going to break anyway. I definitely do not tell the person I helped.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Virtually all of the above true, some glorious & beautiful, others sad but true. I won’t change my general approach but might tweak it a bit based on what was said above. I like the “I hook my side, you hook yours” but I would caution one to double check their placement. Poor anchoring in a recovery can be deadly and, in my experience, it occurs more often than you’d expect, mostly out of unintended ignorance (I realize that’s redundant).

Reactions: Willys_2014