Launch Member

Member III

Bury St Edmunds, UK
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Bardsley
Member #

So I got stuck and somebody came by to try and pull me out. He ended up breaking one of his tie rods and getting stuck himself. Then he said his truck was damaged after he drove it home because of alignment. What's the proper thing to do here? Do I pay to repair his truck? I at least have home some gas money.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Was it a buddy you called to come get you out or some guy that just happened upon you and volunteered to get you out?
If it's a buddy yeah you may want to help with those repairs.
If it's some random dude that volunteered to help that's on him. He assumed the risk when he volunteered.
How does someone damage a tie rod trying to recover another vehicle?

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
That's tricky. When you recover someone, you "accept" the possibility of something going wrong. However, some may not stop to think about that. I think the right thing to do is at least offer to help pay some of the repair regardless of anything else. That is you call though.

Tacobard

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

Bury St Edmunds, UK
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Bardsley
Member #

He never asked actually. He was just mad because I didn't offer to help pay. He's saying he had to replace both tie rods and get an alignment.

Reactions: John~SWNM

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
So I got stuck and somebody came by to try and pull me out. He ended up breaking one of his tie rods and getting stuck himself. Then he said his truck was damaged after he drove it home because of alignment. What's the proper thing to do here? Do I pay to repair his truck? I at least have home some gas money.
Good question. I don't think you owe him anything. Yes it was decent of him to stop and help you but he was the one who broke something on his rig because he obviously didn't do something right. If I stopped to help you and broke my truck doing it I accept all responsibility for the damage. If he had damaged you would you have blamed him and want restitution ? That is what insurance is for. It pays for damages caused by you or someone else. After all you don't know if he knew what he is doing and could have easily damaged you. If it was a friend that you asked to help you, that might be an exception when you ask someone to take a chance with their vehicle. I would let dead dogs lye.

Tacobard

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

Bury St Edmunds, UK
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Bardsley
Member #

Was it a buddy you called to come get you out or some guy that just happened upon you and volunteered to get you out?
If it's some random dude that volunteered to help that's on him. He assumed the risk when he volunteered.
He's a friend of a friend. I tried offering to help but he's just being a dick so im really just trying to figure out what the norm is.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Right, how do you do that ????Duaaaaaa

Reactions: Tacobard

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
He's a friend of a friend. I tried offering to help but he's just being a dick so im really just trying to figure out what the norm is.
If he doesn't want to take your money/help, then that's ok! That's his choice. You're trying to make it right, which IMHO is the right thing to do, regardless of who it is.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That's tricky. When you recover someone, you "accept" the possibility of something going wrong. However, some may not stop to think about that. I think the right thing to do is at least offer to help pay some of the repair regardless of anything else. That is you call though.
Sorry, I don't agree that it is the RIGHT thing to do. He volunteered to help and therefore takes the responsibility. By the same token if he had damaged you (he did the hook up) would you demand or ask for payment of damage when he was good enough to volunteer. It would only make a difference if you asked someone to help you other than a professional tow company.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
He never asked actually. He was just mad because I didn't offer to help pay. He's saying he had to replace both tie rods and get an alignment.
It's called tough luck, he damaged his own vehicle ! Bent tie rods can be straightened by hand normally. As long as he didn't change the length of the tie rods an alignment wouldn't be necessary. He must not know how to fix anything.

Reactions: Tacobard

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would have no guilt about not paying for his mistake. I think he is mad at himself for doing something stupid. Tie rods are not tow hooks.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
send him dinner and a case of beer or throw him a couple 20's let him know you appreciated the helping hand.
Maybe a six pack to help him get over his dumb mistake, but that's all I would do. Since I don't drink I doubt I would offer anything depending on his attitude which he has already shown to suck !

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Not your fault that he tried to drive it home knowing it was broken and as a result broke more. How did he break a tie rod getting you unstuck? Was he pulling from the front of his truck going in reverse? If so his tranny is likely trashed too. Was he pulling from the rear and doing wheelies lifting the front end up and slamming it down? Did he hit a stump? Was the truck already a piece of crap and he blames you for his misfortune?

Tacobard

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

Bury St Edmunds, UK
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Bardsley
Member #

Not your fault that he tried to drive it home knowing it was broken and as a result broke more. How did he break a tie rod getting you unstuck? Was he pulling from the front of his truck going in reverse? If so his tranny is likely trashed too. Was he pulling from the rear and doing wheelies lifting the front end up and slamming it down? Did he hit a stump? Was the truck already a piece of crap and he blames you for his misfortune?
He was towing me uphill.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
He wasn't using the tie rod to tow. It just broke pulling me up a hill.
Must have been in bad shape before he damaged it pulling you up. Was he dragging his truck over rocks or something ?
I still see no liability on your part.