Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
First person to guess whats happening and why its happening gets a Directors Challenge Coin. What is the reason?

JT Axle housing .jpeg

This picture might help figure it out
IMG_1373.JPG

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Well looking at that angle I have to assume you bent the old one somehow?
Yep, thats the answer and the fix is to replace it with a beefed up Dana 44. The ideal fix is to put a Dana 60 under there but that requires new rims also plus allot of $$$.
I will DM

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Market Warsop, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Yep, thats the answer and the fix is to replace it with a beefed up Dana 44. The ideal fix is to put a Dana 60 under there but that requires new rims also plus allot of $$$.
I will DM
Yes, drivetrain upgrades are always cool as long as they don't require buying half the truck again in the process.

Reactions: Kent R

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
A bent axle body has also happened to me some years ago. Low sun, fast ride on a track and baaammmmm there was a mega deep washout. Back home got the axle body removed, disassembled, straightened and massively reinforced, as it is done in rally vehicles - everything is ok again!

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

This now leads to the question of how it got that way in the first place. Was it the weight of everything in the bed plus taking bouncy trails at speed? Did you consider the Dynatrac Dana 60 floating axle solution which is engineered for the JT and also retains the Jeep wheel bolt pattern?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
This now leads to the question of how it got that way in the first place. Was it the weight of everything in the bed plus taking bouncy trails at speed? Did you consider the Dynatrac Dana 60 floating axle solution which is engineered for the JT and also retains the Jeep wheel bolt pattern?
Dynatrac is defiantly what I am saving up for but that will be some time. ;-)

I have access to an older 60, but that is now out of the question due to replacing the rims. So the bandaid fix will need to work for some time.

As for the weight you me well enough to know I wont tell and take your own guess about the speed :sunglasses:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks everyone for playing along, there will be more pop-pop up contests in the near future.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
How did you notice it?
Axle seal, alignment or just looking down the side of the vehicle?

How did you bend it and get positive camber?
That's almost a sideways stuff the tire thing.
I've seen a number of bent axles from offroad but this is only the second pos camber one I've seen.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
How did you notice it?
Axle seal, alignment or just looking down the side of the vehicle?

How did you bend it and get positive camber?
That's almost a sideways stuff the tire thing.
I've seen a number of bent axles from offroad but this is only the second pos camber one I've seen.
A member stopped by and was checking the rig out and noticed it just looking at the rear. Who knows how it bent it does get hard use, could have happened during our last trail guardian event in the Mojave National Preserve.
This is the first jeep axle hosing I have bent and now I know why people swap out for 60's

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Market Warsop, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Just a little update on this thread.

I am very grateful to Kent R for the parcel I received last week. I've been so busy at work and on the trailer project I have hardly seen the house and when I finally sat down to breathe I was pleasantly surprised to receive this swathe of OB goodies.

20230428_200056.jpg

I need to find a suitable place for the coin (suggestions very welcome) and the patches will probably end up on my little trail bag.

I'll probably rig something up on the truck for the flag - perhaps off the roofrack (hopefully for this weekend so I can get a photo!).

Again - many thanks. It's great to feel a connection to the community and those across the globe.

Reactions: El-Dracho