Launch Member

Contributor I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Kauranen
Member #

I have a Guana Equipment 270* awning they call the Morpho. It’s been working out great so far. The fabric is nice and it came with 4 poles that seem to extend at least 6’6” and 8 guide lines for the poles and tie down points between. It runs $350 + $60 for shipping but with a discount code it ships free.

Discount code: CKKNIFEAWNING

Check it out and compare with others. See if it’s a viable option for you.

Knife_guy_in_wa

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Kauranen
Member #

I went ahead and ordered an awning because I found your post! Looks like a great product, can't wait to give it a try.
That’s great, thanks! I bought an RTT from them and then they found out what I do and sent me the awning for free and then gave me discount codes. I’ve had it out about a dozen times now either using on a trip or setting it up to show folks. It takes about 15 min to instal and 5 min or so to set up. I have a video on the unboxing and setup but it comes out 10/2/19. Thanks again though!

Reactions: theterkwiththesnerk

throma

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Hro
How would you compare this to some of the bigger name brands like ARB or Rhino Rack? 420D ripstop is pretty thick, right? Did Guana mention anything about warranty? Can you buy replacement parts? Sorry, I know that's alot of questions but this looks like one of those too good to be true things. I've been looking at getting a 270* awning and then this popped up. I'm really interested.

Reactions: Knife_guy_in_wa

Knife_guy_in_wa

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Kauranen
Member #

So, replacement parts? Absolutely. Warranty? Yes. Very good communication. It’s edges can take the removable wall panels. Not sure when those come out. Center of awning fabric is reinforced. Comes with 4 poles that I’ve had no issues with to-date and 8 very thick (1/4” diameter) stakes and 8 guide lines. There are also tie down points in between each pole for more support during inclement weather. I’ll have a vide on the Wanaka 3 and the Morpho late Sept and into Oct. with more short videos about pros and cons. Snipers and such. The 420 is a thicker material than some others and is ripstop. Other companies sell similar for $400 and up. Michael of OB did a video on his. Near identical to Guana it appears but materials are different I think.

Knife_guy_in_wa

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Kauranen
Member #

What do the poles and pivot points look like?
How strong are the rafters on it?
For $350 I am quite pleased with the Morpho. Granted, I and Guana realize it’s not the ARB styles nor motorized but man... 15 min install, 5 min +/- set up (depending on if you need all or half the guide lines) and it’s super light. My videos will have more pics and info as they come out. IMG_9055.JPGIMG_9053.JPGIMG_9054.JPGIMG_9057.JPGIMG_9056.JPGIMG_8949.JPG

theterkwiththesnerk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Surprise, AZ, USA
First Name
Kaylee
Last Name
Jacobell
Member #

For those interested, I'm probably going to throw a review up here or on my IG when I get mine.

I emailed the company Monday, they replied within a couple hours answering all of my questions (lead times, 3-5 days and wall kits - won't be available til next year some time but will fit this awning) Their customer service alone pretty much sold me so I placed an order Monday, it shipped yesterday and it's set to arrive tomorrow.

Knife_guy_in_wa

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Kauranen
Member #

That’s great to hear! My video of the Wanaka RTT releases 9/18/19 and the Morpho 270* awning releases 10/2/19 for folks wanting to see some of them before deciding. My YouTube channel is CK Knife and Tool. Same as my Instagram, Facebook and website.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
It looks pretty good for that price range awning it certainly looks like a good deal for someone who does not want to spend $800 and up. . I am glad to see they use aluminum pivots unlike some more expensive units with plastic pivot points it is certainly a better deal. Just be sure to always tie it down an unexpected wind can ruin an awning in a second...

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Thanks for the pics and the code, I just ordered one and will give it a try. My Rhino Rack Batwing totally failed the first time I used it with two bent poles (yes, I had the legs pegged and guide ropes installed) that I had to cut out of the awning in order to close back up, so hopefully this one will last longer.
Seeing a bat wing in operation both convinced me I want a 270 degree awning and it also demonstrated why I did not want a bat wing...

We all sat under the shade and it had a lot of room but at the end of the day a slight wind kicked up and it folded up like a taco.

So my search began I wanted a 270 that was built to hold up against windy conditions (Nevada has a lot of wind) and not break the bank. I found the Nomadic 270 at $749.00 free shipping was a great deal. It has heavy duty fabric that stops the sun completely and the rafters as you can see are very strong it is a very well designed canopy for a reasonable price. I think it is actually cheaper than a Rhino Batwing. I also have the additional front side wall. With the side walls in place and staked down it gets very dark in there. I have been using it now for over a month and light wind doesn't affect it at all and even 30 mph winds with it tied down has no affect. It is also built to last a long time and installation on a standard roof rack with good cross over bars should only take about 20 minutes to install. The time it takes to open it up is only a minute and unless it gets pretty windy I don't bother to take the extra 10 minutes to stake it out. In this photo later that day winds got very gusty and you didn't even notice it.

20190901_171703.jpg

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

I have a Guana Equipment 270* awning they call the Morpho. It’s been working out great so far. The fabric is nice and it came with 4 poles that seem to extend at least 6’6” and 8 guide lines for the poles and tie down points between. It runs $350 + $60 for shipping but with a discount code it ships free.

Discount code: CKKNIFEAWNING

Check it out and compare with others. See if it’s a viable option for you.
$350 with free shipping from Offroad tents.com.

throma

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Hro
For those interested, I'm probably going to throw a review up here or on my IG when I get mine.

I emailed the company Monday, they replied within a couple hours answering all of my questions (lead times, 3-5 days and wall kits - won't be available til next year some time but will fit this awning) Their customer service alone pretty much sold me so I placed an order Monday, it shipped yesterday and it's set to arrive tomorrow.
Curious if you've developed any opinions on this or if the review is still coming. Not being pushy, I'm just really interested in this awning. Thanks!

theterkwiththesnerk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Surprise, AZ, USA
First Name
Kaylee
Last Name
Jacobell
Member #

Curious if you've developed any opinions on this or if the review is still coming. Not being pushy, I'm just really interested in this awning. Thanks!
We’ve actually only been able to set it up once in our driveway since we got it. Overall, we like it. Durable ripstop and the construction is light weight but still feels sturdy.

My only real concern is wind. We tried setting it up out at the lake and couldn’t because it was too gusty to hold it while we try to get the legs out. But I think once we’re comfortable setting it up, it’ll be a piece of cake. 840B70C3-317B-4262-8701-181D32DC9B19.jpeg

Knife_guy_in_wa

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Kauranen
Member #

My video releases Oct. 2nd in the Guana Equipment Morpho awning. Just a quick intro and walk around. Then Oct. 21 another follow-up video will be out. I do three a week on my channel. Also, I’ll be setting up the entire Guana Equipment RT/ Annex/ Awning at the 2nd Annual Coyote Works Overland Rally in Brothers, OR. On Oct. 11-13. There will be content to follow later in the year in all that. You can find it all in the YouTube channel CK Knife and Tool. Or just hit my website at ckknifeandtool.com

throma

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Hro
My video releases Oct. 2nd in the Guana Equipment Morpho awning. Just a quick intro and walk around. Then Oct. 21 another follow-up video will be out. I do three a week on my channel. Also, I’ll be setting up the entire Guana Equipment RT/ Annex/ Awning at the 2nd Annual Coyote Works Overland Rally in Brothers, OR. On Oct. 11-13. There will be content to follow later in the year in all that. You can find it all in the YouTube channel CK Knife and Tool. Or just hit my website at ckknifeandtool.com
Awesome - thanks!

throma

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Hro
We’ve actually only been able to set it up once in our driveway since we got it. Overall, we like it. Durable ripstop and the construction is light weight but still feels sturdy.

My only real concern is wind. We tried setting it up out at the lake and couldn’t because it was too gusty to hold it while we try to get the legs out. But I think once we’re comfortable setting it up, it’ll be a piece of cake. View attachment 119401
Thanks for getting back, I really appreciate it!

TacoNik

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wow very in depth review. Great job. My only critique of you review is that it's called a "guy wire", not a "guide wire".

I swear I'm not a grammar nazi but I couldn't unsee it!

Anyway nice job. I feel like they could have fixed the couple of problems you mentioned without increasing the cost. Oh well