chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
Hey folks. Every now and then I come across some gear that I am really impressed with, so here is my basic review of the GSI Outdoors Glacier French Press.

I received this as a Christmas present from my daughter just this past year. Previously, I was using a small, glass carafe french press that I would take on camping trips. First, this thing is a combination of sturdy plastic and double-walled stainless steel. No more glass and no more worrying about breaking it. It has a locking lid that fits really well and has 3 positions: closed - it's locked on and closed, open - it's unlocked and can be removed, and pour - just what it says. Size-wise, it's a 1 liter press - plenty for a couple of large cups of coffee. It keeps the coffee hot for a really long time - I haven't timed it but most of the time when I use it, I can keep it closed for over an hour an still have another cup that's hot. The best part is the clean-up. I'm not really sure how, but I have yet to pull the press out, and have coffee grounds on the screen. It comes out extremely clean, and only requires a quick rinse. The stainless steel carafe cleans up the same way. I add some cold water, swish it around and dump it. My glass press was a chore to clean. I think they may have replaced this model with a newer one, and I'm not sure how it compares, but this press is one of my favorite pieces of gear. Jetboil some water in about 2 minutes, add to the press with grounds, and wait about 4 minutes - done! Pvx9E5K5RzqW9HYcLlcIXA.jpg

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Hey folks. Every now and then I come across some gear that I am really impressed with, so here is my basic review of the GSI Outdoors Glacier French Press.

I received this as a Christmas present from my daughter just this past year. Previously, I was using a small, glass carafe french press that I would take on camping trips. First, this thing is a combination of sturdy plastic and double-walled stainless steel. No more glass and no more worrying about breaking it. It has a locking lid that fits really well and has 3 positions: closed - it's locked on and closed, open - it's unlocked and can be removed, and pour - just what it says. Size-wise, it's a 1 liter press - plenty for a couple of large cups of coffee. It keeps the coffee hot for a really long time - I haven't timed it but most of the time when I use it, I can keep it closed for over an hour an still have another cup that's hot. The best part is the clean-up. I'm not really sure how, but I have yet to pull the press out, and have coffee grounds on the screen. It comes out extremely clean, and only requires a quick rinse. The stainless steel carafe cleans up the same way. I add some cold water, swish it around and dump it. My glass press was a chore to clean. I think they may have replaced this model with a newer one, and I'm not sure how it compares, but this press is one of my favorite pieces of gear. Jetboil some water in about 2 minutes, add to the press with grounds, and wait about 4 minutes - done! View attachment 66427
Thanks for the review!

Reactions: JoJoez and chris_nc