Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

If I'm in a hurry I use my cordless drill on my hand grinder......reality is my hand grinder from GSI only takes about a min to grind up a strong cuppa. The cordless doesn't take much time off, it is easier though.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
French press. I may be a hopeless romantic but not only is the FP my preferred brew method (and yes I have literally tried everything, I work in the coffee industry after all) it is also very versatile. I also kind of like that it forces you to slow down and wait, also a reason absinthe is my preferred liquor, I like taking my time. You can easily vary brew strength by changing grind and time and you can use it to froth milk and make whipped cream. You can also use them to separate juice from pulp when making fruit juice.

But if you just want to boil and go, then instant is where it's at. Check out a company called Swift Cup. They make instant for craft roasteries exclusively. The roaster I work for sent a few thousand pounds to them and the quality of product is perfect. When brewed correctly you cannot tell the difference between a cup or drip or the instant. You can also make an instant concentrate to emulate espresso. You can also brew instant cold if you need to scoot now, but still need some caffeine.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

French press. I may be a hopeless romantic but not only is the FP my preferred brew method (and yes I have literally tried everything, I work in the coffee industry after all) it is also very versatile. I also kind of like that it forces you to slow down and wait, also a reason absinthe is my preferred liquor, I like taking my time. You can easily vary brew strength by changing grind and time and you can use it to froth milk and make whipped cream. You can also use them to separate juice from pulp when making fruit juice.

But if you just want to boil and go, then instant is where it's at. Check out a company called Swift Cup. They make instant for craft roasteries exclusively. The roaster I work for sent a few thousand pounds to them and the quality of product is perfect. When brewed correctly you cannot tell the difference between a cup or drip or the instant. You can also make an instant concentrate to emulate espresso. You can also brew instant cold if you need to scoot now, but still need some caffeine.

Do you mean Swift Coffee? SWIFT Coffee Seems reasonably priced. They seem to go by 2 names; cup/coffee.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have tried many methods for making coffee while away from home. Honestly, I get the most consistent coffee if I bring my Stanley Adventure French press with me because that's what I use at home. Otherwise I am actually pretty partial to the new trend of coffee "tea" bags for the ease of use and lack of cleanup. For the (semi)coffee snob that I am, I have had good options and good results with this method. Otherwise I have a GSI mesh pour over that I take with me because it works, packs down well, and it's what I have. Having an insulated mug helps me too since I can't really drink cold coffee unless it was brewed to be cold coffee (i.e. cold brew). The French press will hold some heat in; long enough to brew/steep and pour. Otherwise it has to go straight into the insulated mug....I digress.