Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

The only drawback would be the lack of an “outside” screened area with the core. Which can be resolved if needed.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

I use an ARB awning with attached awning room. Sleeps around 4 people comfortably. It’s a little expensive for someone just starting out but if you want to go to an awning setup eventually anyways then it might not be a bad way to go.
I have seen that and realistically is I think I would get an awning.

how do you like it? I have seen some reviews online but nothing with a family.

how long does it take to fully deploy?

do you know if you can attach it to a 270 awning? I know the room would not be the size of the 270.

sorry for all the questions but I really haven’t seen much or read much about it for the use I would use it for.
So far I love it. I’ve camped in it with myself, a friend, and both of my dogs (90 pounds each). It’s worked out pretty well for us. Sleeps 2 with the dogs really comfortably, could easily sleep 1 more adult and 2 more kids. The footprint is around 6.5’x8’.

I don’t think you can attach it to a 270, but there are 270 degree awnings that have walls for a similar result, you just don’t get the ability to have a screen wall or a floor.

Reactions: Jrodrigues1278

K-G

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Hope, Alabama, United States
First Name
Kajetan
Last Name
Groicher
Member #

One other way to go might be a "SUV" tent. They fit a wide variety of vehicles, and I bought one for my '05 Silverado. Link follows to one such item:

I have been struggling for some time to find the best solution for my needs. I have a camper shell on the truck, and a sleeping platform inside. It generally works well, as long as I'm the only one using it. At 6'8", the short bed truck leaves some to be desired. I thought about getting a bigger truck, but I can't justify that expense. I thought about a RTT, but am not 100% sure my Leer shell will support it. Plus, I don't want to raise my CG too much. Another draw back for me is that once the RTT is deployed, I'm basically there for the night. There are, of course, obvious benefits to the RTT that many have pointed out in other posts.

I went with the "SUV" tent, and here is what I like about it:
  • I have an area that is out of the weather large enough to stand in, sleep several, stow gear, etc. It's pretty flexible depending on the trip and who comes with me.
  • I can quickly detach it from the truck and zip it up, leaving a campsite "claimed" but allowing me to go explore. I really like this for camping at the national parks around me.
  • The cost is a huge bonus. This is a not a major investment.
  • My feet are no longer pressed up against the lift gate glass when I sleep.
Just a thought.

Best-
KG

Zblink1888

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Whiteley
Member #

I have a Wawona 6 ground tent that ended up huge (i under estimated its size from the few youtube videos i watched) but i am not complaining about the size. I have 2 cots plus a large dog cot (St Bernard size with dog bed) with lots of room to move around
(RTT is not an option as long as I keep having St's, Idk how i would hoist one up there)

And with the front and rear vestibules to keep gear and stuff dry and not take up the main tent space is pretty sweet as well (the rear one is large enough for a cooler or some backpacks, large front one is in the picture)

They are usually kinda pricey (399) but they did just have a sale and I'm sure there will be another one not too far away bringing it down to around 250
- North Face is pretty good about warrantying their tents as well.

*Picnic table for scale as well

Attachments

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have a Gazelle T3 and love it, my boys and I can set it up in about 5 minutes. We use a moving blanket for the floor and packing it up is just as easy. I like the fact the bag it goes in is oversized, not like other tents where it's almost impossible to put back in the bag after the first use. With the T3 it and the rain fly easily go back in the bag with room to spare. I have a RTT also and use the T3 for those times a RTT isn't feasible or my boys are with me and don't want to hear my snoring! Eventually I'll be getting a T4, most likely the one with screen room. The combination of a T3 and T4 with screen room will make a great base camp with plenty of shelter and area to sleep.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
For my family, the way to go is quick, and easy. Having looked at both the t3 and t4, only the t4 would have worked for us. However, we used my Coleman 4 person instant tent. My wife, myself, and my 3.5yo daughter slept in it for 3 nights. While it worked, it was TIGHT. The coleman 4 person has about the same footprint as the T4. We'll be bumping up to the 6 person before our next trip in July. I didn't originally intend to use the 4 person for the family, but it's what we had, so we made it work.

That being said, I think for 4+1, you're probably going to need something bigger than the Gazelle. You have to take into account the fact that you need to fit people, plus gear in there. Sleeping pads/air mattresses take up more room than the sleeping bags most of the time. I've heard really good things about the Core tents, especially for the price. Obviously, you could also spend alot more as well.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
So is the T4 a no go for 4 people with sleeping pads? I have myself, wife, 5 year old and a 1 year old to fit but I'm thinking a year or two from now when it's a 3 year old and an 8 year old trying to fit. I like the plus but it's double the tent and double the cost though.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I don't know the conditions where you camp. But giant fair weather tents don't stand a chance where I go. Snapped poles, stretched fabric, torn zippers, floods etc. etc.

I suggest multiple 3 person backpacking tents. We used one tent for boys, one for girls. 2 people to a 3 person tent. 1 to a 2 person tent, etc. etc. One tent with a bad night, doesn't wreck everyone's night.

Moutain Hardwear, Marmot, MSR, Big Agnes.

Reactions: Downs

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

My family of 4 has been tent camping for years. I know one thing that I have learned, is that I like faster set ups and take downs, but that is me. I also have learned that for a family of 4 plus gear, a 6+ person tent is much more comfortable space wise. Also keep in mind the pack down size of those tents that you are looking at, because they will need to fit in your vehicle. I have multiple tents. On longer stay trips I will use our 6 person tent which has a vestibule on it. For shorter trips I used to use a 3 person tent plus a hammock or 1 person tent. Last year I switched to a large 4 person for ease of set up, and our gear stays in the Jeep. My thoughts are that a 4 person tent may be a little small for your needs. Look up the dimensions and build it at home from string or tape.