• HTML tutorial

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Hello Everyone!

My OB badge arrived last week but wasn't able to create this thread till now - I wasn't able to get to my other badges until yesterday.

From what I can tell grill badges, as well as collecting & displaying them on the grill, are primarily a UK and Common Wealth thing and never really caught on here in the States. There are some exceptions to this rule though - the vintage British car community - and being a member of this community it is basically de rigueur to collect and display grill badges on your vehicle.

For the fun of it here is my burgeoning collection for my vintage Land Rover.

The top one is an AA (Automobile Association) badge from the mid '60s. I'd like to hunt one down for the year my Landy was built - 1963.

The RAC (Royal Auto Club) badge is my own - yes - I am a member!

The bottom badge I actually had a hand in designing; it is the badge for the Land Rover Leaf-sprung group I'm a member of. BTW - owners of vintage leaf-sprung Rovers are known as "leafers".

The one in the middle is , of course, my new OB badge (#1184)!! Even though this isn't a "traditional" grill badge I'll build a mounting plate for it so it can be attached to the grill.

The badge I'm the most proud of (sorry OB) is the last one though - the "Bloody Knuckles Pub" badge (#008). This badge was created in the early '90s and only 50 were made. Nowadays the ONLY way to get one is to find a badge owner willing to sell/give you one or to have it bequeathed to you. The other criteria is that you be a leaf-sprung Landy owner who had "bloodied" his knuckles working on one enough to warrant one.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Those are really cool. I'll have to add searching for grill badges to my list when I'm on a journey.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Welcome to the group!

Those are very cool!
Im afraid that If i put those on my grille, they would be stolen by the local knuckleheads in 1 day.
Sadly that does happen.... A few years back a friend suggested I source and extra grill; the nicest grill would hold the badges and the other would be left plain. The idea is that when you go somewhere, like a rally or show, you place the grill with the badges on the Landy and the plain one could be used when running around.

Reactions: NorthStar96

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Those are really cool. I'll have to add searching for grill badges to my list when I'm on a journey.
It can be addictive!! Take a look on eBay and you will find all sorts of cool ones. Once in a blue moon you will find an actual badge in places here in the use, but anything can be converted into one!

Reactions: ShawnR

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Congratulations on the new addition to your collection, Larry! I've been searching for some method to use my Overland Badge as a grille badge. There's a Miata grille badge mount available, but it is quite pricey, and the diameter is too large. If I had welding skills (or knew someone local who does), I'd make one with a disk and a flathead bolt. If you find something, I'd be interested.

Here's the only grille badge I currently have, for the Lorain County (Ohio) British Car Club - LoCo Brits

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Congratulations on the new addition to your collection, Larry! I've been searching for some method to use my Overland Badge as a grille badge. There's a Miata grille badge mount available, but it is quite pricey, and the diameter is too large. If I had welding skills (or knew someone local who does), I'd make one with a disk and a flathead bolt. If you find something, I'd be interested.

Here's the only grille badge I currently have, for the Lorain County (Ohio) British Car Club - LoCo Brits

NICE!!!!

I looked up the Miata grille badge mount...not sure if I found the right thing though - is this it?

http://www.cravenspeed.com/grille-badge-holder/

If so I might just have a solution for you. Let me know.

Larry

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

NICE!!!!

I looked up the Miata grille badge mount...not sure if I found the right thing though - is this it?

http://www.cravenspeed.com/grille-badge-holder/

If so I might just have a solution for you. Let me know.

Larry
Larry,

Yep, that's similar to what I saw. And I was mistaken, it was the MINI. not the Miata. I wrote to one of the vendors, and the disk was something like 1/2" too large for the Overland Bound badge. But the same sort of idea. I was thinking like that, or two studs welded on the back of a steel disk, with washers and wing nuts on the inside of the grille. Two would keep it from rotating. I haven't looked to see how long it would have to be to fit through the 4Runner grille.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Larry,

Yep, that's similar to what I saw. And I was mistaken, it was the MINI. not the Miata. I wrote to one of the vendors, and the disk was something like 1/2" too large for the Overland Bound badge. But the same sort of idea. I was thinking like that, or two studs welded on the back of a steel disk, with washers and wing nuts on the inside of the grille. Two would keep it from rotating. I haven't looked to see how long it would have to be to fit through the 4Runner grille.
Sorry for the delay in response Steve...

Are you wanting something the same size as the badge to place it on or something a bit larger in order to give it a "frame"? I have a small piece of aluminum plate and could cut a disc for you. After that a couple of countersunk holes could be drilled and screws fitted.

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, California, United States
First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

Like you said it's a common wealth thing. If you live in pebble beach (the golf course) you get one for your grill. It's like a badge to get you in the gate. I'm sure other prestigus housing complexes are the same.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Correus I was thinking slightly smaller than the Overland Bound Badge, so there would be no basket visible. But I'm not thinking of just sticking the badge on the back of the 4Runner like I had on my Outback.

Thanks!