Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
Welcome to my build thread! My goal is to build an overlanding/adventure truck that can take me into remote areas to explore, camp, fish, etc... often solo. More importantly, I want the truck to also get me out of those places. :grin: I'll try to choose modifications that serve this purpose. Over the next few posts I'll bring you up-to-date on what I've done since I bought the truck.

Here it is on the first day I bought it, almost exactly two years ago.

20180910_picture_at_woodside_trail_beach_first_day_owned_50_percent.jpg

Year: 2018
Make: Nissan
Model: Frontier/D40
Trim: SV 4x4, crew cab, short bed, with the Value Truck Package
Engine: 4.0L V6 (VQ40DE)
Transmission: Manual 6 speed
Color: Gun Metal

Last edited:
Reactions: bawesomfels

OVERMTN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Monterosso
Member #

Welcome! Before you go spending tons of money, go out and have fun as is with basic camping gear. That way you see what you need and only buy that. You would be surprised how capable your rig is without 1000 lbs of trendy stuff you don’t really need. Plus, when you go out with other Overland Bound members, they can help you with real suspension systems, protection etc... Have fun!!!

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
Within the first week of owning it I installed some weatherproof floor mats. I like to go skiing, camping, kayaking, etc so there's always mud, dirt, snow, sand, etc on my shoes. ;)

front_mats_25_percent.jpg
rear_mats_25_percent.jpg

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
Added some side window deflectors to keep out the wind and rain, and a hood deflector to protect from rocks and bugs.

deflectors_25_percent.jpg

weathertech_hood_deflector_25_percent.jpg

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
I routed the rear axle diff breather up behind the tail light to prevent it from clogging, and from getting water in the diff when crossing water. There are other breathers on the truck that I want to bring up to a manifold under the hood. Haven't done that yet.

axle_25_percent.jpg

tail_light_25_percent.jpg

Last edited:

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
I needed a way to haul my kayak, so I installed a Thule roof rack, as well as some nylon loops that bolt under the hood that stay tucked in when I don't need them. I also installed a stubby antenna to keep from banging into it while loading and unloading the kayak.

20200703_nissan_frontier_loaded_kayak_beverly_triton_beach_sanitized_license_plate_1200.png

Last edited:

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
Many of my adventures are solo, and sometimes that means being up on a rough Forest Service road by myself. Not wanting to find myself stranded with a rock through something important, I added an (almost) full set of Hefty Fabworks aluminum skid plates that protect the gas tank, transfer case, transmission, and engine.

gas_transfer_transmission_installed_50_percent.jpg

The stock radiator skid plate - the only one that came on the truck - protects the radiator... for now. ;)

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
Keeping with the theme of avoiding being stranded somewhere remote by myself, I installed auto dimming/shutoff headlights so I won't leave my lights on and drain the battery. Maybe one of these days I'll tell you about the time I was stranded with a dead battery in 12 degree F weather at 1 am with only a light jacket for warmth. It made me very aware of risks and how to mitigate them.

I believe there was only one Frontier trim that had auto headlights, but oddly enough my truck has all the sensors and programming to support them. All I had to do was order the correct switch and install it. Here it is after installation, with the old switch in hand for comparison.

20200824_105351_1200.jpg

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
This brings us pretty much up-to-date. There have been some other minor modifications, but nothing really worth mentioning in the context of an overland build. My latest project is a new front bumper! I recently received my Hefty Fabworks front bumper with a low hoop, fog light mounts, and room for a winch. I finished painting it a couple of days ago, and will hopefully have time to install it soon!

painted.jpeg
painted-close-up.jpeg

Terran Mace

Rank III
Launch Member

Explorer I

Sedalia Mo
First Name
Terran
Last Name
Mace
Member #

Welcome! Before you go spending tons of money, go out and have fun as is with basic camping gear. That way you see what you need and only buy that. You would be surprised how capable your rig is without 1000 lbs of trendy stuff you don’t really need. Plus, when you go out with other Overland Bound members, they can help you with real suspension systems, protection etc... Have fun!!!
I totally agree I went on tons of adventures in my stock rig it really showed me what gear and mods were a true priority.

Reactions: GreyMatter

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I love me a good D40 build. I don't care what anybody said. I think the nissans are one of the best looking trucks out there!

As somebody who ran a stock 04 colorado for a while, I can tell you that heading out in a stock truck is the best way to learn what you really need, and to challenge yourself.

What I found is that 8 inches of clearance and a long wheelbase didn’t work for what I wanted to do. So I bought an 03 Xterra!

All of your mods so far are great starting points, and something pretty much everyone should do (I still don't have skids on the X).

I'd recommend some sliders as well. If you head down any tight somewhat Rocky trails, they're very handy. Honestly, the first time you use them, they basically pay for themselves.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Nice progress on the build, Alien. thumbsup.gif

My Frontier build was going good, until the China-Flu. Then, we sold our house and bought a newly built house. I'm now focusing on building a shop, so the Frontier is on the back burner(so to speak).

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
Nice progress on the build, Alien. View attachment 170685

My Frontier build was going good, until the China-Flu. Then, we sold our house and bought a newly built house. I'm now focusing on building a shop, so the Frontier is on the back burner(so to speak).
I like your build too! That's the suspension lift I think I'm going to go with. How is the ride? Did you remove the rear sway bar like PRG recommends?

Reactions: eagle_A40

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

I like your build too! That's the suspension lift I think I'm going to go with. How is the ride? Did you remove the rear sway bar like PRG recommends?
The ride is unbelievably smooth. My wife commented on it riding better than her Highlander. Of course, I'm running tall tires with lots of sidewall(LT255/85-R16 ...... 33'1") .
I removed the Front Sway bar. No Rear Sway bar on my SV 4X4.

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
I installed the bumper today. I still need to put the license plate and skid plate back on, and may clean up the cut on the plastic fascia and make some minor adjustments to even out the gap between the fascia and the top of the bumper a little more. Over all I'm pleased with the result!

installed_1200.jpg

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
Installed the radiator skid plate. I had to tap one of the holes where the tow hook was bolted on because it was cross threaded from the factory. :rage: Under armor is complete, except maybe a beefier rear diff cover. I'll probably install some rock sliders at some point too.

20201006_installed_1200.jpg

Last edited: