Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

New member here. Happy 2018 Everyone
Looking to get advise on some modifications for our 2015 Wrangler JK. Specifically roof rack advice, like most people who don't have one... Myself I like the Smittybilt Exoskeleton. Would like to find someone who has one and see how well it works with a rooftop tent.
Ideas for a trailer build.
Find a good rooftop tent.
Meet new people and find places to explore!

Reactions: Chadlyb

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Welcome and congrats on owning the 2nd coolest vehicle on the trail. IMO don’t spend your money on a roof rack if you are building a trailer, just put your money towards the trailer.

Cons for roof rack:
1. Reduces overhead clearance on trails
2. Some can inhibit your ability to go topless (just another thing all the non-wranglers on the trail can’t do)
3. Added weight
4. Added expense

Pros:
1. Convenience, you can haul a bunch of stuff up there
2. RTTs are awesome and can be set up quickly and easily
3. You are more agile with a roof rack than you would be with a trailer

I am not a roof rack expert. I have one on my Jeep but it is not a body mount and won’t support a bunch of weight. There is nothing better to me than running trails without my top and doors so I would encourage you not to give up that feature of your vehicle if you can help it. I think RTTs and trailers are awesome. If I could justify the expense, I would go that way. I can certainly understand the argument for the other too though. Good luck and keep us posted on your build!

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Looking to get advise on some modifications for our 2015 Wrangler JK. Specifically roof rack advice, like most people who don't have one... Myself I like the Smittybilt Exoskeleton. Would like to find someone who has one and see how well it works with a rooftop tent.
Hello and welcome to the OB crew...looking forward to seeing your build and adventures

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hi Swhirstein and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

Thanks for the advise soonersfan, I bought my first Wrangler while I lived in Oklahoma, going to school down in Durant. It was a lot of fun going on the trails that surround Lake Texoma! Purchasing my JK has brought all those memories back. As soon as more funds come in I will most definitely be updating on the build. Until then the dilemma will continue; to stay compact with a roof rack & RTT or custom build a trailer... Thanks for the welcome everybody!

MadCityDriver

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Madison, WI
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9FON
Welcome! You’ll find lots of help here from some great people. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk