Greetings from Puerto Rico!

• HTML tutorial

JoePrez

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hello everyone, just joining as I'm a total newbie in this hobby!

I've always like camping and spent various years of my childhood as a scout and even kept camping with friends afterwards. Twenty something years later and my older son is a cub scout and loves camping and now that my daughter is 4 and my wife is kind of enjoying going to camp, I figured it's the right time go enjoy the outdoors more.

I do own camping gear, and as a boy scout and fan of the "always prepared" mentality, also enjoy other gear as backpacks, knives, etc.

We currently don't have a capable vehicle in the family to tackle some of the adventures we would like to embark on, but that hasn't stop us on having fun on the places we can get to. We don't have big rocky trails in Puerto Rico, but to get to some peaks and secluded beaches, a 4x4 or AWD is a must as it rains here a lot (twice we've had problems with my wife's FWD Toyota Highlander getting stuck in wet terrain).

Planning on getting a vehicle next year, would love a 4Runner (wife probably will say its too much money), Tacoma is high on the list (because she ok'd it, lol... plus its an easy way to move the mountain bikes), but I also have been eyeing the Subaru Crosstrek (maybe the Forrester too). I don't need tons of space as its just two adults and two kids (no pets) and campings will continue to be a "weekend affair" (two or three nights at the most) for the near future (plus you can cross this island in a little more than 2 hours). Another thing, this would be my daily driver and I have a 80 miles daily commute, so would be nice to have decent mileage (waiting for Ford to confirm the engines available for the "new to the US" Ranger). So, small 4 door pick up or capable mid size SUV is what I'm looking for. I haven't had any experience with Jeeps... like the way they look but not sure I will enjoy driving 80 highway miles in one everyday.

So that's about it... over the year I've been a member of multiple forums (sports cars, knives, guns, watches, EDC, scuba diving) and I've made great friends in some of them. Let's hope that is the case here.

Kind regards,

Joe

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello everyone, just joining as I'm a total newbie in this hobby!

I've always like camping and spent various years of my childhood as a scout and even kept camping with friends afterwards. Twenty something years later and my older son is a cub scout and loves camping and now that my daughter is 4 and my wife is kind of enjoying going to camp, I figured it's the right time go enjoy the outdoors more.

I do own camping gear, and as a boy scout and fan of the "always prepared" mentality, also enjoy other gear as backpacks, knives, etc.

We currently don't have a capable vehicle in the family to tackle some of the adventures we would like to embark on, but that hasn't stop us on having fun on the places we can get to. We don't have big rocky trails in Puerto Rico, but to get to some peaks and secluded beaches, a 4x4 or AWD is a must as it rains here a lot (twice we've had problems with my wife's FWD Toyota Highlander getting stuck in wet terrain).

Planning on getting a vehicle next year, would love a 4Runner (wife probably will say its too much money), Tacoma is high on the list (because she ok'd it, lol... plus its an easy way to move the mountain bikes), but I also have been eyeing the Subaru Crosstrek (maybe the Forrester too). I don't need tons of space as its just two adults and two kids (no pets) and campings will continue to be a "weekend affair" (two or three nights at the most) for the near future (plus you can cross this island in a little more than 2 hours). Another thing, this would be my daily driver and I have a 80 miles daily commute, so would be nice to have decent mileage (waiting for Ford to confirm the engines available for the "new to the US" Ranger). So, small 4 door pick up or capable mid size SUV is what I'm looking for. I haven't had any experience with Jeeps... like the way they look but not sure I will enjoy driving 80 highway miles in one everyday.

So that's about it... over the year I've been a member of multiple forums (sports cars, knives, guns, watches, EDC, scuba diving) and I've made great friends in some of them. Let's hope that is the case here.

Kind regards,

Joe
Hello Joe and welcome to the OB crew...looking forward to seeing the vehicle choice and your adventures.

JoePrez

Rank 0

Contributor I

Half a year later.... but finally got my first 4x4 vehicle: 2020 Tacoma Off Road. Decided to wait for a 2020 model to get the driver’s power seat, LEDs Apple Carplay and a bigger LCD on the radio. Hasn't been able to “test” it off road due to the Corona Virus pandemic (only has 500 highway miles), but well, that’s life! Very happy with the purchase nonetheless.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Half a year later.... but finally got my first 4x4 vehicle: 2020 Tacoma Off Road. Decided to wait for a 2020 model to get the driver’s power seat, LEDs Apple Carplay and a bigger LCD on the radio. Hasn't been able to “test” it off road due to the Corona Virus pandemic (only has 500 highway miles), but well, that’s life! Very happy with the purchase nonetheless.
Welcome back! Nice truck.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch