Greetings from Oregon

• HTML tutorial

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Greetings one and all. I've been lurking around the forums for about a month, and checking out some of the videos. I liked what I've seen, so decided to join. I'm looking forward to participating in the community.

I've been camping on and off for most of my life, and enjoy off-roading, hiking, geocaching, and shooting. I've also recently taken up photography, and enjoy collecting what I refer to as trophy shots. I recently purchased a 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X. It's already very capable, but I'm looking forward to getting her built up and outfitted.

IMG_1882.jpg

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Greetings and welcome form a Colorado Newbie.

Any recommendations for coastal places to visit in OR? I'm planning a road trip for later this year with some friends and would like to find some coastal trophy shots that are more than the everyday Instagram tourist shots.

Boort

Reactions: Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Greetings and welcome form a Colorado Newbie.

Any recommendations for coastal places to visit in OR? I'm planning a road trip for later this year with some friends and would like to find some coastal trophy shots that are more than the everyday Instagram tourist shots.

Boort
While I've been visiting the coast for most of my life, I haven't really done much exploring off the beaten path there. I don't have any secret spots there to share, unfortunately. But there are lots of great places for photos, both with and without your rig. At the northwest tip of the state is Fort Stevens. Cool place to visit, if you're into history. You can go into the old bunkers and gun emplacements. Most of the guns are gone now, but there are still a few here and there. If you want to play in the sand, there's the Oregon Dunes, just south of Florence. That's a lot of fun. If you like lighthouses, there's several along the coast. Some of them, like the one at Yaquina Head in Newport, have tours. I'm not sure if there are any that you can drive right up to and park in front of for photos, but you can get close enough to most of them to have them in the background. There are a couple of places where you can drive on the beach as well. We have fantastic sunsets, so your rig on the beach in the right light would make a great shot.

All that being said, we have a lot of tourists at the coast taking a lot of pictures. Finding a spot for a unique photo can be challenging, but not impossible.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Quicksilver

Thanks that is good info. I'll check out Ft Stevens and see the options for photography at that site. This trip will not be in my rig since I can only carry 1 passenger. Likely gonna take a rental so no dunes this trip :( Yaquina Head Lh is on the list already. Any suggestions for great places to eat or non-chain coffee? We try to support the one off local places and avoid chains when possible. Right now I think we'll be staying near Manzanita, Pacific City, Florance and Newport; depending on weather and photography potential. Might also continue further South or North up into WA if conditions dictate.

Boort

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the chain coffee places either. I don't really have any suggestions, though. I just get coffee wherever I end up eating breakfast.

Never spent any time in Manzanita, other than passing through. Pacific City is one of the places where you can drive on the beach, depending on what your rental car is. Pelican Pub & Brewery in Pacific City has great beer, and their beer battered fish and chips (made with their cream ale) is fantastic. Another good place for fish is J's Fish and Chips in Lincoln City. It's nothing special, just a little shack, really. But they have great fish. The Wifey and I eat there whenever we're passing through.

On your way to Newport, I recommend stopping in Depoe Bay. Lots of little touristy shops there, but there is a pod of grey whales that live there year-round. If you have the time, I highly suggest taking a whale watching cruise. You go out for an hour or an hour and a half, and they'll get you right up next to them a lot of the time. The whales being resident, are used to people and boats and don't get spooked. You can get some really cool photos. If you go, I recommend Dockside Charters. We went with them last time and liked them a lot.

In Agate Beach, at the intersection where you turn off to go to Yaquina Head lighthouse, there was a small cafe that we had breakfast at a few times and enjoyed. Last time we were in the area, they were closed and the building was up for sale. But if someone else has opened up a new place, it might be worth checking out. In Newport, you can go down to the harbor and get some shots of all the boats moored there, the bridge, etc. All kind of postcard type stuff, but still makes for some nice shots. You can also go out onto the jetties and get shots of the boats coming and going.

Something I just remembered: between Newport and Florence is a place called Thor's Well ( 44° 16.710'N, 124° 6.806'W). I've not been there yet, but it's on my trophy shot list. If you stop there, you'll want to be very careful. The best shots of it are at high tide, and apparently you'll need to be down on the rocks. Sneaker waves are no joke. They'll ruin your day in a big way.

I'm not familiar with anything in Florence. I've only been to the Dunes a couple of times, and never spent any time in town beyond driving through. If you decide to go further south, you might check out Sunset Bay. It's a state park and campground near Coos Bay, and is where my love of the Oregon coast first developed. It was my first trip to the coast when I was 11 or 12. If you have the time to stay a day or two, there are a lot of trails, botanical gardens, and cool rock formations. Plenty of great photo opportunities. Especially, of course, at sunset.

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Quicksilver

Thank you. I've added these to my research list. It's good to know of a good charter service for whale watching as that is one of the events we have discussed doing.

Thors well is on my list but I did not have GPS for it yet. Note that from my research there is also Devil's churn and Sprouting Horn which can erupt with slightly different conditions. so If Thor's well is not doing much these might offer a view. From what I've learned Thor's Well and Spouting Horn tend to be best an hour before high tide and to about an hour after high tide. The height of the spouts are is a function of the height the tide and the direction of the incoming swells.

I've bumped up sunset bay on our location list as well.

Thanks again!
Boort

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Welcome to the community, from Austin, TX. I lived in Portland/Vancouver area for many years. Love the outdoor culture of Oregon.