Greetings from Fallbrook, CA

• HTML tutorial

Paul Varese

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and pretty new to overlanding. I do some backpacking and some offroading and I like to tinker on my vehicles, so I have some related experience. My recreational vehicle is a mildly outfitted 2002 Grand Cherokee that I've been using to explore around Death Valley and the Mojave Desert. I'm still getting all the kinks worked out with catching up on maintenance, getting the suspension just right, etc. I don't usually get to travel with another vehicle, which I know is dangerous, especially since I don't know what I'm doing. So, I've had to stay within hiking distance of main roads in case I get stuck or break down. I recently got invited on a 3-day excursion across Mojave Road in November. I am super excited about getting to travel off-road and camp with a friends and other vehicles. I'm looking forward to meeting some local members from this group and hopefully getting together for overland excursions or even just to work on our rigs together.

~ Paul in Fallbrook, CA

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and pretty new to overlanding. I do some backpacking and some offroading and I like to tinker on my vehicles, so I have some related experience. My recreational vehicle is a mildly outfitted 2002 Grand Cherokee that I've been using to explore around Death Valley and the Mojave Desert. I'm still getting all the kinks worked out with catching up on maintenance, getting the suspension just right, etc. I don't usually get to travel with another vehicle, which I know is dangerous, especially since I don't know what I'm doing. So, I've had to stay within hiking distance of main roads in case I get stuck or break down. I recently got invited on a 3-day excursion across Mojave Road in November. I am super excited about getting to travel off-road and camp with a friends and other vehicles. I'm looking forward to meeting some local members from this group and hopefully getting together for overland excursions or even just to work on our rigs together.

~ Paul in Fallbrook, CA
Hello Paul and welcome to the OB crew...look forward to seeing your build and your adventures.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey Everyone,

~ Paul in Fallbrook, CA
Welcome to Overland Bound!

There is a meet up in the San Diego and the Orange County area that you might want to check out.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/reoccurring-san-diego-overland-bound-monthly-meet-03-22-2018.13317/

This is San Diego Overland Bound Trail Run page.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/san-diego-overland-bound-trail-runs.17178/

Orange County.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/reoccurring-orange-county-overland-bound-monthly-meet-up-06-02-2018.13515/

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Hey Everyone,

~ Paul in Fallbrook, CA
You should go to the Inland Empire meet and greets. There is one this weekend. Always fun.

Enthusiast II

Usually west of the Rockies
First Name
Jess
Last Name
Pruitt
Hey Everyone,

~ Paul in Fallbrook, CA
Welcome!

Paul Varese

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Well none of the meetups are that close, but luckily, I've got three different ones to choose from that are all about the same distance! I just might to head up to the IE meet & greet, but the Jeep needs so much work I'm supposed to catch up on this weekend! It's a second job :sweatsmile:

Reactions: WrightRunner

Off Trail Yeti

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Bonsall, CA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Rehder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7DUG
Hello Paul, I live just down the street from you. I'am in Bonsall. I'm currently building up my FJ62 TLC. I'm in the same boat, have not had a chance to get out(work) but this is going to be the year. If you ever need any help on your rig let me know. I'm currently putting on an ARB bumper. I have sliders and a custom roof rack coming in the next six weeks. AND WELCOME !

Paul Varese

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hello Paul, I live just down the street from you. I'am in Bonsall. I'm currently building up my FJ62 TLC. I'm in the same boat, have not had a chance to get out(work) but this is going to be the year. If you ever need any help on your rig let me know. I'm currently putting on an ARB bumper. I have sliders and a custom roof rack coming in the next six weeks. AND WELCOME !
Hey Neighbor! I love the old FJ's. Congrats on the ARB bumper. Let me know if you want a hand getting it mounted. I 'm sure you can do it alone, but it's much easier with beer... I mean help. I'm also up for quick trail runs around here. I don't go as often as I should since I'm afraid to have a break down or get stuck all alone in the middle of nowhere. I'm working on my rig pretty much every weekend and some weeknights right now. I have plans in the desert and I need to get prepared :)

Paul Varese

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Have any experience cutting/rolling fenders? I unhooked my sway bar this weekend and now I know I must do that. I don't think it's that hard.... but I'm a little squeamish about cutting into the body.

Off Trail Yeti

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Bonsall, CA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Rehder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7DUG
Hi Paul, I have never made any cutting into the fender body. How much do you need to cut? The one thing I would do is plan it out and go through the motions before cutting. I do that now so I can see if there is an improved way of cutting or doing any body work. I rebuilt a CJ7 from the ground up about 20years ago and made a lot of mistakes, but my dad was a body man and we were able to fix all my rushed mistakes. Let me know how it goes.

Paul Varese

Rank I

Enthusiast I

That's the hard part. Deciding how much to cut and how to cut it. Some people just trim an inch or so at the front and back of the well while others just shave most of the flare off of the fender. Some people cut it all the way back to where they want it and apply door edge molding. The slick way to do it is leave a margin, cut in tabs, and then roll back the edge leaving a nice rounded lip and adding a bit of strength to the fender. Trying to decide if I want to go the easy quick cut route, or attempt to roll it, which could look awesome or could look worse if I don't do a good job. Maybe I can pick up a fender at the junk yard to practice on.