Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I had a one of my padlock hasps grenade recently due to pressure building up in the scepter can and a rough trail. I originally used a gate hasp to secure the can holders I built on my Bantam trailer. The hasps worked good, but ultimately, moving parts led to a failure.

8C766712-18B2-499B-81F7-A09D144F746B.jpeg

While looking for a pin for another project, I stumbled upon these category 1 hitch pins. They are 7/8” on the pin side, but even a regular sized padlock has no problem fitting. The threaded side is 5/8”. The total length of the pin is 2 3/4”, 1 1/4” for the smooth side, and 1 1/2” on the threads.
400903A7-28DE-4075-BFB6-5041B15419D6.jpeg

I didn’t have the space to use the nut, so I just drilled a hole close to the angle iron I was putting them through and welded them in. You could just bolt them together, maybe used some loctite to secure it, but I would still weld the nut.
9C782236-8DC7-4D73-8FF6-89D9AC8B7C3D.jpeg

02164A24-7861-47DD-8BE3-9D6CFD9A2EFB.jpeg

So far they work great! I will use these anytime I need to secure my stuff with a padlock.
Happy fabricating,
Lorax

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I had a one of my padlock hasps grenade recently due to pressure building up in the scepter can and a rough trail. I originally used a gate hasp to secure the can holders I built on my Bantam trailer. The hasps worked good, but ultimately, moving parts led to a failure.

View attachment 63990

While looking for a pin for another project, I stumbled upon these category 1 hitch pins. They are 7/8” on the pin side, but even a regular sized padlock has no problem fitting. The threaded side is 5/8”. The total length of the pin is 2 3/4”, 1 1/4” for the smooth side, and 1 1/2” on the threads.
View attachment 63985

I didn’t have the space to use the nut, so I just drilled a hole close to the angle iron I was putting them through and welded them in. You could just bolt them together, maybe used some loctite to secure it, but I would still weld the nut.
View attachment 63987

View attachment 63988

So far they work great! I will use these anytime I need to secure my stuff with a padlock.
Happy fabricating,
Lorax
Those are great....thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Russell Peters

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Orem, Ut
Member #

View attachment 63990

View attachment 63985

View attachment 63987

View attachment 63988

Happy fabricating,
Lorax
Where did you find those hitch pins?