Great Little Radio!

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Consider getting a whip antenna for it, the rubber ducky it comes with is generally junk. I also have an adapter so I can plug my Baofeng into a standard coax cable in case my Icom bites the dust. I also keep a roll-up dual band j-pole in the truck for emergencies.
You can build up a pretty decent "oh shit" kit from one of those that would also be fun to play with around camp if you can hit a repeater.

Reactions: BlackBear

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
You can also install an antenna on your rig and use that instead of the OEM. A mobile antenna will give you much better performance. I used to get good input reports on the Palomar Mountain repeater from south San Diego county on 5W with a handheld through a mobile antenna. The was around 50 miles LOS.

Roger

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

SW Ohio
Member #

I concur. The baofeng is a great HT especially for the price. It was my first radio when I got my Tec license. You are absolutely correct about the provided rubber ducky upgrade. I used in my rig with a a mag mount. I have two of them now keeping one In a small comms go bag. Once you figure out how to manually enter repeaters to the memory (which can be hard at first) you will really appreciate this good little radio.

Reactions: BlackBear