Boanerges91oh

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Scott
This may seem like an odd question, but this is something that I haven’t really been concerned with until I started an overland build. With that being said. Is there a grease out there that is recommended or am I overthinking? I’ve previously used Lucas oil red and tacky in my street car and daily driven vehicles, but these never see off-road or water crossings. I just lubed all of the u-joints and drive shafts in my 4Runner with the greenish color Lucas HD grease. I went with new OEM lower ball joints which are sealed so those are non serviceable. Any help or advice is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I just did the spider joints, yoke shaft and the UCA bushings (and an oil change) on my 4Runner today, I used SuperLube on the UCAs and Mobile 1 Synthetic (red) on the joints and yoke. I went with Mobile as it was recommended here. I honestly am learning so much about my rigs maintance due to off-roading, the ol’ ounce of prevention is worth a pound of (fill in the blank here) is something I try to follow, and have added this to the checklist when I change the oil on my rig - Happy Trails!

Bad Sport

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

National City, CA, USA
First Name
Lyle
Last Name
Mardis
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
I use Red N Tacky as well. I carry the mini gun and cartridges on the trail. No complaints with the product but I've noticed recently that the mini cartridges are sometimes out of stock,

Reactions: Boanerges91oh

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
tacky grease like the Lucas will work well as it sticks well and is water repelant. I used to use Caterpillar black moly grease because I worked in a CAT shop, right now my grease gun is loaded with Schaffer's because a buddy of mine bought me a tube after I did some work for him.
I'm honestly not super picky on type of grease. As long as it is rated for the application and comes from a reputable MFG I'll run it. The biggest thing is simply keeping up on the lube interval, and if you get into any water hitting the grease points as soon as is reasonable.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

As stated, it's really preference. Each grease does behave in its own way though. Project farm did a nice test setup that may be useful if you're curious.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Keep doing what your doing.

I think the green may be superior for us.