Rank V

Advocate I

San Diego
First Name
ross
Last Name
miller
Member #

As with lots of things in my life I don't plan much until the last moment. I'm planning on spending a few days running around Grand Staircase (and maybe the surrounding area?) and was wondering what is worth seeing and doing.

The rig:
The Beast is 2wd, but has plenty of clearance and has recovery gear short of a winch.

Wants:
We love hiking, so if there are any trails that aren't to be missed, I'd love to hear about them.

Route:
The Rough idea is the GS adv route with stops in various places including Alstrom Point. That said, it looks like horseshoe bend isn't far, nor is Bryce and Zion. So it may not be spent solely in GS.

I'm monitoring the road conditions (as much as one can from the internet) and intend to call a few days before I leave to get a more accurate report. But thus far it looks good, although wash boarded in some places.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I remember doing much of that many years ago in a Volkswagen Jetta so you should be fine. Hole in the Rock Rd has very long washboard stretches so the ability to air down your tires and then air back when you return would be nice to have.

1Truenorth

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midd.-tenn.
First Name
Wm
Last Name
Murray
Washboard roads for miles. Have Air with you so you can air down and smooth out the ride.
The little visitors center outside Escalante has great restrooms. There is dispersed camping for miles so stake out your little piece of desert.

spazegun2213

Rank V

Advocate I

San Diego
First Name
ross
Last Name
miller
Member #

Alright, we'll it looks like the trip has morphed a bit, since some roads are still impassable because of snow/ice.

Grovenor arch, Cottonwood narrows, Toadstool Hoodoos, and newly added is a stop in white Pocket Az. Then onto Alstrom point via horseshoe bend, and maybe a quick stop in Zion on our way back.