Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Ideas have been rolling through my head about Repurposing my Grandpa's old Military Footlocker into our Rig plans. I wanted to use it in a fashion that would honor and give me remembrance of him every time we are out wandering! He was my role model growing up, always went fishing together and camping. One thing that stood out to me was he was one hell of a cook! So what better way than to transform his old foot locker into a Chuck Box for our camp kitchen! So it began today since it's raining out. Don't pay attention to the dust, dirt and all the other flaws because I just drug all this stuff out of our converted tobacco barn to start this project! So the idea is to stand the "foot locker" up on it's side. Mounted and secured down to the floor in the back of our 2000 Xterra. When you open the rear cargo hatch it gives access to the "Lid" which will open downward.
81819873_1017499318602080_3381010461708255232_n.jpg

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to put it on sliders or just mount it yet....That's yet to be determined. So the first thing I did was to get rid of the hinge so the lid would open all the way level. Grinded off the rivets and attached chains on both sides. I can already foresee me using beefier chains but you get the idea.
80861303_2637400386487716_8758954470064259072_n.jpg
80461954_570943060119470_299435400366129152_n.jpg
82107120_474879406777348_83055905771356160_n.jpg
Next comes the back organizer section. All this is still up for discussion and nothing is in there permanent yet. It gives me an idea of what I'm working with and how I'm going to finish it up.
80643965_453358338682852_6710344190443651072_n.jpg81295142_2567978173315147_2443787428796825600_n.jpg

The lid that opens downward will have a "removable top" that will be secured....somehow. Haven't got that far yet. So when it's shut it holds propane cookstove and our utensils in place. When it's opened, the top will be taken out to access the cookstove and utensils then set back in place and used as a "counter top" to set the cook stove on...Kinda like the picture below but it will be a full size board that will sit down inside the lids lip. If that makes sense.
80596407_453904238634221_6597930757274992640_n.jpg

We also have a 1970's Coleman Cookstove that we will carry also in a separate case. It's too tall for this project but we will be taking it with us. Redundant maybe but I live by the having 2 means 1 rule. More progress pics to come as I continue to tweak this thing.

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

You have a very good concept going. I would look into your removable lid platform to be some kind of cutting board as well, just an idea.
I like that idea, but the cookstove takes up the entire top when the propane is attached. I took your idea and now trying to figure out a way to incoporate a cutting board on the side. Lol

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I like that cutting board. Trim it up, rerout the drainage lip, and add a “z” hinge attached to the bottom of the board and inside lip of the lid.

or something like this

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Alright guys, I've got it mounted or "mocked up" for now. Still running some thoughts on the anchor points. This is the general idea tho. The cutting board will be permanently mounted where it is now on a hinge that will raise up to access the cookstove underneath and utensils. It will lock in place before the "top" is completely shut and latch before travel. The cookstove will be outside the hatch to the left on a camp table (when it gets here). With the chuck box closed up it also gives me a lil xtra storage underneath. This gives me something to work with and I will build out the rest of the cargo area and probably gonna delete my rear seats.
81169931_610799543004038_4445994336290603008_n.jpg
81205191_517694302167645_4635164830813126656_n.jpg
80748137_493660424617319_4432755391658459136_n.jpg

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I like that cutting board. Trim it up, rerout the drainage lip, and add a “z” hinge attached to the bottom of the board and inside lip of the lid.

or something like this
After getting the chuck box in the Xterra that pretty much tossed the idea of having the cutting board on the side of the lid.

Reactions: M Rose

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Who knew that a footlocker would be the perfect size for a chuck box! I'm set on building one myself and liking how your design is coming together. Looking forward to see it mounted and in use.
Just posted some pictures up with it in the Xterra cargo area. Still brainstorming on the anchor points.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Alright guys, I've got it mounted or "mocked up" for now. Still running some thoughts on the anchor points. This is the general idea tho. The cutting board will be permanently mounted where it is now on a hinge that will raise up to access the cookstove underneath and utensils. It will lock in place before the "top" is completely shut and latch before travel. The cookstove will be outside the hatch to the left on a camp table (when it gets here). With the chuck box closed up it also gives me a lil xtra storage underneath. This gives me something to work with and I will build out the rest of the cargo area and probably gonna delete my rear seats.
View attachment 132899
View attachment 132900
View attachment 132901
That's an awesome re-purposing of your Gramp's footlocker. It's coming along really nicely.

I hope my kid and her kid find the same usefulness in my kitchen box, Zarges boxes and other gear I have. I purposely get items for my adventuring that I know will last and be in the same condition for decades to come so they can do just that, and that the items will have the wear and tear and stickers that tell stories of our adventures together.

stove-chuckbog-case_0646-900.jpg

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

That's an awesome re-purposing of your Gramp's footlocker. It's coming along really nicely.

I hope my kid and her kid find the same usefulness in my kitchen box, Zarges boxes and other gear I have. I purposely get items for my adventuring that I know will last and be in the same condition for decades to come so they can do just that, and that the items will have the wear and tear and stickers that tell stories of our adventures together.

View attachment 132903

Thanks! You have a nice setup for sure! I can't even begin to tell you how old the footlocker is. I'm gonna take a jab and say 75 yrs old. I've had it in my possession since he passed in 2001. I hope to pass it down to one of my grandkids.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Ideas have been rolling through my head about Repurposing my Grandpa's old Military Footlocker into our Rig plans. I wanted to use it in a fashion that would honor and give me remembrance of him every time we are out wandering! He was my role model growing up, always went fishing together and camping. One thing that stood out to me was he was one hell of a cook! So what better way than to transform his old foot locker into a Chuck Box for our camp kitchen! So it began today since it's raining out. Don't pay attention to the dust, dirt and all the other flaws because I just drug all this stuff out of our converted tobacco barn to start this project! So the idea is to stand the "foot locker" up on it's side. Mounted and secured down to the floor in the back of our 2000 Xterra. When you open the rear cargo hatch it gives access to the "Lid" which will open downward.
View attachment 132765

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to put it on sliders or just mount it yet....That's yet to be determined. So the first thing I did was to get rid of the hinge so the lid would open all the way level. Grinded off the rivets and attached chains on both sides. I can already foresee me using beefier chains but you get the idea.
View attachment 132766
View attachment 132767
View attachment 132768
Next comes the back organizer section. All this is still up for discussion and nothing is in there permanent yet. It gives me an idea of what I'm working with and how I'm going to finish it up.
View attachment 132769View attachment 132770

The lid that opens downward will have a "removable top" that will be secured....somehow. Haven't got that far yet. So when it's shut it holds propane cookstove and our utensils in place. When it's opened, the top will be taken out to access the cookstove and utensils then set back in place and used as a "counter top" to set the cook stove on...Kinda like the picture below but it will be a full size board that will sit down inside the lids lip. If that makes sense.
View attachment 132771

We also have a 1970's Coleman Cookstove that we will carry also in a separate case. It's too tall for this project but we will be taking it with us. Redundant maybe but I live by the having 2 means 1 rule. More progress pics to come as I continue to tweak this thing.
very cool. I'm a big fan of keeping family heirlooms, bravo !!

like the Xterra too

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
View attachment 132765

View attachment 132766
View attachment 132767
View attachment 132768
View attachment 132769View attachment 132770

View attachment 132771

What a great idea. I love trying to repurpose stuff and this is cool.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

View attachment 132903

Where did you get the general mechanics tool box? I didn’t know those made it to the civilian market. Did it come with the drawers?