bigbear09

Rank I

Contributor III

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
whitehead
Hello i'm not to computer savy and need some help on tablet requirements to run apps such as gaia or some tablet suggestions to buy for navagation and hiking trail maps. i would like to keep the size between 8-10" thank you

Reactions: tundra21
D

danbrown

I found an article that you might find helpful.

And a discussion forum.

Hope that helps.
-Dan

bigbear09

Rank I

Contributor III

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
whitehead
I found an article that you might find helpful.

And a discussion forum.

Hope that helps.
-Dan
thanks for the info .

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Any iPad with cell service (you don't have to sign up for it) The cellular ready iPads have a GPS chip

Any non-Cellular iPad and a Bluetooth GPS Puck ($50-$100)

Most Android Tablets include a GPS chip regardless of cellular data capability. CONFIRM with the manufacturer if not a common brand like Samsung.

My vote: (No it isn't cheap) Yes people will argue if iOS or Android is better. I have both and will continue to vote Apple. It is one vote. If you own any other Apple stuff I would stick with that. If not it is less critical but I still hate Android.

ipad-mini.jpeg

I have a 12.9 iPad Pro mounted on my Dash. It is silly big but it is also what I own. The new iPad mini with no bezels would be a better choice. I have a slightly older iPadn mini with the big bezels that I use with my drone but it will go bye-bye this year I think. The huge bezels are super annoying.

Last edited:

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
Any tablet with a cellular connection will work. Most manufactures have a WiFi and a Wifi+Cellular model. You want the Wifi+Cellular model. I will say that not all tablets are created equal. On trips most of the people in our group use different brands and we have noticed some have more lag that will cause a missed turn or have to stop for a second to pick back up. Not a big deal but it happens.

I use a 2019 Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8". I was going to buy a iPad mini but at the time of purchase I knew the iPad mini was going to be updated so I bought this to hold me over. I have since kept using it and not bought the updated iPad mini because it works. If I am leading a group I tend to rely more on my iPhone 12 Pro Max since it seems to be faster and I usually have both running anyway.

Also I would note that I am using Gaia. I have since upgraded to OB1 and haven't got to really test that out on my Samsung yet so I will see how that does.

Reactions: Downs

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
iPad with GPS ( must be cellular NOT wifi only!) Works well plus you can use the hotspot to connect to your phone and get access to all your apps and stuff.
I use the phone and the iPad together, super helpful - plus I am old so the form factor on the iPad helps me to actually see where I am going!:sunglasses:
3471E542-9CFC-4FD9-8556-EC6254797741.jpeg

Reactions: Coreymol

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

iPad with GPS ( must be cellular NOT wifi only!) Works well plus you can use the hotspot to connect to your phone and get access to all your apps and stuff.
I use the phone and the iPad together, super helpful - plus I am old so the form factor on the iPad helps me to actually see where I am going!:sunglasses:
View attachment 223133
Damn! That’s what I got and I never thought it’d stay on the dash!! What mount is that?

Last edited:

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Damn! That’s what I got and I never thought it’d stay on the dash!! What mount is that?
I have the expedition essentials ( for the 4Runner) accessory mount with the BIG ball for the iPad ( 2 inches ) and the holder is a cradle design. The iPad is 11 inches I think and it holds it tight, have had zero problems and bounced it around pretty good. It’s nice to have the iPhone and the iPad side by side… makes it fiddly to get to radio buttons but I don’t really use it anyways (CarPlay).

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I have the expedition essentials ( for the 4Runner) accessory mount with the BIG ball for the iPad ( 2 inches ) and the holder is a cradle design. The iPad is 11 inches I think and it holds it tight, have had zero problems and bounced it around pretty good. It’s nice to have the iPhone and the iPad side by side… makes it fiddly to get to radio buttons but I don’t really use it anyways (CarPlay).
Great info!! Thank you very much. I have to look into that mount for sure!! Mucho mahalos!!!

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
Another vote for the iPad mini w/cellular (GPS). I think it is a perfect size. The only downside is Apple's silly inability to expand memory with SD cards so buy one with lots of memory.