Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
I've noticed that most (if not all) of the meetup locations for the Rally Points are listed using the Decimal Degrees (DD) format. Is there a reason for that? What format do most of you generally use? Looking for opinions. Just curious to see what everyone uses.

I am just curious if the DD method is generally accepted in the overland community just through osmosis or if there's been somewhat of an official edict declared by some sort of Bud Light King who said, "By royal decree, and in order to unite all of the people throughout the land; all terrestrial explorers in the Kingdom of Overlandia shall henceforth use decimal minutes. Dilly Dilly!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Pindal

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
It is far easier to copy and paste DD points into your favorite mapping software vs. DMS. Yeah, you can convert DMS to DD, but there is less risk of a mathematical error when trying to rally a group.

For software/GPS use I always use decimal since it is easier to input the data. That said, it is important to know how to read DMS and a map.

Reactions: 1Louder

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
I assumed as much. I have a background in aviation which uses DMS as the industry standard. In a former life while in the military I used the MGR /GZD method. Growing up on a farm when GPS didn't exist we just used the "over yonder past the next bend" method so I've got them all covered.