Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

GPS noob here...

I have a '23 4Runner, which itself has GPS connectivity, I think, but how do you get constant GPS connectivity to your mapping app like Gaia or OB1? Mine seems to only currently have it when I have cell service.

Thanks!

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

As I understand it, not all “gps” units are really gps. Some are cell based. The traditional handheld Garmin type units are gps satellite based and carry their map data onboard unlike my phone which has to have map data pre saved for times without cell coverage.
Some phones and tablets have gps receivers yet still rely on cell coverage for map data unless you save map data for offline use.

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

I can do all that but I'm curious about how y'all get full-time GPS connectivity for your mapping apps. I've seen some posts around here that imply it's a thing...

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I use a Garnin GLO ll that connects to my Phone and Ipad loaded with GAIA by Bluetooth. I had to take the phone to T-Mobile to turn off th cell based locating and link it to the Garmin, it took them a while but they finally figured it out. So if know if I am going to be out of cell svc I will pre download the maps that I wil need but always link to the GarminB0A0EC60-D833-4F9B-A1AB-B8C14E494061.jpeg

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

Does Dual or Garmin require a subscription? Or is the service a one-time purchase with the unit? I don't see any mention of subscription fees but don't want to assume...

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Couple of questions.

Are you trying to utilize GAIA GPS app on your phone or on the vehicle? If it is on the vehicle screen is it a stand alone app or mirrored from your phone via carplay or android auto?

GPS locators like the GPS pucks mentioned earlier are usually not subscription based. They utilized the gps signal from the gps satellite that is broadcasted freely to triangulate your position. The more satellite's your system can "see" the greater the accuracy to a point.

Programs like GAIA GPS, ON X and other other utilize the GPS signal for free. Usually what is a Subscription fee is access to different types of maps and other data services. Garmin has some GPS devices that have subscription services to utilize Satellite communications. The GPS parts of the devices work perfectly fine if you are not utilizing the data.

Note GPS service only provides your location. Data like maps and the like have to be downloaded on your electronic device either before you lose data service or as you use it if you access.

When I started using GPS in the military in the late 90s we just utilized it to find our location then put found our coords on the paper map. This was prior to the "unfuzzing" of the gps for civilian use.

Most modern phones have a gps chip as part of their modem chipset. The GPS signal will work faster when there is a tower in the area because the phones can utilize the tower locations and the phones direction to the tower to help shorten the time it takes to get a position.

You can use a GPS utility app to see your lat and long utilizing your phone without a mapping app.

Hope that helps a bit.

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

Hope that helps a bit.
That helps a ton. Thank you!

Yes to utilizing a mapping app on my phone/tablet. It would only be displayed on my car screen via CarPlay. Sounds like getting a puck is what I'm looking for. Thank you!

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
That helps a ton. Thank you!

Yes to utilizing a mapping app on my phone/tablet. It would only be displayed on my car screen via CarPlay. Sounds like getting a puck is what I'm looking for. Thank you!
If you are using a Phone or a Tablet that has a cellular chip you don't need a puck. The phone has a gps chip in the modem circuitry. GPS Puck would be used for backup or if you have a tablet that doesn't have a cellular chip.

Often you will see the GPS on phones called A-GPS. That means the location detection is assisted by the cell towers for a faster fix but they are not needed. I have an old iPad 2 with a 3G chip that gets perfectly fine GPS signal in the North Maine Woods 100s of miles from a Cell tower.

Just remember the Map data will need to be downloaded prior to losing cell service. Depending on the area you select to download or map layers selected to download the data size might be significant.

DangitDad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

If you are using a Phone or a Tablet that has a cellular chip you don't need a puck. The phone has a gps chip in the modem circuitry. GPS Puck would be used for backup or if you have a tablet that doesn't have a cellular chip.

Often you will see the GPS on phones called A-GPS. That means the location detection is assisted by the cell towers for a faster fix but they are not needed. I have an old iPad 2 with a 3G chip that gets perfectly fine GPS signal in the North Maine Woods 100s of miles from a Cell tower.

Just remember the Map data will need to be downloaded prior to losing cell service. Depending on the area you select to download or map layers selected to download the data size might be significant.
So I was using a downloaded OnX map in the CO mountains, very intermittent cell service, and it seemed like it would only update my location when the infrequent cell connection happened. And more often than not, it was way off of my actual location. What am I missing? On an iPhone 13 Pro.

Thank you for the help

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
So I was using a downloaded OnX map in the CO mountains, very intermittent cell service, and it seemed like it would only update my location when the infrequent cell connection happened. And more often than not, it was way off of my actual location. What am I missing? On an iPhone 13 Pro.

Thank you for the help
I am not familiar with the iphone I have been on the Android platform since the iPhone 3G. BUT honestly it sounds more like a map issue not a GPS issue.

I would suggest finding a GPS utility app from the App store. They will give you more in formation about how many satellites you are connecting to, how visible the satellites are. Next time you have an issue like that utilize the app to ensure you have good reception. Depending on terrain and where you place your phone you can have GPS issues. Box Canyons, Heavy Tree growth, being in a draw or ravine between high peaks. All of these can affect reception of satellite info.

Edit: Maybe check GPS location services and ensure that you have allowed OnX to utilize the GPS everytime you open the software and let it run in the background.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Does Dual or Garmin require a subscription? Or is the service a one-time purchase with the unit? I don't see any mention of subscription fees but don't want to assume...
There is no charge for GPS data. The Dual receiver just relays the data to whatever map system you decide on. There may be a charge for the map system to organize, show you that you are lost. LOL
Zim