GPS App's - What do you recommend?

• HTML tutorial

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I'm looking into buying a Tablet so I can use the off line Topo's / Street Maps on my Trips. Does anybody have any recommendations for a Android App? I tried some of the free apps on the Play Store but I didn't find anything I liked. I don't mind paying for a good app, as long as its worth it.

Thank you.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Maprika is a good app. It works without cellular coverage. It just requires a little planning to download your maps ahead of time.

And, it's free!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I use Gaia GPS on my iPad but I'm pretty sure they have an Android option. Works well, easy interface, not free but worth it.

Reactions: tom

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Thanks @jdunk and @el_solis . I just checked out both Apps and they look a lot better then the ones I found. Right now I'm trying out Polaris Navigation. So far it seems pretty good but I haven't had time to do any field testing yet. It's a free app and they also have a paid app.

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
Big difference in terms of usability, configuration etc...between free and paid apps... I'm usually hesitant to pay but found the Gaia well.worth it. Both trip planning and on trail use. Give'em a look. Best, Tom

Reactions: Mike G

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

@WUzombies, I have an old Garmin NUVI that I bought 12 years ago and it's great and it still works but its no longer support. Garmin would be the best option with an iPad mini IMO. What are you using to mount your iPad in your rig?

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

image.jpg
@WUzombies, I have an old Garmin NUVI that I bought 12 years ago and it's great and it still works but its no longer support. Garmin would be the best option with an iPad mini IMO. What are you using to mount your iPad in your rig?
Ram x-mount on the dash, that way the BadElf dongle can see the sky. The mount is attached with gorilla glue and screws into the foam instead of taking the whole dang dash apart. I've had it there for a year without a problem (it'll probably fall off now)

The dongle has a usb pass through for charging and I have the hard mounted usb charging station in the console so it works like a champ.

Reactions: jebtex and Mike G

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I use maps lol

Like... stop at the state line buy a map and unfold it... map

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Maps are great, but can you zoom in and out of a paper map? :tonguewink: Before we had portable GPS units and smart phones, I used maps all the time. At one point I had my glove box full of maps and no gloves :grinning:. I starting calling my glove box the Map Box. I still have one good map in my rig, just in case my phone craps out.

Last edited:

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I've tried numerous apps, many simultaneously, and some are better than others. However, we never, ever, without fail head off-road for any period of time without hard copies.

One well-placed EMP and you're all going to be driving in circles!

Enthusiast II

Colombia, South America
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Varon
Ham/GMRS Callsign
HJ3JVP
I use soviet military maps app that let me download alot on maps. Its well use by overlanders that pass by my country in there world tour trips
and an app call Ioverlander that show all the spots for camping or mechanic or hostal etc etc. its feed by everybody so its very uptodate

Last edited:

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I've tried numerous apps, many simultaneously, and some are better than others. However, we never, ever, without fail head off-road for any period of time without hard copies.

One well-placed EMP and you're all going to be driving in circles!
You'll be walking in circles unless your rig is old enough to run on points...

There may or may not be a novel series featuring some overlanding rigs come bug out vehicles about such a topic (and zombies)...:kissing:

Reactions: RootedWanderers

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Good point! I'm not there yet, but old Harleys overland well!

Actually, I could haul a couple of old Honda CB's and still have room for the mutt!
Old motorcycles may or may have been used in a novel series...:kissing:

Ok, joking aside, EMP rig survival might be an interesting side topic. Especially even if not traditional Preppers I think overlander types would tent to get to the woods if something long term happened.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I've had good luck with Gaia... Coupled with google earth recon!

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Maps are great, but can you zoom in and out of a paper map? :tonguewink: Before we had portable GPS units and smart phones, I used maps all the time. At one point I had my glove box full of maps and no gloves :grinning:. I starting calling my glove box the Map Box. I still have one good map in my rig, just in case my phone craps out.
I doit because i like the challenge it presents.... but... i have google maps too haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: kickkem and Mike G