Good recovery safety video - don't die recovering a bogged rig!

• HTML tutorial

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Sad story with a good post accident analysis. This is something we should all be aware of and follow.
What are your thoughts? Is the analysis good? Everything seems fair dinkum to me ;)

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I have not watched the attached video, but I am familiar with the event.

Heavily bogged, lifted full size 4x4 pick up that they attempted to rececover with a similar vehicle using a severely dropped (10" or so) receiver ball mount. Due to forces imparted during the attempted recovery the principal tube of the hitch failed and was torn away becoming a fatal projectile.

I have personally seen a similar failure only with a bed mounted gooseneck ball being the failure point and without subsequent death.

I'm not going to argue the viability of a properly mounted receiver hitch as the foundational recovery point, but I will say that nothing designed and engineered specifically for towing is acceptable as a recovery point, and the habit of using a cross pin only with a strap isn't much better.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
My main takeaway was "don't do kinetic recoveries with a non-kinetic strap, etc." (not that I do that) - which is what happened in the case discussed in the video. He also talks about how a recovery should escalate; try the controlled/simple things first and escalate to the least controlled methods if needed. I thought it was a good watch.