Good jumper box/air compressor?

• HTML tutorial

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Not sure if this is specifically "overlanding" gear, but I'm going to use it for that purpose.

I'm looking for a good battery jumper box (booster box, whatever one calls them) that also has a built in air compressor and some charging ports to charge phones and whatnot.

I want to keep this in the back of my vehicle for camping trips - I'd use it as a source of power to charge phones, lights, etc. The jumper part would be handy to have "just in case", as well as the air compressor, which I could perhaps use to fill air mattresses, bike tires, and my car tires, if necessary.

I see a lot of these out there, in a wide price range. Just wondering what everyone here has had good experiences with.

Thanks!

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
I’m looking for the exact same setup. Hopefully others can weigh in.
I ended up buying one finally, I picked it up last week. I ended up just getting one from Harbor Freight for $69.99. It had a lot of good reviews, and with a 20% off coupon it ended up costing 55 bucks.

It's the Centech brand 4 in 1 (I believe), and meets all the requirements I had originally posted, plus it has a built in light. I haven't used it yet, so I can't vouch for it, but the reviews on HF were positive enough, I think it was a 4 or 4.5 star review overall.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Looking forward to an honest review... after you get a chance to use it.

Will do. Main reason I bought it now is that my Firebird is sitting in front of my house with a dead battery, and I'm just over trying to reposition my Volvo and mess with jumper cables to jump it. The Volvo battery is under the rear cargo floor, so the underhood jump points are a PITA.

I just need to charge the box up first, I'll get to it this week.

Willp_07

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, Ca
First Name
Will
Last Name
P
Member #

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Well, I've used it a few times, or at least the air compressor. Haven't had a chance to jump a car with it yet. Was going to do my Firebird, but I had neglected to charge the box and then needed to move the car ASAP, so I had to whip out the jumper cables and the Volvo to the rescue. (It's an '07 with the original battery!!).

Once fully charged overnight, the compressor took a minute and a half to fill a 215/60/17 (27" tall) from 35-40psi. So, this definitely isn't for airing up on the trail.

Also, I'm not sure how accurate the gauge on the air compressor is, the other day my GF needed air in her car, and according to the compressor's gauge I filled from 28 to 35 psi. When she left later on, the low tire light was still on, and showing 31psi.

I guess the air compressor is good to have in a pinch, but honestly I kind of wish I had bought the model without it, as it's physically a good bit smaller. The compressor adds a big hump to the back of the unit and probably 3.5" in thickness.

I keep a high volume bicycle pump in my car that's made for "fat bikes", and I can actually air up faster with that, though obviously it's a bit of a workout, haha.

When I get a chance I'm going to check it's readings vs. a tire gauge, and I may see how long it takes to fill one of my tires from 20-40psi, just for kicks and giggles.

I'm also going to try out the power ports, to see what kind of stuff I can run with them and for how long. I'll update accordingly.