Traveler I

5069 Juiata Drive, Birmingham, Alabama 35210, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

I'm Drew from Birmingham Alabama.
I'm new to overlanding. I was always into biking, climbing, scuba, spelunking, camping, and hiking. Last year that came to an end when I almost passed from cancer. Cancer had riddled my body and chewed into one of my legs. So now I walk like a weeble wobble, that will fall down. ;) So my response to this has been to build my truck (2020 Ram 1500) to get me back out into the nature I love and build memories with my 12 year old daughter. I want to pass what I know to her before I move on. I'm mainly here to learn from people that know more then I. Also find good places to go.
I'm a costume builder by trade so I'm fairly handy. I've done most of this build myself and have a lot more I would like to do. So with the membership I get to use the map? Is the map for trails? Are they mainly out west? I've noticed its slim pickings in my neck of the woods. I dont mind paying for membership I just don't know what the membership is all about. Sorry to sound dumb but I stumbled across the app after watching overland bound on YouTube this morning. FB_IMG_1603085397619.jpg20201021_152439.jpgFB_IMG_1600283852983.jpg20200911_173831.jpg20200912_085957.jpg

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Drew, welcome to Overland Bound. Super nice job on building your rig out. Really great to see you getting out and enjoying life with your Daughter after all you have been through. The OB1 app is a work in progress, the team at Overland Bound is doing a great job with development, navigation and mapping is in the works, the maps on the app currently let you see where other members are from, places to get mechanical work done, camping etc. There are at least a couple of threads on here that go into greater detail, and Michael has some good you tubes on the channel. Lots of great people in the group and on these forums, someone will usually be able to provide help or advice on pretty much anything you might need. I am sure there are at least a few members local to you also. I wish you good luck and lots of fun on your adventuress.

Reactions: Anubias76

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'm new to overlanding. I was always into biking, climbing, scuba, spelunking, camping, and hiking. Last year that came to an end when I almost passed from cancer. Cancer had riddled my body and chewed into one of my legs. So now I walk like a weeble wobble, that will fall down. ;) So my response to this has been to build my truck (2020 Ram 1500) to get me back out into the nature I love and build memories with my 12 year old daughter. I want to pass what I know to her before I move on. I'm mainly here to learn from people that know more then I. Also find good places to go.
I'm a costume builder by trade so I'm fairly handy. I've done most of this build myself and have a lot more I would like to do. So with the membership I get to use the map? Is the map for trails? Are they mainly out west? I've noticed its slim pickings in my neck of the woods. I dont mind paying for membership I just don't know what the membership is all about. Sorry to sound dumb but I stumbled across the app after watching overland bound on YouTube this morning. View attachment 175302View attachment 175303View attachment 175304View attachment 175305View attachment 175306
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @rrjones2u & @Cwilli17
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Reactions: SilverRebel

Flippo

Rank I

Traveler I

Birmingham, Al
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Flippo
Member #

I'm a costume builder by trade so I'm fairly handy. I've done most of this build myself and have a lot more I would like to do. So with the membership I get to use the map? Is the map for trails? Are they mainly out west? I've noticed its slim pickings in my neck of the woods. I dont mind paying for membership I just don't know what the membership is all about. Sorry to sound dumb but I stumbled across the app after watching overland bound on YouTube this morning. View attachment 175302View attachment 175303View attachment 175304View attachment 175305View attachment 175306
Nice looking truck and good to hear you came out on top of cancer, even though it took it’s tolls. I’m from Birmingham as well and wanting to find some places to go. I also drive a Ram. Mine is the 2019 Ram 1500 Classic.

Attachments

Reactions: Anubias76

Anubias76

Rank I

Traveler I

5069 Juiata Drive, Birmingham, Alabama 35210, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

600-1 and 600-2 is a popular place to start in the Birmingham area. They are in the talladega national forest. They are easy and most people joke about people getting stuck but the views are nice. There is also some nice spots to camp. I've only run the 600-1 route. It's about 14 miles long. The south end of the trail is the rough section for about 1 mile. Noting bad a few ruts, puddles, and bumps.
A few apps that may help you in finding places to check out is Gaia GPS, OnX offroad, and Magellan trx. They are helping me alot since im new to this. If you want to buddy up sometime and explore let me know. My wife and I mainly enjoy just seeing the sights and taking pictures. We hit 600-1 last weekend and got some cool photos but the fog/clouds was crazy thick.
Flippo a last name? Used to have some friends with that last name.

Last edited:

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Welcome, Nice to see another full size RAM here.