Good base for overland trailer?

• HTML tutorial

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

This trailer is being advertised as a Motorcycle trailer, but I see potential as an Overland Trailer.

Looking for some thoughts from others if it would be a good base or if my plans / expectations would suggest that I would be better off to keep looking. I like the size of it. Not to big, not too wide. I like that it has a lifting lid and looks well constructed. I don't have the manufacturer name or model info. ###Update - appears to be a Mini Nomad - https://minitrailerusa.com/nomad-trailer.htm

What I would like to do is add an exterior frame for a Rooftop Tent leaving enough room for the lid to open a good amount.

I would want to have matching wheels from my Jeep on the trailer. I am running Rubicon factory takeoffs, 5x5 wheel pattern and a 255/75/17 (32") tire. I assume I could do an axle flip and add blocks if needed.

###Update - I believe I found the manufacturers specs online, suspension is listed as

- Independent Torsion axles 600 lb

I am not sure I would have options to lift as needed or if this would be enough for the load I am wanting.​

That would be the immediate plans. Eventually I would want to add a deep cycle battery and solar setup. I would want a water tank of 15 gallons or more and I would consider having the rear converted into a tailgate.

Thoughts on this as a base of an Overland Trailer build?

Thanks

01313_k30iIJ2A7lE_600x450[1].jpg
00I0I_lxwlAHuwWDd_600x450[1].jpg
00W0W_ky13OMmOaFe_600x450[1].jpg

Last edited:

Neight

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

El Cajon, CA
Member #

The wheel width is narrower than I’d want to be, I’ve always agreed with those that say you want your trailers wheels in the same tracks as your towing vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

I just bought one of these at christmas time. Got a big discount, too, because it had a cracked tail light lens.
Starting out for around $329 ain't bad.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-Trailer-3-5-ft-x-5-ft-Wire-Mesh-Utility-Trailer/3680952

I'll post pics later once I start the mods. Taking it to a fabricator to have the tongue switched out for a longer one and swap to a 2 inch coupler. From there I'll flip the axle and add new wheels/tires.

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
Too narrow. Take it off road and you'll be forever flipping it back on its wheels.