Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

Here is a little video I shot on my recent trip to Gold Lake in the Tahoe National Forest. This shows the whole OHV route you need to take to get to the camping area. The video does no justice how technical parts of the trail were. I am still trying to figure out the best vantage point to take these kinds of videos in the future.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I dunno, that shows a pretty challenging trail. As a point of reference, in your subaru of a 10 point scale, 10 being the maximum trail you'd take with your

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

Oops, premature send. Is this close to a 10? @FozRoamer? I gotta go there BTW.
No I have done MUCH harder trails in Death Valley area. This is for sure technical but its all about being smart, slow, and choosing your lines. The direction I went is actually FROM the camping area on my way out. Going the other way the trail continues past the camping area and gets even more hairy. I went there to camp not to offroad really so I didn't get the chance to go further down. My Subaru is heavily modded but I have heard a few other stock Subarus have actually made it. Scratching my head how that is possible because some area do require a substantial about of ground clearance. If people can make it past the first part of this trail coming in then they won;t have a problem doing it. The first section is kinda hairy.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

squirrel_cage

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nice vid! That must have been early in the season. We were up there 2 weeks ago and it is dry as a bone. There was a 2 day old Subaru Outback that had come into camp from Sardine lake, and they decided they weren't going back the way they came! They must've made it, cause there was no sign of them the next day when we headed out.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Wow! You did that in a Subaru!!?!?! Dang!

I'd like to see that.

As for camera angles, I use a number of GoPro angles in my videos. I like to keep switching it. Off to one side of the windshield is good. But You need a solid mount for fast washboard roads, for crawling a suction mount like this is good because the shaking is slower. If you go too fast it goes nuts. Best for that is yo use a stickymount and a no extension arm.

I use an aluminum GoPro handlebar mount on the Yakima Rack. That is solid and is a decent angle. Tried a sticky mount on my Yakima Box, but that is not great angle and the box bounces too much. Suction cup on the fender is cool for crawling. Suction cup on the inside windshield is cool for getting a shot of you driving as well.

Where are you based? I'd like to see that thing in action. I'm in Reno. Pretty close to Gold Lake.

-M

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

Wow! You did that in a Subaru!!?!?! Dang!

I'd like to see that.

As for camera angles, I use a number of GoPro angles in my videos. I like to keep switching it. Off to one side of the windshield is good. But You need a solid mount for fast washboard roads, for crawling a suction mount like this is good because the shaking is slower. If you go too fast it goes nuts. Best for that is yo use a stickymount and a no extension arm.

I use an aluminum GoPro handlebar mount on the Yakima Rack. That is solid and is a decent angle. Tried a sticky mount on my Yakima Box, but that is not great angle and the box bounces too much. Suction cup on the fender is cool for crawling. Suction cup on the inside windshield is cool for getting a shot of you driving as well.

Where are you based? I'd like to see that thing in action. I'm in Reno. Pretty close to Gold Lake.

-M
Thanks for all the feedback. Ill just ignore that Subaru comment..hahaha ;) I am based in Socal but will be soon relocating to Norcal. I have a pretty good GoPro suction mount that I use I just need to try some different angles.

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

View attachment 6523

Really good stuff @FozRoamer. I'm a lot jealous of all the trails you left coasters continue to share.
I am used to it until people see my Subaru in person they usually zip it pretty quick..hahaha I do wish that I had a low range sometimes. Good news I am working on getting an ARB locker system to work with my setup..Might be some time for this to happen but its looking possible! I am kinda apprehensive to share these spots at times as I want them to be off the radar a bit but at the same time I like sharing my journeys with you guys..