Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Hi all,

I'm new here but thought I'd throw this out there: we drove Gold Camp Road and Old Stage Road from Cripple Creek/Victor to Colorado Springs this afternoon. Gold Camp Road from West to East is fine and a fun drive; it's just snow covered and a little slick in spots. HOWEVER, Old Stage Road from Gold Camp down into the Broadmoor is absolutely treacherous with very icy spots on the steepest sections. I would not recommend travelling this at all right now, unless you're very comfortable with chains because you aren't getting uphill in spots around the Broadmoor Stables without them and they are almost a necessity for safe going downhill. Ask me how I know... :fearful:

Enjoy!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Six of us did it last weekend and there wasn't much to it. Although we heard others had trouble earlier in the day.

We then went down the Shelf road, ran some trails and camped. Ran more new trails the next day. Wish you had been with us!

Reactions: M Rose

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Six of us did it last weekend and there wasn't much to it. Although we heard others had trouble earlier in the day.

We then went down the Shelf road, ran some trails and camped. Ran more new trails the next day. Wish you had been with us!
Yeah, I saw the posts and pics from the run and thought it would have been fun. This time, however, it was white knuckle driving (and I live in South Park and have to drive the roads here all winter!)

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Have you had new precip? Were you aired down?

BTW, Welcome! Several of us on the Front Range chat a lot on Telegram if you're interested.

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Have you had new precip? Were you aired down?

BTW, Welcome! Several of us on the Front Range chat a lot on Telegram if you're interested.
There was a dusting of snow on top of the ice, so basically ball bearings for traction. I wasn't aired down; it was "supposed" to be a quick run from Cripple Creek into the Springs!

Thanks for the welcome!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

I hate going down Shelf... up it isn’t so bad... but then last time I was on it was in a 1952 Bluebird.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

I hate going down Shelf... up it isn’t so bad... but then last time I was on it was in a 1952 Bluebird.
I've always enjoyed it, but never seen it with much snow on it. It looked like it had been plowed this last trip.