Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
Hello All,

I am looking to make a GOBI Rack purchase and was looking at the GOBI rack for my Toyota 4Runner.

There are two different versions

TOYOTA 4RUNNER 5th GEN STEALTH RACK & TOYOTA 4RUNNER 5th GEN RANGER RACK
The only differences that I can tell is the height of the Rack.

I would probably get more use hauling 2x4 eight footers that I would hauling camp gear this year due to the padamec.

Those of you that have this brand on your Rig, please share some feedback?

I will not be hosting a roof tent, just stuff like camping gear and such.
I am very set on this brand because of my research on this Brand.

Can any one share their experiences or feedback with the difference between the two different models of GOBI brands?

Thanks for taking the time in reading this request,

Last edited:

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

Hey Camilo,
I had my mind set on the Gobi for the nostalgic safari look and I was in your shoes about 4 months ago as well. After long and hard debating either the stealth or the ranger, I went with the ranger after justifying the type of use I will be doing. The extra height of the walls will allow me to have more of a piece of mind when loading gears and as mentioned, the safari look was what I was going for and the ranger had more of that look-but that is a personal preference. With all the pros and cons of each design, both are equal in their purpose and you cant go wrong with either designs.....just a matter of personal preference (mine just happened to be those 2 I mentioned above). Good luck with your decision. I am happy with mine.

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
Hey Camilo,
I had my mind set on the Gobi for the nostalgic safari look and I was in your shoes about 4 months ago as well. After long and hard debating either the stealth or the ranger, I went with the ranger after justifying the type of use I will be doing. The extra height of the walls will allow me to have more of a piece of mind when loading gears and as mentioned, the safari look was what I was going for and the ranger had more of that look-but that is a personal preference. With all the pros and cons of each design, both are equal in their purpose and you cant go wrong with either designs.....just a matter of personal preference (mine just happened to be those 2 I mentioned above). Good luck with your decision. I am happy with mine.
Hay Thanks for you reply Rids93, thank you for this Valued Feedback , most indeed.

Now me get in a few more questions.

My 2019 Sr5 is ok on miles for now.

How much did this rack slow you down in MPG?
Does this Rack make a lot of noise on the Highway?

Thanks again!

Reactions: coffenut

ytbird

Rank II

Traveler III

Porthill
First Name
Edwin
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7ELM
Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Hello All,

I am looking to make a GOBI Rack purchase and was looking at the GOBI rack for my Toyota 4Runner.

There are two different versions

TOYOTA 4RUNNER 5th GEN STEALTH RACK & TOYOTA 4RUNNER 5th GEN RANGER RACK
The only differences that I can tell is the height of the Rack.

I would probably get more use hauling 2x4 eight footers that I would hauling camp gear this year due to the padamec.

Those of you that have this brand on your Rig, please share some feedback?

I will not be hosting a roof tent, just stuff like camping gear and such.
I am very set on this brand because of my research on this Brand.

Can any one share their experiences or feedback with the difference between the two different models of GOBI brands?

Thanks for taking the time in reading this request,

Always,
Camilo
Camilo,
I am waiting on the Ranger to be built as we speak. A neighbor to the north has the ranger on his 73 Land Cruiser, and I was sold on it immediately. Another difference between the two appeared to be the lighting on the front section. If you are not in a hurry, I will let you know what I think of the install. There is a 16 week build time. Mine will be another 12 weeks or so. As for the pandemic, I cannot speak to it, I have had the busiest year I have had in ten yrs. No CV here.

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
I called GOBI and they told me that they only had 5 Welders employed and this is why it take so long. I am not sure on the model, but I am gearing towards the stealth. . . . The Ranger would seem to make more noise I guess.

No matter what you hauling, you would need to tie them down so I am not worry about anything falling off.

I would look at the Multi light rack system because I have seen some really great rigs on YouTube and love the possibilities most indeed.

I am in no Hurry because most of the places that I want to get into were already closed so we lost reservations in June and August.

So by the time I get this Rack setup and dialed in, I am thinking there should be some great camp sites up and ready . . . .

Thanks for your Feed Back ytbird!!!

I would love to hear back from you once your rig is set up and would be pumped to hear how your ranger worked out for you !!!

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

Hay Thanks for you reply Rids93, thank you for this Valued Feedback , most indeed.

Now me get in a few more questions.

My 2019 Sr5 is ok on miles for now.

How much did this rack slow you down in MPG?
Does this Rack make a lot of noise on the Highway?

Thanks again!
I will update on this thread once I receive it sometime in mid Aug. As for the wind noise: can't be any more noisier than with my cheap Amazon Rack that it has on right now so noise will not be an issue with me.
Im getting 12mpg with family of 4, a dog and a trailer loaded up on Hwy and maybe 13 solo with down wind....gas/mpg is not an issue with me only more filling up 20200608_175609.jpg between travels and I knew what horrible mpg I will be getting when purchasing this vehicle.

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
My Previous vehicle was the 2007 Jeep Commander and it was a beast. I loved it so!
I was not thinking with my pocketbook when I bought it, no sir.
After the test drive, that was all she wrote and I knew then it was mines.

Then in 2017 after 150,00 miles (mostly highway) she was showing serious wear & tear and it was not cheep for me to keep it running after replacing the Transmission (Driving like I stole it), Breaks, 2 sets of Tires since I drove it off the lot, Alternator, Battery & Timing belt (Don't ask me, I just went with what the dealer mechanic told me to fix).

I am loving my new 4Runner and in a couple of years will be looking at lifts and such.

I think that it's just great how these Toyota's keep running (Knock on Wood)!

I like your Rig, you can haul some nice gear with that puppy!
I am not rolling with a large crew, just me and the Wife and we are so lucky to have the same interests such as camping & hiking.

This 4Runner is still green with the beginner mods like the step boards, LED lights all the way around & window tint. . . just newbie stuff. . .
It's pretty much stock . . .

I am loving the trips and such . . .20190411_170155.jpg

Heck Yea, come on back with the scoop once you get it dialed in Rids93 & Thanks for sharing that sweet trailer!

Reactions: coffenut

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
Thanks for posting Leveler, these look nice Please post some photos!
The Rack project was pushed out a year because I am working on the 3 inch Lift Kit.
Kings, Icons, IronMan & Bilstein 5100 Shocks & Old Man Emu Springs

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

My Previous vehicle was the 2007 Jeep Commander and it was a beast. I loved it so!
I was not thinking with my pocketbook when I bought it, no sir.
After the test drive, that was all she wrote and I knew then it was mines.

Then in 2017 after 150,00 miles (mostly highway) she was showing serious wear & tear and it was not cheep for me to keep it running after replacing the Transmission (Driving like I stole it), Breaks, 2 sets of Tires since I drove it off the lot, Alternator, Battery & Timing belt (Don't ask me, I just went with what the dealer mechanic told me to fix).

I am loving my new 4Runner and in a couple of years will be looking at lifts and such.

I think that it's just great how these Toyota's keep running (Knock on Wood)!

I like your Rig, you can haul some nice gear with that puppy!
I am not rolling with a large crew, just me and the Wife and we are so lucky to have the same interests such as camping & hiking.

This 4Runner is still green with the beginner mods like the step boards, LED lights all the way around & window tint. . . just newbie stuff. . .
It's pretty much stock . . .

I am loving the trips and such . . .View attachment 160951

Heck Yea, come on back with the scoop once you get it dialed in Rids93 & Thanks for sharing that sweet trailer!
Hey as promised. I will update when my Gobi Ranger arrives-should be this week. Waited since April and im super excited.
But in the mean time I just purchased this awesome universal bed rack from Hot Metal Fabrication. Awesome folks to deal With. Got it shipped and delivered within 3 days and they make them per order from scratch.
Compared to my previous bed rack, this new one is 15" in height compared to 28" and very sturdy and solid compared to Yakima outdoorsman 300.

Oh by the way. Just installed the White Knuckles rock sliders!20200812_185147.jpg20200812_185157.jpg20200815_192052.jpg20200815_191959_HDR.jpg

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

Finally a shipping update from Gobi will be emailed after the labor day after 19 weeks of waiting. The frustrating part of the process is not being able to get an update from Gobi 15th week into the build. Left many messages with no returned calls. Was Super annoying but I'm hoping to get it next week (the 20th week). Just wish their customer service was better with me.

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
I have chosen the
TOYOTA 4RUNNER 5th GEN
STEALTH RACK
· Lightbar Setup
· NO SUNROOF

Can anyone recommend a good light bar?
I was happy to commit to the Rack.

They threw in the Gash Shocks, 2 sliding bars and the Ladder.

Reactions: Rids93

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

Gobi Stealth looks good on 4runners and I hope your customer service experience will be better than mine.
If you are on a budget, Nilight light bars could be had pretty cheap on Amazon and cheap enough to replace it they do fail. I have their fog lights on my XJ and the Fzj80 and no issues.20200906_192124.jpg

Last edited:

Contributor I

Amissville, VA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
Stenholm
Member #

Hijacking the thread to shamelessly plug. I have a stealth for sale that came off my 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road. Few scratches from my RTT. I'm in Northern VA. Let me know if any of you are interested. It's available now since I sold my 4runner yesterday. $1300

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy Bear

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
Hijacking the thread to shamelessly plug. I have a stealth for sale that came off my 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road. Few scratches from my RTT. I'm in Northern VA. Let me know if any of you are interested. It's available now since I sold my 4runner yesterday.
Hope that you are still able to enjoy the trails in some way or another.
I hope that you are able to find a buyer here or the Craig's List & that everything works out for you Chasing_Windmills

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
Nice Photos,
I would consider your Rack, but Gobi has a $500.00 cancel policy . . . and I am waiting it out patiently

Contributor I

Amissville, VA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
Stenholm
Member #

I hear that, you will love it when it comes in. I suggest someone with very strong shoulders to help install it. Or some type of a lift like people use for their RTT's or canoes etc. to put it on. It is heavy in the cumbersome way and will have you worried about taking paint off your roof for sure. That was the hardest part of the install for me.

Reactions: Huggy Bear

Huggy Bear

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Buckaroo
Last Name
Rider
I hear that, you will love it when it comes in. I suggest someone with very strong shoulders to help install it. Or some type of a lift like people use for their RTT's or canoes etc. to put it on. It is heavy in the cumbersome way and will have you worried about taking paint off your roof for sure. That was the hardest part of the install for me.
I am having it sent directly to my Mechanic shop where they have a team of Mechanics and such.
I found them (88 Rotors) on YouTube and they are a 20 minutes away from me.
88 Rotors, all they do is Suspensions , Suspensions & more Suspensions.
Occasionally they also do Bumper Installs, Body Chops, Body Mods, Rack installs and everything else you may need.
It's just a waiting game now.

I have spend hours on their channels learning the technical terms of Suspensions Systems for 4Runners, Tacoma & Tundras . . .
They are pushing out 6 to 8 vehicles a day.
This is my one guilty pleasure (their build channel) ;-)

Reactions: Chasing_Windmills