Gobi roof rack install

• HTML tutorial

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I used the same vid as well. It is not difficult at all as everything bolts on. An extra hand helps lifting the rack up for mounting. Single person, you can ratchet it up the ceiling and drive the Jeep from under.

Beamer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Patterson, California
Member #

I've been thinking about getting one of these. I have a non-stock bumper on the back that has the spare tire (not on the door like the OEM). Would this be an issue mounting the Gobi to the frame? I don't think that it would but i figured that i would ask someone that has 'been there'.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
It should be fine, but they'll let you know if not when you order it. I know one of the things they ask is what bumper you have, they will customize the mounting options if needed to suit your bumper

McKingfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

I just did it a few weeks ago with an AEV bumper it was 3 out 5 install. I heard it is easier with the stock bumper.
Fakawi, I may have to hit you up for some guidance once my Gobi rack comes in. I placed my order three weeks ago and I have AEV bumpers. The Gobi rep said the new Version 3 rear mounts will work with stock and AEV bumpers, no special adaptors needed. I don't expect delivery till December (hopefully).

Fakawi Tribe

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

IMG_0767.JPG
Fakawi, I may have to hit you up for some guidance once my Gobi rack comes in. I placed my order three weeks ago and I have AEV bumpers. The Gobi rep said the new Version 3 rear mounts will work with stock and AEV bumpers, no special adaptors needed. I don't expect delivery till December (hopefully).
I will be more than happy to answer any questions. I am not familiar with earlier version, but v3 went on nicely. I will message you my email.

Last edited:

McKingfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

Whenever I take delivery of my rack I'll post up some pics of the new V3 rear mounts if your still curious as to what they changed. All I was told was that with the new rear mounts, it would not be necessary to purchase the AEV specific rear mounts which were previously sold as an individual item. Now it's just a matter of waiting and waiting until it arrives.

McKingfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

I received an email stating my rack should be shipping around January 8th! Then I have to figure out how to get that all installed.

McKingfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

So this arrived today. Hopefully I'll be able to install it this weekend. I'll take some pics of the new V3 mounting brackets once I crack open the box.20180119_211205.jpg