Goal Zero 400 and ARB wiring

• HTML tutorial

GrnRubi

Rank 0

Traveler I

Montana
Need a bit of help, hoping someone can assist...I have a Goal Zero 400 running my ARB 50 qt, Im wanting to daisy chain another battery to the GZ for a bit more capacity. I have seen my GZ shut down the outlets overnight even though Im sitting at 70-80% plus. From a bit of homework, it seems this is a known issue blamed on the cigarette adapter not reaching all the way into the socket. That was dealt with by offering a plug but my I am using an 8mm plug to 12 volt then to my ARB. I am wondering if wiring the ARB directly to this additional battery would have any benefit at all. It seems as though the GZ and the ARB fight sometimes due to built-in safety measures in each system. If I wire directly to the additional battery will this eliminate the safety measure in the GZ and only rely on the frig? Does this make any sense at all? I just wrap my head around why the frig is shutting off, something it tripping it but I cant figure out what it is.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Have you turned off any voltage protection on the ARB side? Since this is not your vehicle battery there really isn't a point in protecting the Goal Zero battery.

The 400 looks very under-powered to run a fridge. "Mini Fridge 7 Hours" per the Goal Zero site. That may be your primary issue. How would adding a 2nd battery compare to the larger capacity Yeti 1000? Can you generate the same power? I simply am not familar with the options for the Goal Zero Yeti's.

GrnRubi

Rank 0

Traveler I

Montana
You cant actually run the ARB without voltage protection (HI, Med, Low)...It is set on low. I have run the frig for several years with the 400, just have to keep a decent charge on her. There have been a lot of people running this setup, despite what the GZ website says.

By adding another battery you arent upping the power it can put out you are simply doubling the storage of power. I don't doubt the 1000 or higher would be a better option, just not spending that kind of cash when I know this will do the job. Just need to figure out where the miscommunication is coming from.